1st April Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

1st April Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

LOOKING WITHIN

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 42

Step Four is the vigorous and painstaking effort to discover what the liabilities in each of us have been, and are. I want to find exactly how, when, and where my natural desires have warped me. I wish to look squarely at the unhappiness this has caused others and myself. By discovering what my emotional deformities are, I can move toward their correction. Without a willing and persistent effort to do this, there can be little sobriety or contentment for me.

To resolve ambivalent feelings, I need to feel a strong and helpful sense of myself. Such an awareness doesn't happen overnight, and no one's selfawareness is permanent. Everyone has the capacity for growth, and for self-awareness, through an honest encounter with reality. When I don't avoid issues but meet them directly, always trying to re-solve them, they become fewer and fewer.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
DaveP1951
Forums Contributor

Re: 1st April Daily Reflection

Post by DaveP1951 »

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 42/i]

Only three Steps — the Fifth (where we open up to some one else), the Ninth (where we make amends to others we have harmed), and Twelfth (where we carry the message to other alcoholics)— involve other people. The other nine concern themselves with the alcoholic themselves. The crux of this program is to promote change. Not change in the world or other people in that world but change in ourselves.

Although this step primarily promotes introspection it is also important to bear in mind that "sometimes others know us better than we think we know ourselves.' Sometimes, being aware of how others are reacting to me, can give me insight into my own character.