Sobriety vs Recovery

For recovery discussion
Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Sobriety vs Recovery

Post by Sweeney »

Just been wondering what other people's take is on this perspective.

From my experience being sober doesn't mean that I am recovering, I can have sobriety without recovery but not recovery without sobriety. And to say that today I do not work on staying sober I work hard on my recovery from alcoholism which means I stay sober as a byproduct of practicing a program in my daily life.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Sobriety vs Recovery

Post by avaneesh912 »

Yes I agree, if I continue to watch for my character defects and keep growing spiritually, the power we get connected by that solves all the problems. The book talk about a program for living not for being sober. I hear in meetings, where people say, "I stand a chance, if i don't drink today", i can't relate to that.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Post by Roberth »

Interesting post, my recovery started with sobriety but that doesn’t mean no one else can’t have recovery without sobriety. I am happy with what I found in AA and for me whether others can or can't just doesn’t matter to me. I found my easier softer way
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Sweeney wrote:
From my experience being sober doesn't mean that I am recovering, I can have sobriety without recovery but not recovery without sobriety. And to say that today I do not work on staying sober I work hard on my recovery from alcoholism which means I stay sober as a byproduct of practicing a program in my daily life.
My take on it is that it's probably true, but unnecessarily complicated.
Keeping it simple is vital for me.
:D

chefchip
Forums Long Timer

Post by chefchip »

Wow. This post made me think -- about me instead of everyone else, where my focus has been all day! And, no, that focus on everyone else hasn't been in a good way. I've been passing judgment all day. :roll:

For me, sobriety was an event. I know the day and the hour when it started. It also marked the beginning of my journey into recovery. Today I say I am recovered, but I only mean that in the simplest of ways. I AM recovered from my obsession to drink. As for the rest of the attributes I would like to have, they are a process. I am recovering, I am working, I am growing. Unless I attain enlightenment or am taken bodily to the heavens, I will be in recovery for the rest of my life, as well as any other existences I might experience.

I'm curious, Sweeney. Why do you ask?
Chip
The only constant in life is change.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

For me sobriety comes from not not taking a drink. Recovery comes from working the twelve steps.

Old Rocker
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Old Rocker »

Sober is a legal state of not being intoxicated.

Recovery is the steps in action. Recovered is the new life, one day at a time, running on a Higher Power.
Accepted the ABC's 01/04/95.
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

Thanks to the OP for the topic and to all who have shared on this topic of sobriety v recovery. You have helped me pause to reflect on the importance of working the 12 steps.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget