How to find a sponsor during quarantine?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Moonflower3
Forums Newcomer

How to find a sponsor during quarantine?

Post by Moonflower3 »

Hello guys, I’m in a bit of a struggle. I feel like I really need to start the programme, but the lady who were supposed to sponsor disappeared. I was really shy when I used to go to the meetings, and the first one to leave, hence I don’t really have any other numbers etc I just wonder if there are any other ways to find a sponsor during quarantine time?

Many thanks
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: How to find a sponsor during quarantine?

Post by PaigeB »

We have a temp sponsor program here at e-aa
Here you go:
http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 »

Moonflower3 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:44 am Hello guys, I’m in a bit of a struggle. I feel like I really need to start the programme, but the lady who were supposed to sponsor disappeared. I was really shy when I used to go to the meetings, and the first one to leave, hence I don’t really have any other numbers etc I just wonder if there are any other ways to find a sponsor during quarantine time?

Many thanks
Welcome. You will find contact telephone helpline numbers for your local area on the site below. It may be possible to arrange a sponsor from your area.

https://aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

Meanwhile, we provide a temporary sponsor facility to help you get started on the Programme:

http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

An excellent introduction on sponsorship, permanent or temporary, with questions and answers, is this pamphlet
from GSO :

Questions and Answers on Sponsorship:
http://aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf  
Kellys
Forums Newcomer

Post by Kellys »

I have tried to request a temporary sponsor but I never get a reply. Maybe I didn’t do it correctly.
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 »

Kellys wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:59 am I have tried to request a temporary sponsor but I never get a reply. Maybe I didn’t do it correctly
Welcome Kelly.

I assigned you a sponsor on Monday 22nd. You should have heard by now so please check your spam folder.

Meanwhile, I have also contacted the sponsor assigned to you.
Kellys
Forums Newcomer

Post by Kellys »

Jojo2 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:17 am
Kellys wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:59 am I have tried to request a temporary sponsor but I never get a reply. Maybe I didn’t do it correctly
Welcome Kelly.

I assigned you a sponsor on Monday 22nd. You should have heard by now so please check your spam folder.

Meanwhile, I have also contacted the sponsor assigned to you.
Thank you, I checked and I haven’t received an email for anyone yet. I will keep an eye out for it.
MyNameIsBetsy
Trusted Servant

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

I just wonder if there are any other ways to find a sponsor during quarantine time?
Hello Moonflower3, welcome.

You might have to work at this just a bit harder during the quarantine, but it is still very doable to get a local sponsor. Here's how I suggest you go about doing it . . .

1) call your local office of Alcoholics Anonymous. Usually each geographic region has a "local" central office. Explain to them that you are new and need some help understanding how to get to zoom meetings. Most local AA groups have gone online for the quarantine. Your local office can help you find them online.

2) go to a meeting, or two, or three. When the meeting secretary asks if there are any newcomers . . . let them know you are new! We are all new at some point and there is no reason to be shy about this. It will let others in the room know you are there.

3) listen to how the various people share about their sobriety. You might find your head nodding up and down to a few people whose shares you can relate.

4) then . . . this takes courage . . . raise your hand and speak up. Share about whatever the topic is, and then say you are looking for a local sponsor (or a temporary local sponsor).

5) hang around after the meeting ends so you can talk with a few people. One of them might turn out to be your sponsor.

6) keep doing this until you meet a few AAers in your local community. Then keep doing it because going to meetings, working the steps, and hanging out with sober AAers is what keeps us sober. (It certainly is what is keeping me sober today!)

Welcome. You never have to drink again!

Betsy, an alcoholic
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."