Great to be back on the path

For recovery discussion
Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Great to be back on the path

Post by Sweeney »

Just a quick update for everyone.

After treading water for a couple of months I've found a new sponsor as my old one is back in the UK. I'm eager to start working my programme again and will keep you all posted with my progress, struggles and such. There aren't as many meetings here as I'd like but there are enough.

Take it easy.

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Re: Great to be back on the path

Post by johnd »

Great to see you here Sweeney, Good Luck with the new Sponsor Just one day at a time. John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

There aren't as many meetings here as I'd like but there are enough.
Maybe its a blessing in disguise. You begin to rely on your higher power quickly. Looks like you are on the right track in working the program. Hope you got a good sponsor this time around.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

Good to read you again, Sweeney.

Thanks...Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Sweeney
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Sweeney »

Thanks for the words of support.
Avaneesh912 it wasn't a case of a "bad" sponsor I left the UK and I'm currently in Australia and really need f2f contact with my sponsor to really engage with the steps.

I do hope this hasn't come across as standoffish or aggressive just saying

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Sweeney wrote: I do hope this hasn't come across as standoffish or aggressive just saying
No, it hasn't come across that way. It's came across as someone who takes their sobriety (and their happiness) seriously. Well done to you. I'm a few years sober now and I've found that I can get off and on the path all the time, especially when I was newly sober. I do need constant motivation to practise, and that's where the meetings, my sponsor, and my sponsees come into play (and this forum also); they help me stay motivated to keep doing the stuff I know I should be doing.

Why do I need motivating? Because I'm great at procrastination. If something is ultra urgent - and if I don't do it the possible result is that something drastic will happen, I'll do it straight away. But if something isn't ultra urgent, I tend to put it off; and many of aspects of the Steps are like this (easily put off for another day), if I'm not motivated. It's like I must dodge a bat in the face right now, but going out to get a carrot I can always do another day.

So getting a new sponsor is great, and a few meetings per week will help with the motivation also; and don't forget about us on this site; we can help motivate each other too. "We", not "I" (step 1 refers).

Stay motivated!

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Post by kenyal »

Glad that you value the tool of sponsorship enough not to shortchange yourself.

Getting f2f help can be of more use than other less personal communications with someone out of town. Though I'll bet your old sponsor will still take your calls if he can be of use to you.