I HAVE TO STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

I HAVE TO STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

Post by whenley68 »

I really don't know if I'm capable of quitting drinking. For a day maybe, but staying quit, I'm at the end of my rope
Life is what you make it. Be on the winning side of things.

2granddaughters

Re: I HAVE TO STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

Post by 2granddaughters »

AA was there for me when I came to the end of my rope. AA is there for millions of hopeless alcoholics.

I wish you the best.

Bob R

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

I just read this....if, when you honestly want to, you cannot quit entirely..... Well, this is me right now

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Welcome to e-AA. The way I understand alcoholism, because of the obsession of the mind, we keep going back to alcohol even though we know its harmful to hour body. And when we drink we experience what the doctor (silkworth) calls it a phenonmenon of craving. And in forced sobriety we are restless irritable and discontended. This is powerlessness. The only option is a spiritual awakening. In AA, the 12 steps helps us have that. A psychic change. Hope you stick around and good luck.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

I have found a meeting tonight at 10 and its only a thirty minute drive for me. I am going to go. I should be home by midnight. I just don't know what else to do

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

I hope you make it to the meeting. Get some phone numbers (same sex). And listen for similarities - not differences! Have you ever been to a meeting before? Please let us know how it goes!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Post by Duke »

Good luck to you whenley68. The program really does work if you work it. Many here have multiple decades of sobriety but felt like you described before starting their journey. Have hope. There is a solution.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

hey and welcome to E-AA - hope you made your meeting :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

whenley68 wrote:I have found a meeting tonight at 10 and its only a thirty minute drive for me. I am going to go. I should be home by midnight. I just don't know what else to do
All you need do is focus on getting to that meeting. My first meeting led to my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and then actually finding a way to live sober, comfortably. I - like many others - don't use will power or white knuckles to stay sober (though it definitely does take some of that in the early days).

Will-power is a limited resource; it works only for so long, then it runs out and fails us, and we drink. A.A. has a better way to live sober than using will-power.

It's good fun too, though it probably won't feel like that for you right now. I hope your first meeting is a positive experience for you and I'm looking forward to hearing about how you got on.

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

I had every intention of going, but I fell asleep around 9. I want to throw out my whiskey and beer today. I thought about just finishing it and then trying to stop, but I think that I would probably get more when it's gone and this desire I have right now to stop would wane. I'm such a F***. Will work on cleaning house though..

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post »

I can relate to the falling asleep before the meeting, sober or not. Not sure where you are at but most places have several meetings a day. Perhaps you can find one today that's a little earlier.

I did not think I could/would stop drinking. I was terrified of life without alcohol. And I mean really terrified. I went to a meeting and decided to make sobriety my number 1 priority and give it an honest shot. Still didn't believe it would stick though. I'm now almost ten months sober and couldn't be happier. The 12 steps are the key.

Try to get to a meeting today and check back in here. It works. It really does.

Chris S.
Forums Contributor

Post by Chris S. »

whenley68 wrote:I really don't know if I'm capable of quitting drinking. For a day maybe, but staying quit, I'm at the end of my rope
"For a Day" that is our secret my friend. I haven't "quit" drinking, "sworn off", I have simlpy chosen to not drink today. I don't know about tomorrow, but today, no matter what happens, no matter how I feel, I will not drink today.

Now, I needed some help to keep this resolve. I found that help in AA. I found a way of life where drinking just doesn't fit. At the beginning, it was all about keeping my mind off the obsession. Meetings, step work, finding new things to do with my time. I learned alot of things from AA and one day at a time, my life turned around. But it was, is, and always will be about today. Today I will not drink, no matter what happens, or how I feel. This has worked for me, one day at a time, since June 1st, 1997. (On May 30th of 1997 I had no idea this could or would happen)

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

I'm at the meeting place for a 9 a.m. meeting right now. Nobody is here, but I am. Day 3 of abstinence, not an easy thing. Didn't clean out the fridge like I had wanted to, forgot about it.

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

well nobody f****** showed. I drove 35 minutes one way for a f****** meeting and nobody showed. Just goes to show you can't depend on anybody

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

I'm sorry you drove all that way and didn't get to attend a meeting. Are you absolutely sure you were in the right place? Do you have a current meetings list? If not, call your local Alcoholics Anonymous and ask where and when you can find meetings. This sometimes happens but its especially troublesome when it happens when a newcomer is looking for a meeting.

I hope you are still on day 3. Don't cave in to that first drink - just for today.

Most people here go to face to face meetings as well but this is also a great place to be for people who don't have meetings in their area. We have a few here who just come here but they come on a daily basis, sometime 2 or 3 times a day. I will say that the discussion forum is kind of quiet on weekends. But we are here for you.

And there are so many other things on this site. There are stories from alcoholics. There are also on-line meetings. Please ask if you have trouble finding anything.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him