I HAVE TO STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Re: I HAVE TO STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

Post by whenley68 »

Well, some good news the past couple days. I wanted to process it all and get some confirmations. I can say that after having been sought after by a former employer that I will be taking a new position that will see me in a rather large city. I just checked out the meetings on their website and it looks as though I will easily be able to do that thing I read about called Thirty in Thirty, that is like minimum of one meeting a day for thirty days. So I'm super stoked about that. They are a great company and they never wanted to see me leave, and I didn't either but the plant was 5 hours from my family. This other facility is 2.5 hours away. So I can be home from Friday night to Sunday evening. This is what I've been praying about was the wisdom to make the right choice. Where I went to work in order to be back up here with my family is a very toxic environment, very negative and oppressive, but I make super great money. But mentally it is unhealthy, so this is all so good. And I got me a sponsor too!

Thanks Lali, don't know what the f tough love is, but it has love in it so yeah, love you too I reckon.
Life is what you make it. Be on the winning side of things.

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

Congrats on 3 days sober and getting a sponser, Will. Wonderful!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

Hello All!!! Well today I celebrated 10 days clean and sober. Relocated to Omaha NE and am now in a place I can go to meetings. There is a club house that has meetings everyday and often many meetings in one day. I haven't completely lost the urge, but it hits me right after work. I go home and eat something and rest a bit, trying to remember HALT. And also I remind myself to "play the tape all the way through". Something I just learned. Usually I just think about how good it would be to have some shots and a cold beer and that is where it would stop. But now I play that all the way through to where I feel like crap, a loser etc and then I notice it isn't as appealing.

Thanks to all

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

Good job!
...a score card reading zero...

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna »

Hi Willy,
It really does work when you work it! It still amazes me at how simple this program is, one day at a time one foot in front of the other, one right decision at a time. It was the simple things that I learned in this program that helped me begin living one day at a time without a drink. Congratulations on 10 days, great to hear, thank you for sharing.
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

And also I remind myself to "play the tape all the way through".
Willy great job. Please start reading the big book and try to understand the true meaning of powerlessness. The book talks about the queer mental twist that precedes the first drink. These slogans "Play the take all the way through", "call you sponsor before your first drink" "don't drink even if your ass falls off" works at times but when we get trapped in daily emotional stuff, these techniques will not work.

Our so called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

And later on it talks about the defence coming from your higher power and being restored to sanity working the 12 steps.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Also want to add, there some people who may share they took several years to complete their inventory and rest of the steps and I am not here to argue their experience. I always try to point the newcomers to the basics, what our pioneers did. The best example is the story "He sold himself short" back in the book, where the person talks about how Dr. Bob helped him with his steps. They went through the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th in one afternoon. The next day the person travels to chicago to start AA there.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Avaneesh is right - our forebears did the Steps really fast - before they were actually Steps worked out by those who shaped the Big Book and later the 12 & 12. I did mine fast, then slow lol. The fast one was not very insightful, but I can tell you it gave me a feeling of accomplishment and the truth that I could indeed be helpful to those who still suffer.

So I hope you get to a meeting and stick your hand out. Newcomers can't fathom how someone managed to get 10 years, they want to know how to get 10 days! You are uniquely qualified to help them. AND to help us here at e-aa.... check in after work, as part of your rest period. I was here almost everyday after I found that I needed something everyday and sometimes at odd hours of the day. So that is Us. We'll be here!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

catcar
Forums Enthusiast

Post by catcar »

I am so sorry you are having a hard time! I felt terrible in the start and went to a couple of meetings that were horrible for me. I kept coming back and found ones that helped me. I hope you find something that works for you!

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

whenley68 wrote:Hello All!!! Well today I celebrated 10 days clean and sober. Relocated to Omaha NE and am now in a place I can go to meetings. There is a club house that has meetings everyday and often many meetings in one day. I haven't completely lost the urge, but it hits me right after work. I go home and eat something and rest a bit, trying to remember HALT. And also I remind myself to "play the tape all the way through". Something I just learned. Usually I just think about how good it would be to have some shots and a cold beer and that is where it would stop. But now I play that all the way through to where I feel like crap, a loser etc and then I notice it isn't as appealing.

Thanks to all
Congratulations on 10 days clean and sober!

It sounds like Omaha has great AA meeting groups. Wonderful!

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

Yes, Omaha has been wonderful to me. 16 days sober has also been good for me. I made a lot of changes the first day I arrived here, not just the drinking being left behind, but a lifestyle change as well. I have lost 13 lbs and have found a new direction I want to go in life, and alcohol has no place in this path I'm on. One Day At A Time is what I have read and I believe it is probably one of the best life philosophy's I've ever read, just ahead of Easy Does It.

All I need to do is show up and get out of the way, because I am my own worst enemy. Thank you God for redirecting my steps and helping me to get out of the vicious cycle, that muck and mire that was my life just a short while ago.

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

whenley68 wrote:Yes, Omaha has been wonderful to me. 16 days sober has also been good for me. I made a lot of changes the first day I arrived here, not just the drinking being left behind, but a lifestyle change as well. I have lost 13 lbs and have found a new direction I want to go in life, and alcohol has no place in this path I'm on. One Day At A Time is what I have read and I believe it is probably one of the best life philosophy's I've ever read, just ahead of Easy Does It.

All I need to do is show up and get out of the way, because I am my own worst enemy. Thank you God for redirecting my steps and helping me to get out of the vicious cycle, that muck and mire that was my life just a short while ago.
Outstanding!

And congratulations on 16 days of sobriety!

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. Allowing us to share the miracle of sobriety once again through your eyes, mind and heart is such a privilege and a really huge fringe benefit of this program for me. It never gets old. What a ride, huh?

Keep coming back...

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

Good to hear you're doing ok Whenley

If you start to get that irritable, restless and discontent that us Alkies are usually familiar with, and the obsession returns the 12 steps are the only thing I found that put a hold on that (as long as I keep em up) Here's hoping you don't and it all goes smoothly from now on :)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to lock this topic shortly as it's reached it's 5 pages. Do feel free to start a new one though :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt