Singleness of Purpose

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Carrie
Forums Enthusiast

Singleness of Purpose

Post by Carrie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:53 pm

When I came into the rooms 10 years ago I was looking for the differences, without even knowing it... I heard things in some meetings about snorting stuff, smoking, shooting... I hate needles! Yikes! I could not relate to any of it. Thank God after about 9 months, and countless failed vain attempts, I found a group that carried a strong singleness of purpose.

They talked about blacking out. I did that. They talked about the physical allergy to alcohol and the phenomenon of craving which was the reason I could never just have one. That it wasn't a matter of self-will but that I was bodily and mentally different from people without the allergy. They talked about waking up covered in their own puke and pee. I did that. They talked about driving home and having to cover one eye so they could see the lines on the road without seeing double... They were talking about me.

I was home. I identified. I made that my home group. I got a sponsor, I took the steps, I got sober and now have over 9 years of continuous sobriety thanks to that little group of garden variety drunks. I love my new life today, and I try to pass on what was so freely given to me, by holding a position in my Home group, taking other women through the steps, and always looking for new people to welcome, who may be just walking in the door for the first time looking to identify. Looking for a way out.

Beyond Grateful

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Singleness of Purpose

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 am

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. For me, I for on the struggle they go through to stay stopped. The alcoholic torture we have to endure when we are out there trying to quit on our own. I found a speech online where the speaker talks about how restless irritable and discontented he got the next day until that afternoon. And how he was at ease the moment he picked up a six pack at the store. And then the book talks about the peculiar mental twist in chapters There is a solution and More about alcoholism. Where it talks about the alcoholic mind. Doesn't have a chance. It goes through the deliberation or just doesn't think. That was the ahah moment for me. And when they say "Therefore the main problem of the alcoholic centers around the mind rather than the body", I could relate to it. And if I don't surrender to the fact that living in that state will only lead me back to insanity and then I woke.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)