Now addicted to sugar!!

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Vjsull
Forums Newcomer

Now addicted to sugar!!

Post by Vjsull » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:23 pm

I have 16 months sober, for which I am extremely grateful. But I have gained 30 pounds since I became sober. I eat ice cream with crushed cookies and chocolate syrup almost every night. I eat healthy and lightly during the day, but I really look forward to my "treat" at night. I know that I have traded my vodka for ice cream, and I need to stop! Does anyone have any advise or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Re: Now addicted to sugar!!

Post by D'oh » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:35 pm

It may sound different, but here it goes.

When I first sobered up I was told that sweets help with cravings for alcohol so this may pass when you get over the cravings. One of the promises.

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:16 am

Over the years I have sobered up, stopped smoking and I have gained a lot of weight due to age and giving up those other vises. I have my dark chocolate I indulge in from time to time as a means to relax or so it is between my ears.

Last time I checked snaking on sweets doesn't get our license pulled or get us put in jail, unless we are stealing. :lol:
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Post by Duke » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:03 am

I had a similar experience. The suggestion I got was to wait a while before I started working on diet, caffeine, or nicotine. I can tell you that in time, I have found a relative balance with all of them.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:26 am

Mee too! Cookies & ice cream with chocolate sauce too!

Here's what I did. I got online and found a site that allowed me to not only count my calories but become aware of portion sizes and what exercises burn how much of what. I think it was called spark, but I am not endorsing it as any miracle cure... just that they have a bank of what brands have what calories etc, type in what you are cooking and it will pop up with all kinds of nutritional information. I also bought a digital scale for the first time in my life lol... portion control was a big deal and I still have not found a way to get an adequate amount of protein, since I don't like meat much.

I lost weight by becoming a more healthy eater! I KNEW I wanted to save some fat calories for my midnight ice cream so I switched to fat free cheese and put less 2% milk on my cereal. I exercised what I could, not much with my health condition... But the real benefit was learning about how I eat and what good it was. Ice berg lettuce & tomatoes are worthless - but ranch dressing is extremely fat filled! I now use fat-free and do not find too much difference in the flavor, but salads are not in my meal plan due to a lack of necessary nutrients. Certainly not the kind of research that I did as a drunk!

So before you diet, later & with the permission of a doctor, you can get educated! I'll be thinking of you tonight when I eat Brownie Batter ice cream, w/ chocolate sauce of course! (surprisingly not a lot of fat in cho sauce!)
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:29 am

Yeah, definatly I can relate!

I was told in early days that sweets can reduce a craving and I found myself much more attracted to sweets, and same as you, icecream which I topped off with chocolate syrup. Cravings for sweets began to wane around the end of year one and Ipretty much returned to normal without trying. I gave up the smokes several years later and added on approx. 15 pounds. again these naturally went off me, but this time, in about 5 years.

I tend to not eat sugary foods any more, I think I may be reactive to it. But nothing is going to effect me like alcohol did, well, except drugs, which I know if I tried them I would be a gonner probably dead by now.

I stopped drinking coffee and black tea, it just made me jittery as I got older, and a good sleep is more important to me now.

Diets cause depression, weakness of mind and energy levels fall. So beware of dieting and over excersizing.
I enjoy my life today, after all I went through hell, like we all have, so I don't even try restricting nice enjoyable things!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi Vjsull and welcome.

Congratulations on 16 months of sobriety!
Vjsull wrote:.... I eat ice cream with crushed cookies and chocolate syrup almost every night...
That sounds sooooo yummy!!! So glad I read your post AFTER I did my grocery shopping for the week or I'd have brought home all those goodies home with me..... :lol:

My sweet tooth didn't come back for a long time after I got sober, but when it finally did, I found out I was just as powerless over cheese cake, pecan pie, twinkies, apple fritters, ice cream, or anything chocolate, etc, as I had been over alcohol--even used the same denials, rationalizations, justifications for my food binging as I had with my drinking. What worked for me is to switch to a high protein diet--meat & veggies only, no carbs--for about 3 days. Doing that took care of my cravings for sweets and seemed to restore me to sanity. These days I find that if I give myself permission to over indulge in some kind of 1000 calorie dessert smothered in caramel and/or chocolate sauce about once a week, my weight remains stable as long as I eat healthy and exercise the rest of the week. Good luck!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 am

Vjsull wrote:I eat ice cream with crushed cookies and chocolate syrup almost every night
Ben and Jerry's? I love that too. Some things are like booze for me too. I've got to avoid the 'first one' and I'm okay. At meetings when someone puts a packet of biscuits on the table, I either wilfully don't touch them, or I eat a lot of them; I get that phenomenon of craving with sweet stuff, just like I did with booze.

A lot of us get fit and do the cliche of running a marathon when we put down the booze. Ever thought of that?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Post by RobC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:07 pm

I heard ice cream so I came running.
:D When I quit drinking I weighed 120 pounds now im 185 :shock:
But I would usually drink my dinner. Pork chop in ever can right. When I quit my appetite came back. Id go to bed and be laying there @ 10:30 starving. So id go to the kitchen and chow down. But I felt good and was happy and sober. Im sure my cholesterol is up a little but I know my blood alcohol is not. I dont smoke or drink so I'm gonna enjoy eating what I shouldn't.
Until I become diabetic.
Rob
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315