April 5th Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

April 5th Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

TRUE BROTHERHOOD

We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends, to be a worker among workers, to be a useful member of society. Always we tried to struggle to the top of the heap, or to hide underneath it. This self-centered behavior blocked a partnership relation with any one of those about us. Of true brotherhood we had small comprehension.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 53

This message contained in Step Four was the first one I heard loud and clear; I hadn't seen myself in print before! Prior to my coming into A.A., I knew of no place that could teach me how to become a person among persons. From my very first meeting, I saw people doing just that and I wanted what they had. One of the reasons that I'm a happy, sober alcoholic today is that I'm learning this most important lesson.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: April 5th Daily Reflection

Post by PaigeB »

We have not once sought to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends, to be a worker among workers, to be a useful member of society. Always we tried to struggle to the top of the heap, or to hide underneath it. This self-centered behavior blocked a partnership relation with any one of those about us. Of true brotherhood we had small comprehension.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 53

... I hadn't seen myself in print before! Prior to my coming into A.A., I knew of no place that could teach me how to become a person among persons. ... I saw people doing just that and I wanted what they had.
I don't know how much I have said this before, but at first this passage angered me! OF COURSE I was a giving person and ALWAYS sought these things! I looked for them under the pile and on top of the pile! But importantly, here some 11+ years later, I see it now. The word "blocked" is the important thing... I was blind to the realities of my relations. In fact, my moment of clarity came when I saw Love bouncing off of my bubble. My son was over to raid the fridge for lunch and on his way out the door, we exchanged I love you's. I FELT and I KNEW that my love was bouncing off my bubble too! I was not connecting and my EGO was what was in the way. I didn't know that at the time, but it was within a week that I began my calls to the AA Hotline. It might have been that very night! That moment is seared into my brain. I WANTED "true brotherhood" and "to be one in a family, to be a friend among friends," but I had been looking in all the wrong places.

I am so grateful that unconditional love has been what I wanted for myself because it was the first thing I sought to give others. First in the rooms of AA and then with family, friends and society. I am able to Love now. I am able to BE loved now. I Know that my Ego blocks me and humility is my Friend - my glasses in the blindness. =ugeek :shock: =geek
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB