Re: A Newcomer Packet for You

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Roxanne12
Forums Newcomer

Post by Roxanne12 »

Thank you for the welcome. I thank you for allowing me to be a member and look forward to reading the articles and cure this ilness.

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

Hello and welcome Roxanne :)

You're in the right place :) the links avaneesh posted are a great place to start. The 12 steps are the solution to our common problem, and they have changed my life, for the better (unexpected side effect :shock: :lol: )

Great to have you with us. I spent a lot of time in the early days reading through posts and learning what I could on here, and listening to speaker tapes also...Chris R, joe and Charlie, mark H to name a few :)

Let us know how you're doing!
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Chas
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chas »

Hello

My name is Chuck and I am an alcoholic. I have been sober for nineteen days and pray that I continue to do so. Great to be with others
Last edited by Chas on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

Hello and welcome Chuck :) Great to have you here.

How are you finding it?
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Chas
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chas »

Good to be here. Day 19 of being sober is hard.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I have been sober for nineteen days and pray that I continue to do so. Great to be with others
Hope you are getting all the help from the oldtimers. If you have questions about the 12 steps feel free to ask.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

I remember :)

congratulations on 19 days. Have you gotten to a face to face meeting yet?

If you google AA big book online, a read of the first few chapters should give you an idea of what you're dealing with, and the solution that AA offers, namely the 12 steps. Working those steps means as long as I do what I'm supposed to, I'm not having to fight the urge to drink anymore.

I totally didn't believe that when I first came here, but it's been my experience that it absolutely works :)
Theodore Roosevelt

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

Hi there Chuck and welcome. It’s a good few years ago but I do remember being new to AA myself, the meetings seemed kind of strange and these folks smiling and saying they have been sober for years, I kind of wondered what the hell they were smiling about, I stuck around and found out.

At first I resisted those steps they spoke about, looking at the scroll on the wall 1 – 12 it all looked pretty intimidating. Then I figured that just by showing up to the meetings I had pretty well admitted my problem, and since I had tried to solve it myself in the past I knew something more powerful than me was needed, and I was willing to give that a try, at that point I realized I was on board with the first three steps. Number four and five were nowhere near as difficult as they appeared on paper, and after that it was smooth sailing.

The release from the urge to drink is absolute, I really want you to understand and believe that, when you do this program and live the way it suggests; not some sort of saintly life a normal life, you will be able to look at a bottle of booze and smile, wondering how something like that was so attractive and tempting. Stick around here ask questions if you like, there are good AA folks here, best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Chas
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chas »

Brock,

Thank you. I guess the hardest part for me has been the First Step. Look forward to future conversations!

Chas
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chas »

Hello

Right now I have a temporary online sponsor. Need to continue to get the strength for a f2f.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Meeting f2f folks is really a highlight of my day... They are my brothers & sisters, only better. They are people who think like me at deep levels where I always thought I was totally alone. I hope you get the courage soon. Let us know if you need help finding a meeting near you ~ you can PM me with your zip code and we'll get you set up!

Peace & Serenity are possible. Don't quit before the miracle!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Chas
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chas »

Paige,

Thank you! Going to my first party today being sober. It is at a church, so day 20 should be fine and perhaps helpful.

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

Hi Chuck and welcome.

Congratulations on 20 days sober!

Glad you're here. Looking forward to reading more of your posts and sharing your sober journey with you. Keeping the plug in the jug and not drinking is hard for all of us in the beginning but it gets better one day at a time.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Chas
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Chas »

Thank you all for the welcome and advice. Here it is a Saturday night and I am home after a family gathering having nothing to drink, totally sober and feeing great. I am so grateful for my new email friends!

Elizabeth90
Forums Newcomer

Post by Elizabeth90 »

Hi. My name is Elizabeth and I'm an alcoholic. I have participated with aa for several years, however I've relapsed. I live in a smallish town, and I'm no longer able to attend local meetings as they are somewhat limited and conflict with my career. I want to work the program again, but the only way is through the internet. Can you point me in the right direction, such as for sponsorship through this forum? I have been sober 48 hours this time. Thank you.