Pain & Growth

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Pain & Growth

Post by PaigeB »

This is such a good Reflection, I wanted to share it for Open Discussion.
. . . we know that the pains of drinking had to come before sobriety, and emotional turmoil before serenity.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 94

I love spending time in my garden feeding and pruning my beautiful flowers. One day, as I was busily snipping away, a neighbor stopped by. She commented, "Oh! Your plants are so beautiful, it seems such a shame to cut them back." I replied, "I know how you feel, but the excess must be removed so they can grow stronger and healthier." Later I thought that perhaps my plants feel pain, but God and I know it's part of the plan and I've seen the results. I was quickly reminded of my precious A.A. program and how we all grow through pain. I ask God to prune me when it's time, so I can grow.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Re: Pain & Growth

Post by Layne »

Pruning happens with or without my permission, so I might as well accept it and look for the gift that sometimes gets hidden and covered up by my conscious thinking when experiencing the pain of the act.

For me, I usually discover serenity when I investigate further and want what I get, as opposed to getting what I want. Either way, I always get what I need.
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac »

Pain from growth for me has been in two categories.
1) in my face with no way to get away except to surrender.
2) is down range and it is something that pops into my mind and it provides growth and through that growth I may have some pains that came from events I was callus to at that time.

I'm a chucklehead and it takes time for me to get it sometimes.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

positrac wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:13 pm Pain from growth for me has been in two categories.
1) in my face with no way to get away except to surrender.
2) is down range and it is something that pops into my mind and it provides growth and through that growth I may have some pains that came from events I was callus to at that time.

I'm a chucklehead and it takes time for me to get it sometimes.
OMG - you said, "chucklehead" LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
beginningagain7
Trusted Servant

Post by beginningagain7 »

If there is no pain then there is no growth.

By numbing our pain with alcohol it prevents us to grow through the trials that life brings. It is going through the pain that we can grow and become a better person.
Beginningagain4
John T.