The EGO'S need to feel Superior

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

The EGO'S need to feel Superior

Post by avaneesh912 »

This is another segment of "A New earth" I like a lot:

There are many subtle but easily overlooked forms of ego that you may observe in other people and, more important, in yourself. Remember: The moment you become aware of the go in yourself, that emerging awareness is who you are beyond ego, the deeper “I.” The recognition of the false is already the arising of the real.

For example, you are about to tell someone the news of what happened. “Guess what? You don't know yet? Let me tell you.” If you are alert enough, present enough, you may be able to detect a momentary sense of satisfaction within yourself just before imparting the news, even if it is bad news. It is due to the fact that for a brief moment there is, in the eyes of the ego, an imbalance in your favor between you and the other person. For that brief moment, you know more than the other. The satisfaction that you feel is of the ego, and it is derived from feeling a stronger sense of self relative to the other person. Even if he or she is the president or the pope, you feel superior in that moment because you know more. Many people are addicted to gossiping partly for this reason. In addition, gossiping often carries an element of malicious criticism and judgment of others, and so it also strengthens the ego through the implied but imagined moral superiority that is there whenever you apply a negative judgment to anyone. If someone has more, knows more, or can do more than I, the ego feels threatened because the feeling of “less” diminishes its imagined sense of self relative to the other. It may then try to restore itself by somehow diminishing, criticizing, or belittling the value of the other person's possessions, knowledge, or abilities. Or the ego may shift its strategy, and instead of competing with the other person, it will enhance itself by association with that person, if he or she is important in the eyes of others.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Re: The EGO'S need to feel Superior

Post by Spirit Flower »

thx A
...a score card reading zero...

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

Ego is massively important in recovery, for me...since any pain I feel is largely due to my ego thinking someone has wronged it or threatened it, in some way, shape or form.

As time goes on, this is MUCH more subtle. Things that would have had me on the floor previously, now affect me perhaps momentarily before I can say 'oh, that's what that is, off with you. The trouble with being more subtle is that sometimes I miss them, and I can feel out of sorts as because I missed it, didn't look at it, and it continues to niggle. Even when I recognize something is amiss, it's not always a simple matter to spot it...bad habits are ingrained in me. The abnormal became normal a long time ago...but just because I've had improvement, does not mean I'm fixed by a long shot. Still a long way to go.

Thanks Avaneesh, interesting read!
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

To add to Niagara share because she's already told you a lot about my EGO, lol... is that calling my sponsor is almost always a way to achieve enough humility and love that I am willing to look at something other than self preservation. Humility & Love ~ PLUS she knows me very well, after hearing my 5th Step and hanging out around me for a few 24 hours, she can see things I can't. She also knows me well enough to call me on my BS. :wink:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB