Almost 2 weeks sober but craving wine

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
eran
Forums Enthusiast

Almost 2 weeks sober but craving wine

Post by eran »

Watching a movie and some characters were drinking wine and now I can't stop thinking about wine? Decided to write here to occupy my mind and wait for the cravings to pass.

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Almost 2 weeks sober but craving wine

Post by D'oh »

Ju Jubes, Jelly Beans, Toffee, Anything Sweet.

1 Day, Hour or Minute at a time.

tomsteve
Forums Long Timer

Post by tomsteve »

eran wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:36 pm
Watching a movie and some characters were drinking wine and now I can't stop thinking about wine? Decided to write here to occupy my mind and wait for the cravings to pass.
hope ya made it through. eran, in yer forst post ya mentioned youre not sure if youre an alcoholic.
people that arent alcoholics never have to fight cravings for an alcoholic drink-they can take it or leave it.
something you could do when this occurs again is do some reading in the BB. the first 3 chapters would be good reading for ya i think

MyNameIsBetsy
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

Eran,

Thoughts like these just don't occur to the average drinker.

I remember those first weeks/months getting sober and what you describe is exactly what happened to me too. Uncomfortable? Oh yeah!

I used these thoughts as reinforcement that I have a problem (called alcoholism) and that it would take me down if left untreated.

Try turning those thoughts into something positive. Consider those cravings/thoughts as reinforcement that you are on the right path . . . that you indeed have a problem and you are taking the right steps toward recovery.

Distraction is a wonderful tool. Get off the couch. Do something different. Phone a friend. Do some sit ups. Read a book. Read the Big Book. Go for a walk. Go to a meeting. Have some ice cream. Do what you just did - post on these forums!!! One day at a time and working this program is how we all build sober time behind us.

The very fact that you stayed sober yesterday is PROOF POSITIVE that you can make it through today sober. We are your cheering section! We are on your side!

Betsy
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Your post made me reflect on the difference between my wife and I. I am an alcoholic and she is not.

If she feels like having a glass of wine, she will have one, which she may or may not finish. Not a lot of thought goes into her decision. And there will not be a second glass. No big deal to her. Just another moment in life.

On the other hand, if I (prior to working the 12 steps) felt like having a beer, unless I immediately had one, that feeling would quickly become a craving. I would not think about it, I would OBSESS about it. When I caved in to the craving, there was NO doubt that I would finish the beer. There was also NO doubt, there would a second beer and a third and so on...because once I start, I can't stop. But then that is not a surprise...because I am an alcoholic. It WAS a big deal to me and it was not just another moment in life, it turned into another episode in an alcoholic life.

eran
Forums Enthusiast

Post by eran »

Thank you everyone- I was able to wait for the moment of cravings to pass and have still not had a drink. I agree that these cravings don't occur with the average drinker. If I drank a glass of wine I would inevitably end up drinking an entire bottle (or more).

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

In AAs terminology we use the phrase Obsession for the mind stuff. Craving is referred to the compulsive drinking that kicks in after we ingest 1 or 2 drinks of alcohol.

Its all part of the realization phase, its good to realize as a alcoholic we have a grace period where we are able to overcome these obsessive thoughts but its also important to note that if we procrastinate with the inventory process which will shed some light on our traits that makes us powerless, we are gambling and that the grace period (pink cloud some people call it) wears out. And we heed to the desire.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Craving vs desire vs thoughts of... I still have random intrusive "thoughts of" sometime. Recently as last week I was PO'd and my brain said, "Damn! I could use a drink!" Whoa... danger danger. I texted my 10th Step buddy and she said, "Turn your thoughts..." Which is exactly what you did! Coming here to write rather than to marinate in the idea of drinking wine!

See? This thing DOES work! IF your work it!
Page 84: 10th Step stuff
...continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code. And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear »

I don't know how others will feel about this suggestion, but I'm putting it out there.

Because the ritual (not just the drunkenness) had appeal to me, I sometimes put apple juice into a wine glass, put my feet up, and treated myself to the nonalcoholic and self-rewarding experience. Even ice water in a fancy glass gave me the feeling of relaxing, shedding the day's worries, and ritualizing an elegant conclusion to the day.

Being drunk sucks. Smelling like alcohol sucks. Fearing that someone will show up at my apartment and find me drunk, smelly, and glazed-eyed sucks.

But a sharp mind and sweet, crystal-clear water in an elegant glass? I felt damned good.

Just a thought.
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

JQuick72
Forums Newcomer

Post by JQuick72 »

It’s funny you mention that , because whenever I see characters on a TV show drinking, it sometimes makes me wanna “join in” and drink too.

I then remind myself that they are not alcoholics and alcohol isn’t a problem to them like it is to me. :D

Lavender
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Lavender »

Eat sweets. It will take the craving for the sweetness of the wine away
Nothing can dim the Light that shines within you
Blue Lavender

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

Jquick said -
It’s funny you mention that , because whenever I see characters on a TV show drinking, it sometimes makes me wanna “join in” and drink too.

I then remind myself that they are not alcoholics and alcohol isn’t a problem to them like it is to me.
Our big book has very ‘dated’ language, where it speaks about this, movies and TV are referred to as “moving pictures,” from the chapter ‘working with others’ -
Assuming we are spiritually fit, we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do. People have said we must not go where liquor is served; we must not have it in our homes; we must shun friends who drink; we must avoid moving pictures which show drinking scenes; we must not go into bars; our friends must hide their bottles if we go to their houses; we mustn't think or be reminded about alcohol at all.
When we have completed the steps, and are what they refer to as ‘spiritually fit,’ these things should not bother us. I do admit to sometimes being a little jealous when watching people on TV drinking, which happens in a lot of shows. What helps put my mind at ease, apart from as you say reminding myself that they are not alcoholics, is reminding myself it’s just a show. Some years ago I took a tour of a TV studio, and we were shown all the special effects and props, including drinks which were all substitutes. Red wine was actually red soda, whisky was tea, the person conducting the tour said there are various types of drinks the actors prefer, and once the color suits as a prop for the real thing they use that. She laughed and said, we can’t have the actors drinking the real thing, sometimes it takes several tries to get a scene right, and they would all get drunk if it were real. So lets remember, even the wine is a prop, it’s not real.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

ctiller
Forums Newcomer

Post by ctiller »

Glad to hear you beat it that day. One day at a time is how I'm approaching it, along w/mtgs & recovery groups. I'm seven wks sober & some days are easier than others. Just keep up what you're doing & did. Never hesitate to ask for help when you need it. Kudos to you. God bless.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

ctiller wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 am
Glad to hear you beat it that day. One day at a time is how I'm approaching it, along w/mtgs & recovery groups. I'm seven wks sober & some days are easier than others. Just keep up what you're doing & did. Never hesitate to ask for help when you need it. Kudos to you. God bless.
Welcome ctiller!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Working the twelve steps of AA brings many rewards. One such reward for me is that alcohol and it's consumption have become an non-issue. When I see people on TV drinking prop alcohol, that is all it is, it produces no reaction in me one way or the other. It stirs no reaction in me, not because it is a prop, but because my obsession with alcohol has been removed as a result of having worked the twelve steps. I can even have an actual real life dinner with other people who drink during the dinner and my reaction is the same. To me, that is true freedom.

10thStepPromisesChapter 6, page84-85
We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes!That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we have been placed in a position of neutrality –safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us.