April 6th Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

April 6th Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

A LIFETIME PROCESS

We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people. . . .
— ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 52

These words remind me that I have more problems than alcohol, that alcohol is only a symptom of a more pervasive disease. When I stopped drinking I began a lifetime process of recovery from unruly emotions, painful relationships, and unmanageable situations. This process is too much for most of us without help from a Higher Power and our friends in the Fellowship. When I began working the Steps of the A.A. program, many of these tangled threads unraveled but, little by little, the most broken places of my life straightened out. One day at a time, almost imperceptibly, I healed. Like a thermostat being turned down, my fears diminished. I began to experience moments of contentment. My emotions became less volatile. I am now once again a part of the human family.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
DaveP1951
Forums Contributor

Re: April 6th Daily Reflection

Post by DaveP1951 »

We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a prey to misery and depression, we couldn't make a living, we had a feeling of uselessness, we were full of fear, we were unhappy, we couldn't seem to be of real help to other people. . . .
— ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 52/i]

Pretty much sums up my life before entering AA. Well other than the "
we couldn't make a living"
part. Which is interesting in a way. I t makes me realize that the things I can relate to in terms of identifying with others in recovery are not he behaviors but the way I felt/feel and the way I thought/think. It makes me realize that AA's message is not so much "I did this and I did that " but more so "when I was drinking, I thought this way or I felt this way."
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

DaveP1951 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:08 am It makes me realize that the things I can relate to in terms of identifying with others in recovery are not he behaviors but the way I felt/feel and the way I thought/think. It makes me realize that AA's message is not so much "I did this and I did that " but more so "when I was drinking, I thought this way or I felt this way."
We were just talking about this at my Homegroup last night where we had a newcomer. We may have several different behaviors and "bottoms" but our thinking is quite the same. No matter where we are on the journey down, we can identify with "I thought people hated me and were just putting up with me" thinking - though the following actions differed - because I bought drinks, because I was family, because I was good at my job, etc. Whether we be young or old, new or with decades sober - these mental "bedevilments" remain readily identifiable as alcoholic thinking.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
DaveP1951
Forums Contributor

Post by DaveP1951 »

We may have several different behaviors and "bottoms" but our thinking is quite the same./quote]

So true Paige. And if I may add to your above comment........Although I did share some of those behaviors with others (trouble at home, trouble with the law, trouble at work) when I heard them speak of those events the connection on a personal level was rather insignificant. Hell, most of the people I drank with were in and out of some sort of trouble. But, those thoughts and feelings were not often expressed in the bar.

What made the connection deeper to these AA folks was the fact we shared the same thoughts and feelings while we were going thru these troubles. It was not until I came into AA and heard these thoughts and feelings openly expressed that I really began to connect with others.
Behaviors or if you will "War Stories" are important to only a small degree.