Think Think Think

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
TomInOhio
Forums Newcomer

Think Think Think

Post by TomInOhio »

Hi. My name is Tom and I'm an alcoholic. Not a newcomer, but this is my first post.

Sitting with a friend after the meeting last night and I was telling him about a lead I'd listened to on youtube the night before. The lead, from 1962 I think, was Clarence Snyder (no doubt many here will know he was a prominent force in getting AA off the ground in Cleveland).

Mr. Snyder talks of how we alcoholics are a sensitive, emotional people in what for me was a particularly interesting part of his message. He mentions that he sometimes has a desire to flip over the "Think" sign when he walks into a meeting. His point was that our feelings tend to override our thoughts process and we must work the steps to change the way we feel about things. Anyway I'm telling my friend about this last night and he asks if I knew where the "Think Think Think" saying we see in most of the rooms came from. I didn't know and am hoping someone here does. I get Mr. Snyder's point, and I get the fundamental idea behind the "Think Think Think" signs but am wondering about their origin. In the Big Book on pg 86 it has some great guidelines for mapping out the day, etc. but am wondering if there was another origin of the signs.

thanks,
T
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Re: Think Think Think

Post by Niagara »

hi there Tom,

Welcome to E-AA :)

I'm not an AA history buff (yet) but we do have those who are here, so I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question.

In the meantime I just wanted to wave a hello!
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt
Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R »

My first year in the rooms I was disturbed by the 'Think, Think, Think' card. Probably as I was unable to have a clear thought due to the clamour of so many voices in my head. My sponsor went so far as suggesting I don't go inside my own head without a responsible adult present :roll: :lol: Good advice at the time!
As to the history on the principle that Google knows more than everything (Think about that :lol: ) I've searched and found nothing concrete other than a general agreement that it originated in the Cleveland area in the 40's.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Welcome, Tom.

I was told normal people typically only need to "think" once where we alcoholics are prone to needing our thinking checked even after think, think, thinking. Hence, it was suggested I give some serious thought to letting someone else do my thinking for me for a while.

Another possibility might be in our having been given three vital (necessary for life) things to think about before pondering Step Three:

"(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
"(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
"(c) That God could and would if He were sought." (page 60)

In the first draft of our book, this followed that:

"If you are not convinced on these vital issues, you ought to re-read the book to this point or else throw it away!
"If you are, you are now at step three..."

Here are three things I still think, think, think about often:

"I still thought I could control the situation..." (page 5)
"I, who had thought so well of myself and my abilities, of my capacity to surmount obstacles, was cornered at last." (page 8)
"Our very lives, as ex-problem drinkers, depend upon our constant thought of others and how we may help meet their needs." (page 20)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

This and "Think through the Drink" is very very logical and very catchy works from an awakened standpoint or a hard-drinker. But once the obsession hits, its all back to square one. The powerlessness is poignantly illustrated by this paragraph in italics:

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

Yet, most of the shares is about how they don't have control over how much they drink. They don't realize that, the dodn't have control over whether they are going to drink or not in the first place. We will have more recovery, if the fellowship shift our focus to the timeframe "preceding the first drink".
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

An old timer in my city often tells how when he was new (30+ yrs ago) that an oldtimer walked him around the room pointing to the signs on the wall repeating, "That's a good one" until he got to Think Think Think where he said, "That one is not for you!" and kept walking past. :lol: I can identify with that.

For me this is a program of changing my thinking - from where the drink is the only solution I can think of (where if I think think think I will talk myself into a drink) to a program where drinking is not an option but I have many options for what might be the next "right action". I guess I always hear, this is an action program and seldom hear "think it through". Cause when I think about drinking, my next thought is usually "back up the truck and load 'er up!" which is only "give it a second thought" :lol:

I think you could probably call GSO and they might have the info you want right at their fingertips. I called once and they got back to me the same day! They are busy, but never too busy for an alcoholic to take a call! (212) 870-3400.

I really hope we get an answer to the question you pose! I love AA History!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Post by Duke »

My sponsor told me it meant that I should be prepared to articulate the reasons for deciding what action I need to take before making the decision. He told me it was a gentle reminder to stop acting on my feelings without conscious thought, which for me, is a pretty good description of self will run riot. I have no idea about its origin, however.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service »

TomInOhio wrote:Hi. My name is Tom and I'm an alcoholic. Not a newcomer, but this is my first post.

Sitting with a friend after the meeting last night and I was telling him about a lead I'd listened to on youtube the night before. The lead, from 1962 I think, was Clarence Snyder (no doubt many here will know he was a prominent force in getting AA off the ground in Cleveland).

Mr. Snyder talks of how we alcoholics are a sensitive, emotional people in what for me was a particularly interesting part of his message. He mentions that he sometimes has a desire to flip over the "Think" sign when he walks into a meeting. His point was that our feelings tend to override our thoughts process and we must work the steps to change the way we feel about things. Anyway I'm telling my friend about this last night and he asks if I knew where the "Think Think Think" saying we see in most of the rooms came from. I didn't know and am hoping someone here does. I get Mr. Snyder's point, and I get the fundamental idea behind the "Think Think Think" signs but am wondering about their origin. In the Big Book on pg 86 it has some great guidelines for mapping out the day, etc. but am wondering if there was another origin of the signs.

thanks,
T
Back when A.A was meaningful re: people knowing the meanings of sayings and words
There was 5 original meaningful slogans

Live and let live
Easy does it
But for the grace of God there go I
Think, Think, Think
First things first

This was their order , the reason why was obvious within there own sayings, before the outside system mocked the Think Think Think one. If you took the first word from the original five it would say Live easy but think first.
Now back to the outside sponsorship system good old Clarence S the man that claimed to be "the father of Alcoholics Anonymous) (indeed) - yes that abrasive personality who tried to take over A.A through stocks- You will see that the outside sponsorship system removed most of the Thing, Think, Think logos from meetings because it interfered with there outside system that was injected inside A.A after Bill W passed on. You mentioned page 86 a road map for living I find it meaningful it's on page 86 yet no where does it say call the outside sponsorship system as the system tells people calling it A.A - :idea:

The Think Think Think logo simply meant,

Think before you took the first drink
Think where you had been
Think where it will take you

Shhhhh don't tell your sponsor they think your thinking got you here, but really your thinking will keep you here, by the way your drinking got you here and its hard to think while drunk that's how our lives got unmanageable. Lol
good honest question
Rggreenbaum
Forums Newcomer

Post by Rggreenbaum »

Hi there

I got sober in Chicago with a big book thumper advisor and sweet professor church going lady sponsor. I am grateful they told me Think, Think, Think was not for me. Instead I should Pray, Pray, and then pray some more. My mind was not clear enough in the beginning. And, there few references to thinking in our basic text. In step three we think long and hard before taking this step. And, then when we recover, yes we do recover look at our title page, in step 11 on page 86 it tells us to use our brains. Thank A.A. for showing me how to work towards getting unblocked from G-d, and not challenging my brain which was warped by the obsession, my selfishness, self-centeredness, fear, and dishonesty, though I couldn’t see it without you members, a sponsor, and an ancient text from 1939 that I didn’t think applied to a hip chick like me, lol...

Think think think is from a member of the third group in Cleveland. He found it on an IBM device. It was his experience strength and hope. G-d bless you all. Be well... accepting powerlessness just means Lack of Power was my dilemma. If I’m homeless I have no home, penniless I need $$, and if I’m powerless I need a Power in my life. Thank u for keeping it simple I need that!

Regina
Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock »

Welcome here Regina, I really enjoyed your post, smiled at the big book thumper reference, we have a few similar here, myself included. I never knew where the think think think saying originated, thanks for that nice bit of AA history.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Rggreenbaum wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 pm Hi there

I got sober in Chicago with a big book thumper advisor and sweet professor church going lady sponsor. I am grateful they told me Think, Think, Think was not for me. Instead I should Pray, Pray, and then pray some more. My mind was not clear enough in the beginning. And, there few references to thinking in our basic text. In step three we think long and hard before taking this step. And, then when we recover, yes we do recover look at our title page, in step 11 on page 86 it tells us to use our brains. Thank A.A. for showing me how to work towards getting unblocked from G-d, and not challenging my brain which was warped by the obsession, my selfishness, self-centeredness, fear, and dishonesty, though I couldn’t see it without you members, a sponsor, and an ancient text from 1939 that I didn’t think applied to a hip chick like me, lol...

Think think think is from a member of the third group in Cleveland. He found it on an IBM device. It was his experience strength and hope. G-d bless you all. Be well... accepting powerlessness just means Lack of Power was my dilemma. If I’m homeless I have no home, penniless I need $$, and if I’m powerless I need a Power in my life. Thank u for keeping it simple I need that!

Regina
Thanks Regina! I really like the trivia tidbit!

I hope to see you around the boards - one hip-Chick to another!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
looking4peace
Forums Newcomer

Post by looking4peace »

Love your post, especially the part about lacking power in my life and needing power. Realizing that my higher power "God" is always there for me makes me feel that I have options in my life. I don't need to settle or remain stagnant. I can move forward and have goals for myself.
Thank you again!
Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock »

Welcome to e-AA looking4peace, love your user name. Sorry for the extra long delay in your first post approval, sometimes it takes a while for one us moderators to see these things, and it’s necessary due to the spam sites like this gets, if you post again it will go straight up.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

We need to understand AA is filled with people with various levels of affliction. We got to be careful what we consume. I am not sure if you have a silver chip for 30 day chip in your areas. Here in the south, the coin on one side, has the serenity prayer on one side and some slogans on the other. Time to call your sponsor is before we take a drink not after. Now looking at it, its such a simple thing right? How many realize when the alcoholic is that obsession mode, doesn't have the capability to even consider that proposition. There will be thousands who swear that they called their sponsor every time they had the urge and then after 3-5 years..... they did the steps and got the program. But it may not work for the deeply afflicted person. The guy/gal who gets cranky few days away from booze.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
Conan
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Conan »

Thinking obscures my feelings ... Prayer is supposed to obscure my thinking and salutes my feelings of spirituality ... I can not continue to think and I need the principle of surrender
My soul ... do not see Do not hear Do not speak ... Taste things only ... likes or dislikes ...