Here's what you can expect from me as a sponsor

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Carrie
Forums Enthusiast

Here's what you can expect from me as a sponsor

Post by Carrie »

Here is what the women I work with can expect of me as a sponsor:

I am far from perfect. I cannot be put on a pedestal, but I am willing to learn and grow in usefulness and effectiveness always.

I don't know how to support things that are out of my scope of experience.

Membership, and participation in a Homegroup is non-negotiable. ONE Homegroup

We work directly out of the Big Book. We don't add anything, subtract anything, or change anything for your comfort.

The sponsorship line I have chosen for myself is one of complete abstinence. We do not self-medicate.

Any type of medication or prescription you get from your doctor, given your being honest with him, I can support 100% as I am not a doctor and I have chosen to trust the medical field. Anything mind-altering that is being taken without a prescription I cannot support as a sponsor.

There are as many different types of sponsors as there are alcoholics (a wrench for every nut, as they say) I am only ONE type. I only know the way that was shown to me. But again, that doesn't mean it's the only way. It's just the only way I have to offer, and I need to stay consistent with what I do bevause it has worked for me and for the women I work with.

I would never ask a sponsee to do something that I haven't done myself. However, when I was new, I was willing to go to ANY lengths for victory over alcohol, and that meant I had to trust a lot of things that I didn't yet believe in. If you're not in that same place of desperation, I don't know how to help and I won't pretend.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Here's what you can expect from me as a sponsor

Post by PaigeB »

Sounds like you and I may have come from the same sponsorship roots!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB