Online group by select invite only

Is the concept of a Home Group dying? What is a Home Group anyway? Talk about it here.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Online group by select invite only

Post by Wiganman »

One of my local groups is setting up an online meeting because of the current problems. They have decided to make it by select invite only whereas other groups that have gone online are, making them available to anyone.

I am not sure how I feel about that. Does this go against tradition 3 and 5?
"The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success." =ugeek

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: Online group by select invite only

Post by Brock »

I think under #5 they are OK, because it says the primary purpose is carrying the message, and they are doing that, even if the message is to invited members. Also, while #3 is closer to being broken, I feel tradition 4 trumps them both. It is important that any group can do exactly as they please, once it does not affect AA as a whole, which I don’t think this action will.

It is unfortunate this invite business is necessary, and probably once any regular member of the meeting vouches for someone interested in joining, they will be invited. You would be surprised, that even a good thing like an online AA meeting, if it is open to anyone who says they have a need, can attract those with ulterior motives. In many ways our group here is similar, if we allowed everyone to post when they first join, it wouldn’t work very well. We must read the first post, and approving it is similar to inviting someone to join. It helps weed out those who we believe are not genuine about being part of the group, like those with something to sell, or plain old crackpots, the web attracts all kinds.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

MyNameIsBetsy
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

One of my local groups is setting up an online meeting because of the current problems. They have decided to make it by select invite only . . .
Groups are all autonomous. They can do what ever makes sense to them, provided it does not affect AA or other groups.

But . . . if that were my group, I wouldn't want to be part of a private sub-group which excluded members of the main group. And if that were my group, it wouldn't be my group any longer. I would find another.

That is one BIG resentment in the making! I hope you stay very clear of that resentment whether you are invited to be part of the private group, or not.

Betsy, an alcoholic
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Wiganman »

MyNameIsBetsy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:53 pm
But . . . if that were my group, I wouldn't want to be part of a private sub-group which excluded members of the main group. And if that were my group, it wouldn't be my group any longer. I would find another.
Thank you Betsy that is the excact course of action I am going to take =biggrin. No resentment I just don't agree with what they are doing and there are lots of other groups around.
"The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success." =ugeek

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 »

Wiganman wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 pm
One of my local groups is setting up an online meeting because of the current problems. They have decided to make it by select invite only whereas other groups that have gone online are, making them available to anyone.

I am not sure how I feel about that. Does this go against tradition 3 and 5?
It is now over a week since The General Service Board  in the UK recommended that all Groups take heed of the latest Government guidance on public gatherings and if required make alternative online arrangements for meetings.

The Meeting Finder is currently being updated accordingly with specifics of online meetings and this in some cases includes links to online providers offering Video and Audio meeting services. 
As we are informed of changes, meeting locations and status / links/ email contact are all being updated. This can only be done for those meetings where the meeting status has been emailed to  GSO in response to the request circulated to all in service.

Individuals should, therefore, in theory, be able to access any alternative arrangements for a face to  face meeting listed in our Meeting Finder.

• Online meetings are encouraged to provide a generically named email address which we can post to the Meeting Finder page.

• People who wish to join the online meeting can then contact the email address and ask for the meeting link.  

I agree with the comments about a private selection if intended to exclude individuals,  but if groups of people make private arrangements, that is clearly outside our control.  This would not be a healthy environment conducive to principles before personalities and not something with which I would wish to be further associated.  
However, that may not be the case. Some who are very wary of any AA online activity for various reasons and maybe trying to hang on to some control?
On the other hand, it may be Good Practice rather than an attempt to exclude.

There is an anonymity risk associated with sharing online meeting links directly online  

Good Practice:

No Actual Link
Generically Named Email Contact Address
Generic Group Name to Request Access
Good Information:
Clear Start Time
Clear Instructions

NOT SO GOOD Practice

Online meeting link openly shared
Meeting Entry Password shared
No Clear Guidelines/Instructions

All Members should be particularly mindful of using their names and email addresses when starting and joining such meetings as often personally identifiable information is clearly visible when you log in or join.

While anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, personal anonymity is a personal responsibility.