April 16th Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

April 16th Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

ANGER: A "DUBIOUS LUXURY"

If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us. They may be the dubious luxury of normal men, but for alcoholics these things are poison.
— ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 66

"Dubious luxury." How often have I remembered those words. It's not just anger that's best left to nonalcoholics; I built a list including justifiable resentment, self-pity, judgmentalism, self-righteousness, false pride and false humility. I'm always surprised to read the actual quote. So well have the principles of the program been drummed into me that I keep thinking all of these defects are listed too. Thank God I can't afford them—or I surely would indulge in them.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
DaveP1951
Forums Contributor

Re: April 16th Daily Reflection

Post by DaveP1951 »

"The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us"

Interesting quote. It made me think about how many times I have read this particular sentence and never gave thought to what Bill meant by "grouch and brain storm." So this morning this post of the Daily Reflections promoted me to research what Bill meant by those two words. Here is what I found:

When Bill speaks of "the grouch" he was referring to "a fit of temper."
As far as "brainstorm: Now-a-days "brainstorm" means a group of people throwing around various ideas in order to resolve an issue or find a better solution. But when it was first used, brainstorm meant something very different: According to the 1934 edition of the Unabridged dictionary, it meant “a violent, transient mental derangement manifested in a maniacal outburst.” The Oxford English Dictionary also includes in its definition “a sudden and severe attack of mental illness” then adds to the negative impression of the word with “a temporary loss of reason, a serious error of judgment.” The Funk and Wagnall’s dictionary of 1913 defined it as “impulsive insanity.”

Thanks for posting that reflection Brock. I feel like I now have a better understanding of what Bill was trying to get across to the reader.