One Day At A Time Slogan

For recovery discussion
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: One Day At A Time Slogan

Post by leejosepho » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:42 am

...an excerpt from the pamphlet on AA's 24 hour plan:

"...We concentrate on keeping sober just the current twenty-four hours. We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink...neither yield nor resist...merely put off taking that particular drink until tomorrow…"
I had a desire to stop forever and the idea of coddling or consoling myself (either my 'Mr. Feelings' or my 'Mr. Intellect') with the idea of possibility having a drink tomorrow did not interest me, and yet I had yet to ever hear anything about "the alcoholic mind" while trying to not take the first drink one-day-at-a-time. So after being told that was why I could not stop drinking and stay stopped forever, I came to A.A. (not to "AA") because (and as an eventual friend later explained) "my alleged mind was out to get me", so to speak, and drinking again was always inevitable.

I have no argument with or complaint against anyone who actually can "Don't take the first drink, one-day-at-a-time" as often suggested in "AA", but I would have left A.A. in tears if that had ever been suggested to me while already knowing I could never do that for any longer than about three days. The people who first helped me understood, however, so "Don't drink" was never suggested by anyone. Instead, it was suggested that I "read, study, absorb and learn to do what is in our book as if your very life depends upon doing so"...and it did.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Post by Reborn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am

leejosepho wrote:I have no argument with or complaint against anyone who actually can "Don't take the first drink, one-day-at-a-time" as often suggested in "AA", but I would have left A.A. in tears if that had ever been suggested to me while already knowing I could never do that for any longer than about three days. The people who first helped me understood, however, so "Don't drink" was never suggested by anyone. Instead, it was suggested that I "read, study, absorb and learn to do what is in our book as if your very life depends upon doing so"...and it did.
YES...The quoted "24 hour plan" from the pamphlet "This is AA" is very useful in the beginning. I remember having to get through days, hours and even minutes without drinking. I remember the day that I fully conceded to my inner most self that I was indeed an alcoholic. That just not drinking one day at a time was not a solution but a temporary transition necessary to work and apply the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. If you can get through each day just not drinking and your life is good....be happy about that...this is something I and many others like me could not do.
Last edited by Reborn on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:10 am

Usually, if I have to fall back on basics like just don't drink today, my life is not good. Recently I had to go to the funeral of a young person and it was hell. Pure emotional torture. Many people were drinking after the ceremony. It looked, briefly, like alcohol would indeed be a solution to this emotional torture. I recoiled as if from a hot flame from the thought... because I have worked the Steps and had a spiritual awakening. But I stood there stunned - I did not know where to go from there or what to do. I was a bit frozen and the thought lurked at the edge of my mind. I hope no one ever has to face this kind of thing.

The tool of "24 hours" allowed me to "let go" of the thought and be of service to others who desperately needed it. From the viewpoint of that moment, I had no idea what I would have to do the next day or the next, but I knew that I did not have to drink over it today (that day). I could do the next right thing.

Back to basics.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:16 pm

My ESH regarding AA's 24 hour plan is that it is just like all the rest of the suggested tools in AA's spiritual tool kit for recovery from alcoholism, including the Steps, prayer, confession, amends, meditation, etc. I have found that each AA tool works if I work it....and doesn't if I don't. The "one day at a time" thing is a simple tool, but I didn't find it to be an easy tool to use. The difficulty for me was mostly because all of my social programming up to the point in time I finally got sober had trained me to spend every waking moment engaged in thinking/worrying about and planning/organizing for future needs/benefits and unexpected catastrophes. For people like me, the idea of doing anything one day at a time or keeping my mind focused on just today, was big time cultural shock. When and only when I had tried every other method I could think of to stay stopped after I stopped drinking is when I finally tried it and it worked! The really amazing thing to me about finally being able to get my head into the one day at a time groove is that after a while, quite a while actually, I noticed that my whole world view had changed and was still changing, shifting from the material to the spiritual. The process was so subtle and gradual that I hadn't even been consciously aware that I had been letting go of old ideas and replacing them with newer ideas that worked much better until I suddenly realized I was intuitively handling situations which used to baffle me....

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:10 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:...AA's 24 hour plan...is just like all the rest of the suggested tools in AA's spiritual tool kit...
What a hoot! The "simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet" (page 25) does not include any such thing in the original A.A., so please do try to be more cautious about mis-representations! Rather:

"There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible. This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it - this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish." (page 34)

For me, every attempt to "Don't drink, one-day-at-a-time" always ended up in yet another horrendous trip into pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization...so while it is perfectly fine with me if the so-called "24-Hour Plan" works for everyone else *but* me, please do allow me to share the hard-won fact that it was of absolutely no use to me and that is why I came to A.A. Surely I am not the last of my type of alcoholic in this world!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:57 pm

If you are the type of alcoholic the book describes....Which fit me to a tee...And you surfed your way onto this site looking for a way out...It's pretty frightening some of the things you'd read here. Offering the impossible for someone that I'm sure has tried it more than once. And here they are told to just try it again. AA is a place that's open to anyone and there are lots of ways to do it.....That's just not true. It's like playing with people's lives.
If I had to spend every day wondering if I was going to make it till tomorrow....I'd have gone back to drinking...Finished the job. We are promised a new freedom and a new happiness...If that didn't materialize for you from working these steps...You either never needed them to begin with...Or you didn't follow the directions carefully.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Today life goes much smoother if I can just focus on living today. Not wallowing in the past or future tripping. Living with reasonable expectations. Living this way, one day at a time, life is good. Today whenever I wake up whether or not I might drink ins't even a thought. Not even on the radar.
Bang On, And Thank You.

Sure "Just don't drink today" was suggested in the beginning, but once the fog lifted I discovered that Drinking had little to nothing to do with my problem. My problem was "Living Life" That's what I couldn't do and turned to drink to comfort and hide.

One day at a time means I don't have to run and hide, just (with his help) deal with Life as it happens. And thank Him at night for a job well done, a job that I could not do on my own prior to the Steps.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:57 pm

For people like me, the idea of doing anything one day at a time or keeping my mind focused on just today, was big time cultural shock. When and only when I had tried every other method I could think of to stay stopped after I stopped drinking is when I finally tried it and it worked! The really amazing thing to me about finally being able to get my head into the one day at a time groove is that after a while, quite a while actually, I noticed that my whole world view had changed and was still changing, shifting from the material to the spiritual. The process was so subtle and gradual that I hadn't even been consciously aware that I had been letting go of old ideas and replacing them with newer ideas that worked much better until I suddenly realized I was intuitively handling situations which used to baffle me...
Today life goes much smoother if I can just focus on living today. Not wallowing in the past or future tripping. Living with reasonable expectations. Living this way, one day at a time, life is good. Today whenever I wake up whether or not I might drink ins't even a thought. Not even on the radar.
I am glad there are Many Paths to Spirituality http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-84_man ... uality.pdf

It is NOT like we are talking about totally different things. I think we can all agree that we are not hanging on by out fingernails everyday, we only use the things we were taught as a tool. For instance, it was late one afternoon and I could not get to a meeting that night. My sponsor suggested that I quit my belly-aching and go be of service to my family that was right in front of me. I didn't understand what she meant and she said, "go clean something! Go play a game or bake a cake. Go and take some positive action in your life!" I did and it worked. I got out of my blue funk because I was able to think of someone besides myself. That sort of thing is not in the book, yet it is part of my story. It is my experience in this program. I had a bad day and I needed something, anything to hang onto. I got busy and it worked.

I had been relieved of the obsession to drink, but did not know how to live sober. People in this program taught me how it worked for them. We live free after we have a spiritual experience and we pass it on.

(Yes, I have worked all the Steps)
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:21 pm

I'm also glad there are many paths to spirituality...I don't think anyone questions that. The question I do have is....How many paths does the literature of Alcoholics Anonymous suggest to solve the drink problem? It's a simple question....If you see more than one...Please share it.

This paragraph you quoted...
For people like me, the idea of doing anything one day at a time or keeping my mind focused on just today, was big time cultural shock. When and only when I had tried every other method I could think of to stay stopped after I stopped drinking is when I finally tried it and it worked! The really amazing thing to me about finally being able to get my head into the one day at a time groove is that after a while, quite a while actually, I noticed that my whole world view had changed and was still changing, shifting from the material to the spiritual. The process was so subtle and gradual that I hadn't even been consciously aware that I had been letting go of old ideas and replacing them with newer ideas that worked much better until I suddenly realized I was intuitively handling situations which used to baffle me..
Has nothing to do with what AA suggests. And if you believe anything in the Big Book....Most of us that the book would appeal to don't have "quite awhile" to be wasting time trying it. We've already utterly failed at that. I have to ask you...Do you think that share above would do any good for a suffering alcoholic?

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm also glad there are many paths to spirituality...I don't think anyone questions that. The question I do have is....How many paths does the literature of Alcoholics Anonymous suggest to solve the drink problem? It's a simple question....If you see more than one...Please share it.
They are Sharing it. The question is Why are you so scared to hear it?

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 am

The question is Why are you so scared to hear it?
He gave a very good reason -
Do you think that share above would do any good for a suffering alcoholic?
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

DennisD
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DennisD » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:28 am

For someone like me who is new, this is definitely a good slogan to start off. However, It does seem that I will need to focus a bit more than one day at a time for general life issues. Having 2 kids, a wife, a job etc... One day at a time seems like it might only work for so long.
I'm on my way, I'm on my way to better days, I'll find my way - Breaking Benjamin, Better Days

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:55 am

If you are open-minded, you may listen to history of AA through some of the great workshops available on the internet for free. It probably take about 1 hour. They go deep into what transpired from the day Bill got the information from Dr. Silkwork and the solution from Ebby and how Bill struggled to communicate his experience to other drunks and eventually Dr. Silkworth suggested he talk about the problem and the solution. That helped Bill W to transmit the knowledge to Dr. Bob. So is the 1st step of AA so crucial.

Even in that article people referring to, if you look inside, its about people coming in with different belief/faith but embracing the concepts/principles of the 12 steps and having a spiritual awakening. The title could be misleading. Its like people getting stuck with the "Doctors Opinion" and just talking about the physical craving part all the time in the meetings. They miss the main problem of the alcoholic.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Post by Reborn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:24 am

DennisD wrote:For someone like me who is new, this is definitely a good slogan to start off. However, It does seem that I will need to focus a bit more than one day at a time for general life issues. Having 2 kids, a wife, a job etc... One day at a time seems like it might only work for so long.
This quote kind of says it all...thank you Dennis. Here is a new guy saying "One day at a time seems like it might only work for so long"...he's right...it only worked so long for me. I tried this again and again when I was still drinking and it never lasted very long. This one day at a time slogan is the same thing as saying you're still powerless and recovering. These things have been passed down from sponsor to sponsee for years and years...just because you heard from your sponsor doesn't make it true. I hear these lines paroted all of the time...they are entrenched in AA...then some a**hole like me comes along and says "hey thats not in the Big Book"...and these one day at a time, powerless recovering alcoholics get pissed. The simple kit of spiritual tools doesn't keep me away from the drink one day at a time...it enables me to tap in to a power greater than me that solves all my problems...that means I get to live each moment...and participate in life today.
Last edited by Reborn on Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:28 am

He gave a very good reason -
Do you think that share above would do any good for a suffering alcoholic?
And I stated a Very Good Response, "They are sharing" You know the part you left out.