Explaining reasons to addiction to people who have never gone through it...

For recovery discussion
Lola97
Forums Newcomer

Explaining reasons to addiction to people who have never gone through it...

Post by Lola97 »

Hello everyone,

I am from Uganda and the stigma around alcoholism is so big, even though alcohol is so openly sold and consumed, most especially in villages like mine. I have recently been asked why I "don't just quit drinking" and it made me think. Why can't I stop? What caused me to start drinking in first place? I think being unemployed for many years and being exposed to drinking within our community on a daily basis have been some of the most important factors. Boredom, feeling worthless and purposeless, wanting a feeling of belonging. I don't really know. How can I explain it to someone who has never gone through it?
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Explaining reasons to addiction to people who have never gone through it...

Post by PaigeB »

Lola97 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:35 am Hello everyone,

I am from Uganda and the stigma around alcoholism is so big, even though alcohol is so openly sold and consumed, most especially in villages like mine. I have recently been asked why I "don't just quit drinking" and it made me think. Why can't I stop? What caused me to start drinking in first place? I think being unemployed for many years and being exposed to drinking within our community on a daily basis have been some of the most important factors. Boredom, feeling worthless and purposeless, wanting a feeling of belonging. I don't really know. How can I explain it to someone who has never gone through it?
Personally, I have found it relatively impossible to explain my alcoholism to a person who does not have the disease. Even doctors, counselors and my husband! I tell them I have an allergy that once I take a drink, it makes me want more & more. Sometimes I tell them that "I break out - not in hives, but in handcuffs!"

That is why I find AA meetings to be such a place of peace and comfort. All of the people there have my disease, think the way I think and have acted the way that I act! BONUS? We have a common solution to the drinking problem!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
MyNameIsBetsy
Trusted Servant

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

Hello Lola, welcome.

The most amazing thing would happen to me every time I drank a alcoholic drink . . . I couldn't stop at just that one. And even though I knew I couldn't stop at just one, each day I would still drink again. And, I would get drunk.

Oh sure, once in a great while if some special event was happening, I could limit myself to one or two, but once that event was over I would go home and finish the drinking job.

Again and again for 30 years. I was a daily drinker and I just couldn't stop on my own.

One day I met a bunch of other people who had some of the same experiences I had. They also could not stop once they had drank the first drink. I learned a lot about alcoholism. It is an illness and there is no cure. What we can do is stop drinking and learn to live in such a way that we choose to NOT drink. We get to the point that we enjoy life so much that we don't want to ruin it with alcohol.

Getting others to understand us is hard. Most other people just don't understand - it is outside their experience. And it isn't really important that they understand. What is important is that WE understand.

I met a bunch of sober alcoholics in Alcoholics Anonymous. They showed me how to do this life sober.

Here's some information on our program. Click on the link to read our basic text: https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous . Read some of the chapters and ask yourself if you can identify with what the author is saying. If so, you might be one of us and benefit from this life changing, and life saving program.

Here are two Ugandan telephone numbers you might try: MTN: 0760 613 075, and AirTel: 0740 613 074. I'll be that phone is answered by someone who is an active member of Alcoholics Anonymous in your own country. Their phone numbers are listed on a webpage for AA in Uganda. Or, try searching online for AA and Uganda and you will come up with some meeting locations.

Forget what the other people think. Save yourself!

Betsy
an alcoholic
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Back when I was still drinking, I couldn't explain it to myself, so what chance would I have of explaining it or the reasons behind it to someone else. Also any explanations or reasons that I would come up with, only served to justify further drinking. Reading the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous and then getting into action on what I read by working the twelve steps, provided me with a lot of insight into the reasons behind my drinking. I can try to explain to people, but the only ones who get it are the ones that have also read the big book and worked the steps.

Check out a meeting. Get a big book and read it. Work the steps. I can only say that these are the best things I have ever done in my life and they gave me a life beyond my wildest imagination. =smile