e-aa.org relationship wth aa.org

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
AAPJ
Forums Enthusiast

e-aa.org relationship wth aa.org

Post by AAPJ » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:43 am

Is this site the officially sanctioned AA website for recovery discussions? How is e-aa.org supported financially?

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: e-aa.org relationship wth aa.org

Post by Brock » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:13 am

I am pretty certain the answer to the first question is no, the answer to the second can be found here.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17412
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:16 am

AAPJ wrote:Is this site...officially sanctioned AA website for recovery discussions?
Yes, it is officially sanctioned by the members of the e-aa group. It is important to understand that A.A. is *not* an organization and that our hierarchy is therefore upside-down. "A.A.-r-us" as members of our autonomous A.A. fellowships, and then it is us who "sanction" a site such as aa.org to do our bidding.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:53 am

If you look for AA Near You at the USA GSO website you will find they have a link to online aa...
e-aa is a member of Online Intergroup which is listed with aa.org
To search for local A.A. resources OUTSIDE the U.S. and Canada, please Click here.

For information about online meetings: http://aa-intergroup.org.
Also e-aa has had a mention in Grapevine, I believe, in one of several issues. I hear there is an article coming soon in Box 459 (Online AA Intergroup)

Online Intergroup's Unity Committee is also attempting to contact "all" listed with Online Intergroup online groups to see if they would like to be listed in the Meeting/Group Directory. I do not yet know if e-aa is listed there, but that would be up to the e-aa Group Conscience.
Here is a quote from an email report to me from the Unity Committee Chair, Homer.
Our recent work... to update the Online Groups/Meeting listings in each Directory has resulted in almost doubling the number of Online Groups listed in each Directory from 22 in each to 42! An outstanding response from our OIAA listed groups/meetings.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 am

Yes, e-AA is a group and we have a group number with GSO. You can ask our treasurer if you need it.

We have 7th tradition here just like in any group. Anyone who considers him or herself a member is welcome to use this form for making a contribution

http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php

(A.A. and the words "officially sanctioned" really don't go together. Makes me cross my eyes.)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

AAPJ
Forums Enthusiast

Post by AAPJ » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:50 am

Ok this is helpful. Thanks. Based on what I see here there is a connection between AA.org and this website.

Let me explain what motivated this question.

How would you respond to a Sponsor who said that I should not be looking on line for recovery and should concentrate on the local meetings instead? Personally I think both are helpful but since I'm a newcomer I'm not sure what I would say to someone with a lot more sobriety than me.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:35 pm

How would you respond to a Sponsor who said that I should not be looking on line for recovery and should concentrate on the local meetings instead? Personally I think both are helpful but since I'm a newcomer I'm not sure what I would say to someone with a lot more sobriety than me.
My sponsor is not keen on AA Online anything. But she is okay with it so long as I have a homegroup and do service work face to face. I go to about 4 meetings a week F2F and I come here a couple times a day.

So I do both. I concentrate on f2f... but I also concentrate on e-aa when I am not f2f. :wink:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65