"virgin" drinks and non alcoholic beer...

For recovery discussion

"virgin" drinks and non alcoholic beer...

Postby Kameirocco » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:46 am

I'm curious about this.
My roomate, her boyfriend and myself were watching a movie last night, the boyfriend brought stuff over for bloody marys and vodka tonics...
now things brings me to something.. since i miss the feeling of being "drunk" and "buzzed", however i miss the taste even more (beer has been in my life for over 1/2 of it, and for being 24.. it's pretty much all i know). How does this forum feel about "virgin" drinks and non alcoholic beer (margaritas and daquris without rum or tequilla, bloody marys without the vodka, sharps, o'douls etc etc)

i figure for some, horrible idea, but for some it might be a good/great idea.
Kameirocco
Forums Newcomer

Re: "virgin" drinks and non alcoholic beer...

Postby Layne » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:30 am

Didn't work for me and believe me I tried like hell to make it work.

Beer was my beverage of choice for everything. I didn't think that I would ever find a beverage that could replace it. I drank beer first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I loved beer.

Didn't work for me and believe me I tried like hell to make it work.

Damned near killed myself trying and that is no exaggeration!

I never did find any thing to replace beer, but funny thing is that I no longer even miss it. I also know that when I stopped trying to find a replacement for it, life got much more peaceful and serene.
Layne
Forums Long Timer

Postby mebill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:26 am

I'm not going to be much help here, but I'll share my ESH. Believe it or not, I'm one of those people who never really liked the taste of alcohol. I didn't like the taste of beer, wine, vodka, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, that never daunted my drinking it all! Now, I occasionally drink a fruit juice with some selzer water. I drink them because they're healthy, and I actually like the taste. As far as the taste of most alcoholic beverages, I always thought they tasted like poison. Turns out, for me, I was right! :D

Bill
mebill
Forums Long Timer

Postby Mike O » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Kameirocco wrote: How does this forum feel about "virgin" drinks and non alcoholic beer (margaritas and daquris without rum or tequilla, bloody marys without the vodka, sharps, o'douls etc etc)

In themselves, these drinks sound pretty harmless ( though I don't think there is any such thing as alcohol-free beer - just very low alcohol beer, at least here in the UK).
What you might care to elaborate on is why you want to have these drinks. Why not just drink a soda?
Just an observation.
:)
Mike O
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:43 pm

We drank because of the effect it had on us not for the taste. Joe and Charlie explain it a great way. Charlie would say, he loves Mountain Crystal Mineral water but he never drank 24 bottles in day. So don't kid yourself.
You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created. You must see the world anew.
Albert Einstein.
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Postby Kameirocco » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:28 pm

i had a beer blog, used to taste beer and sample it for the blog for fun 'cuz i do love the taste of beer, i do miss it completely, and it wasn't always for the effect of alcohol, even though 90% of the time it went that way.

for fun, my friends and i used to spend some "good amount" of money on beers from around the US and the world, and i used to drink 1 or 2 of them and write reviews on them...

i just wish i could get back to the point of enjoying a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. thats the only part that is hurting me worst i think, while i did love the "buzz factor" of it, i drank alot of it 'cuz of the tatse
Kameirocco
Forums Newcomer

Postby Chris S. » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:29 pm

The main problem of the alcoholic centers in the mind. Most alcoholics are normal decent people when not drinking. It is when alcohol is introduced into the system that craving begins and the alcoholic will lose control and then the problems begin, problems that would not happen if the alcoholic did not take that first drink.

It is the obsession for alcohol that makes us take that first drink, regardless of the possible and probable consequences. In my experience, what happened to me when I would drink a N/A beer, would be that my alcoholic mind, obsession, would kick in. This is a known effect in addiction, that the thought of using the addictive substance can produce craving for that substance. So, if I am drinking something that I associated as a "drink", beer, bloody mary, etc. even though it did not contain alcohol, the craving would begin, and sooner or later, I drank the real thing.

I too can relate. About the time I stopped drinking, the micro brew thing had just started to explode. There were many beers I like the "taste" of. It was just this rationalization that kept me drunk. A beer or wine with dinner was me lying to myself. The closer truth was beer or wine was dinner.

If you are looking for an excuse to keep drinking, I have great news for you. You don't need one. Go ahead. But, know that the consequences of drinking that brought you to this point will continue, and they will get worse. This is my experience, and the experience of every alcoholic I know. So, when I think of how good a single barrel bourbon, or a rich creamy micro brew tastes, (not that I could afford one when I was drinking), I remember also how the baloney sandwhich and cold coffee in the county lock up tastes. Knowing full well that one eventually leads to the other, I'll forego the whiskey and drink my coffee hot, thank you very much.
Chris S.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby happycamper » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:51 am

Non alcoholic beer ( and drinks ) are for non-alcoholics.
Faith without works is dead
happycamper
Forums Long Timer

Postby martin08 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 am

Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery.
The Doctor's Opinion.

It is essential that I learned the real "lure" of a drink. When I'm thirsty now, water is just fine.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby ravensage » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 am

Hi All,
I got sober this time of year 20 years ago, thank God, I had people in my life, in A.A. to explain to me that drinks like
non-alcoholic beer and N/A sparkling wines and such DO have alcohol in them. O'doull's for example has.05%, now I didn't want to find out what amt. of booze( however small or lrge) was gonna set aup the phenomen of craving for this alkie. A.A. friends also spoke to me of "glamorizing" a drink of booze, like why did I find it necessary to put my coke in a wine glass. All dangerous stuff for this sick and suffering drunk.
Now I do enjoy a glass of V-8, spicy please. Also asked my sponsor if it was ok to have red-wine vinegar sald dressing, she asked to speak to my then new husband, and told him if we started going through 3 bottles or more per week, we had a problem, LOL.
Hope this helps answer your question.
Light and Blessings,
Ravensage
ravensage
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:38 am

non-alcoholic beer has 0.5% alcohol (last I checked a couple of decades ago). This could trigger a compulsion.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tasman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:04 pm

I read somewhere that freshly squeezed orange juice has 0.5% alcohol.
tasman
Forums Contributor

Postby AngelaS » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Here in the NL there is alcohol free (0%) beer and many fruity sparkly non alcoholic champagnes.

I see it as a very individual thing. Two recovered alcoholics in my life, both over 20 years sober, one loves non-alcoholic cocktails, special champagne glasses, etc., the other doesn't even want a fancy water glass at his setting because it pushes a button. Polar opposites regarding this topic and both have the kind of recovery I want.

If anyone had told me it was wrong early on I would have probably done it out of rebellion. Instead I was taught to watch for restlessness, irritability, discontent, mental obsession, etc., not around non alcoholic drinks but around all things. I've learned to take my sobriety deadly seriously and to thine own self be true.
AngelaS
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:32 am

tasman wrote:I read somewhere that freshly squeezed orange juice has 0.5% alcohol.

That must be why I love this?
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Joe H » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:23 pm

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable."

I am powerless over alcohol. I have not taken a drink since I took my last one April 11th, 1996. But I have no doubt if I were to play with having a drink (like I did as a kid when I poured tea into a shot glass to pretend I was just like the cowboys and tough guys in the movies), I would soon want the "kick" of the real thing.

I have a desire to not drink today, can't imagine why I would want even a toy drink. Alcohol almost killed me, it took me away from my loved ones and left me with nothing. Even the thought of taking a drink and returning to where I once was makes me shudder.

Yes, there are times I see something that gives me an instant taste for a cold beer or a shot of good sippin whiskey and I almost immediately recoil. My problem is I never was able to just take a "taste" and stop with "a" beer or "a" shot.

I equate drinking near beer or virgin drinks with having sex with a blowup doll...I just can't imagine why I would want to...

Welcome to the forum Kameirocco, thanks for sharing.

joe
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Next

Return to Discussions