Beginning at the beginning of Alcoholics Anonymous

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Postby leejosepho » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:24 pm

"We have concluded to publish an anonymous volume setting forth the problem as we see it. We shall bring to the task our combined experience and knowledge. This should suggest a useful program for anyone concerned with a drinking problem." ("Alcoholics Anonymous", page 19 (1939))

© Copyright 2012 Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
All Right Reserved

============================================================

Greetings to all!

Stemming from within the e-AA moderation team, this is the first in a series of "Big Book Study" threads where all forum participants are welcomed to participate.

Please note: This series of threads is not a study guide -- A.A. is not about telling people what to think ...

... and yes, there can be some very-fine lines there. Nevertheless, the declared goal here -- my own personal desire -- is only that we do think about things actually shared within our book of overall and common-to-all "experience, strength and hope".

==========================================================

Forum links to recent studies of Forewords ...

Preface to Fourth Edition: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9571 “... this program can work for me too.”

Foreword to First Edition: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9573 “... precisely how we have recovered ...”

Foreword to Second Edition: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9577 “Ebby 'carries a message' to Bill”

Foreword to Third Edition: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9579 “... many different lifestyles ...”

Foreword to Fourth Edition: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9580 “Modem-to-modem or face-to-face ...”

Forum links to previous studies of Forewords ...

"XI-XII Preface (A Textbook for Our Society)": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4743

"XIII-XIV Forward to 1st edition (purpose of big book)": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4747

"XV-XVI Forward to the 2nd edition (Silkworth's remedy)": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4748

"XVII-XXI For to the 2nd ed (that all may find a solution)": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4752

"XXII-XIV For to the 3rd and 4th ed (Diversity)": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4754

Forum links to the chapters in our book ...

"The Doctor's Opinion": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9594 "... medical estimate of the plan of recovery ..."

"Bill's Story": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9595 "... and in the midst of the excitement I discovered liquor."

"There Is A Solution": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9596 "... people who normally would not mix. But ..."

"More About Alcoholism": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9597 "... countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people."

"We Agnostics": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9598 "... you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience ..."

"How It Works": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9599 "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

"Into Action": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9600 "... trying to get a new attitude, a new relationship with our Creator ..."

"Working With Others": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9601 "Carry this message to other alcoholics!"

"To Wives": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9602 "... for every man (or woman) who drinks others are involved ..."

"The Family Afterward": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9603 "... the common ground of tolerance, understanding and love."

"To Employers": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9604 "... the alcoholic as the employer sees him."

"A Vision For You": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9605 "... commence shoulder to shoulder your common journey."

Forum links to some related discussion threads ...

"Spiritual Experience" (Appendix II): viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2849

"My Big Book weekend": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5668

"Promises in the Big Book:": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6027

"Reading through the Big Book Study": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6291

"Changes to The BB": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8932

"What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9178

"Insights from our prepublication multilith (manuscript)": viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9453

"Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: Beginning at the beginning of "Alcoholics Anonymous"

Postby PaigeB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:50 pm

I have never done a Big Book study out side my reading with my sponsor. I look forward to listening and participating!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Beginning at the beginning of "Alcoholics Anonymous"

Postby leejosepho » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 am

By the time we get through this one, you just might have your Big Book all cross-referenced and footnoted!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Big Book Study