29th March Daily Reflection

Daily Readings, feel free to add your thoughts on the topic; share your experience, strength & hope with us. The Daily Reflection is reprinted from “Daily Reflections” with permission from A.A. World Services Incorporated and is reproduced in part here within the closed (registered users only) forums of the E-AA Group of Alcoholics Anonymous. This book is not reproduced in full within our venue.
Brock
Trusted Servant

29th March Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

TRUSTED SERVANTS

They are servants. Theirs is the sometimes thankless privilege of doing the group’s chores.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 134

In Zorba the Greek, Nikos Kazantzakis describes an encounter between his principal character and an old man busily at work planting a tree. “What is it you are doing?” Zorba asks. The old man replies: “You can see very well what I’m doing, my son, I’m planting a tree.” “But why plant a tree,” Zorba asks, “if you won’t be able to see it bear fruit?” And the old man answers: “I, my son, live as though I were never going to die.” The response brings a faint smile to Zorba’s lips and, as he walks away, he exclaims with a note of irony: “How strange—I live as though I were going to die tomorrow!”

As a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, I have found that the Third Legacy is a fertile soil in which to plant the tree of my sobriety. The fruits I harvest are wonderful: peace, security, understanding and twenty-four hours of eternal fulfillment; and with the soundness of mind to listen to the voice of my conscience when, in silence, it gently speaks to me, saying: You must let go in service. There are others who must plant and harvest.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: 29th March Daily Reflection

Post by Brock »

...and with the soundness of mind to listen to the voice of my conscience when, in silence, it gently speaks to me, saying: You must let go in service. There are others who must plant and harvest.
This is very true, I have met people who hold on to service positions without thought that someone else might like to do them. When I came in the lady who had done the coffee at the group for a couple of years was most upset that I asked to take over, as if it was an insult to her coffee-making skills. Another fellow to this day boasts about the amount of service he has done in AA, saying “I made coffee in my group for ten years.”

But in recent times my experience is the opposite, it’s like pulling teeth trying to get volunteers for service, and the ones doing it do end up in the position for years on end, but it is not by choice, usually, they would happily step aside.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: 29th March Daily Reflection

Post by PaigeB »

Brock wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:34 pm
...and with the soundness of mind to listen to the voice of my conscience when, in silence, it gently speaks to me, saying: You must let go in service. There are others who must plant and harvest.
But in recent times my experience is the opposite, it’s like pulling teeth trying to get volunteers for service, and the ones doing it do end up in the position for years on end, but it is not by choice, usually, they would happily step aside.
We had a gal at our home group that was always first in the kitchen to wash dishes. She spoke up at a business meeting that she had done well past her service commitment (we did not have an official clean-up person) and we immediately put it on a monthly rotating schedule! Sometimes these things are worth evaluating as a group before we assume things are all good. :shock:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB