One member, one group, one vote

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.
Carrie
Forums Enthusiast

One member, one group, one vote

Post by Carrie »

One member One group One vote

This concept has kept me in line for a few years now. Thank God, for your guys's sake ;)

When I was new I thought I had a right to belong to multiple home groups.

I once had AA service positions all over Cental Oregon. I had no idea what the concept of a home group was. I just assumed that I had a right to be heard and to do service and to vote at any meeting I attended. So I did. I got a lot done too by the way. I was successful in having the Lord's Prayer removed from the majority of all groups around central Oregon. To this day there are still only two groups remaining in Bend that close with the Lord's Prayer.

I did eventually get a service sponsor who helped me to learn what a Home Group was. Not by choice, but more of a mandated service sponsor. He elected himself for that position

I was sitting up to a table at what was probably my third or fourth business meeting of the month, when Shawn came up to me introduced himself as my service sponsor, and slapped my first service manual down in front of me on the table. He explained to me that he had taken the liberty of pre-highlighting some things I needed to read. Anyone want to take a guess at what part it was? You guessed it. Home group membership. The part about being one among many. One member, one group, one vote. I was appalled!

But I was definitely intrigued with this new book that I had not seen before. I had never even heard of the 12 Concepts. I thought this was just a 12-step program. And the Traditions, well, back then those were just something to help balance out the wall. And of course give the old-timers something to complain about.

Im happy to report that since more has been revealed I have reluctantly been able to put my ego aside, and have been a member of ONLY ONE group at a time since then.

I have found out however that if I want to do additional service outside of my group, and my group feels as though I'm pulling my weight, there are lots of different levels of service outside of the group that I've been able to be a part of. Intergroup, District, committee work etc. But I understand today that I am a member of only one group. And I am responsible to that group. I am responsible for making sure I support my home group first and foremost. Both monetarily and physically. My home group is where I cast my vote on, not just group issues, but AA as a whole issues as well. And like any member, I only have one vote. The true meaning of anonymity. Being one among many.

(Side note, could you imagine how screwed up our membership census would be if everyone were allowed to have as many homegroups as they wished? LOL hahaha)

Thank you guys for helping me. For having love and tolerance with me. I've come to really appreciate my teachers. The members who have come before me who gently help me and guide me in the right direction, even when I think I know better.

Now I get to give back what was so freely given to me by sharing with you guys today. Thank you for letting me share some of my experience, strength and Hope.
MyNameIsBetsy
Trusted Servant

Re: One member, one group, one vote

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

I was successful in having the Lord's Prayer removed from the majority of all groups around central Oregon.
I have very recently experienced the effect of such a vote on my own homegroup. It may take a long while for all the resentments to resolve.
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

MyNameIsBetsy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:26 pm
I was successful in having the Lord's Prayer removed from the majority of all groups around central Oregon.
I have very recently experienced the effect of such a vote on my own homegroup. It may take a long while for all the resentments to resolve.
Oh I hope that is not the case with our group - I doubt it is. A while back a member (not me the atheist) suggested we change closing with the Lord's Prayer to saying the 3rd Step Prayer. If there was any animosity, it is not apparent.

Good Luck.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

November 21st
A CLASSIC PRAYER

Lord, make me a channel for thy peace—that where there is hatred, I may bring love—that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness—that where there is discord, I may bring harmony—that where there is error, I may bring truth—that where there is doubt, I may bring faith—that where there is despair, I may bring hope—that where there are shadows, I may bring light—that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted—to understand, than to be understood—to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds. It is by forgiving that one is forgiven. It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life. Amen.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 99

No matter where I am in my spiritual growth, the St. Francis prayer helps me improve my conscious contact with the God of my understanding.
I think that one of the great advantages of my faith in God is that I do not understand Him, or Her, or It.
It may be that my relationship with my Higher Power is so fruitful that I do not have to understand.
All that I am certain of is that if I work the Eleventh Step regularly, as best I can, I will continue to improve my conscious contact, I will know His will for me, and I will have the power to carry it out.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB