31st March Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

31st March Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

NO ONE DENIED ME LOVE

On the A.A. calendar it was Year Two. . . . A newcomer appeared at one of these groups. . . . He soon proved that his was a desperate case, and that above all he wanted to get well. . . . [He said], “Since I am the victim of another addiction even worse stigmatized than alcoholism, you may not want me among you.”
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, pp. 141-42

I came to you—a wife, mother, woman who had walked out on her husband, children, family. I was a drunk, a pill-head, a nothing. Yet no one denied me love, caring, a sense of belonging. Today, by God’s grace and the love of a good sponsor and a home group, I can say that—through you in Alcoholics Anonymous—I am a wife, a mother, a grandmother and a woman. Sober. Free of pills. Responsible.

Without a Higher Power I found in the Fellowship, my life would be meaningless. I am full of gratitude to be a member of good standing in Alcoholics Anonymous.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Strue
Forums Newcomer

Re: 31st March Daily Reflection

Post by Strue »

I'll probably never forget my first meeting in Shanghai. I came there after threat of being kicked out by my then girlfriend because of my daily drinking. Didn't know if I belong or what AA was actually about.
I was standing nervously in front of the door of the club and some fellows arrived together and asked if I'm new. They gave me coffee and tried to cheer me up before the meeting as I was super afraid/shaky. During the meeting a fellow got a 12 years chip which gave me lots of hope and I even went to ask him after the meeting if he really means 12 years without any alcohol, as it was out of my imagination. I only realized it much later how much hope that really gave me that it is possible.

One guy took me to the side after the meeting and talked to me and gave me a Big Book. I didn't really get anything from what he told me, but it was the first time in years that someone cared about me and showed me love. The only thing I really got is that I should come back tomorrow, which I did. Actually he talked about the traits of the alcoholic, but I wasn't able to follow. I only actually starting to work the Step a few months later, whiteknuckled it through the first three months with meetings and fellowship, till that got unbearable.

Fast forward three years, I'm married to the woman who wanted to kick me out at that time, have a one year old daughter and do the same to the Newcomer as they did to me when I first came in. And that's only be because a few guys showed love to me and made me feel welcome.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: 31st March Daily Reflection

Post by PaigeB »

Strue wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 am I'll probably never forget my first meeting in Shanghai. I came there after threat of being kicked out by my then girlfriend because of my daily drinking. Didn't know if I belong or what AA was actually about.
I was standing nervously in front of the door of the club and some fellows arrived together and asked if I'm new. They gave me coffee and tried to cheer me up before the meeting as I was super afraid/shaky. During the meeting a fellow got a 12 years chip which gave me lots of hope and I even went to ask him after the meeting if he really means 12 years without any alcohol, as it was out of my imagination. I only realized it much later how much hope that really gave me that it is possible.

One guy took me to the side after the meeting and talked to me and gave me a Big Book. I didn't really get anything from what he told me, but it was the first time in years that someone cared about me and showed me love. The only thing I really got is that I should come back tomorrow, which I did. Actually he talked about the traits of the alcoholic, but I wasn't able to follow. I only actually starting to work the Step a few months later, whiteknuckled it through the first three months with meetings and fellowship, till that got unbearable.

Fast forward three years, I'm married to the woman who wanted to kick me out at that time, have a one year old daughter and do the same to the Newcomer as they did to me when I first came in. And that's only be because a few guys showed love to me and made me feel welcome.
Thanks Strue! I loved hearing your story.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB