One Day At A Time Slogan

For recovery discussion
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

One Day At A Time Slogan

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:58 am

I have been wondering where this "One day at a Time" slogan originated. Looking at the story of Bob Dodson Alcoholic Number 3, I see Bill and Dr. Bob are using that to bait the new-comer with that statement. Prior to that the whole paragraph though, they talk about once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. They are making it clear that one has to make a life time commitment......Once the person has the spiritual awakening by working the steps, of course, the obsession gets removed and then he starts living his like every day.

Are we miss-leading that its one at a time deal?

===============================================
One of the fellows, I think it was Doc, said, Well you want to quit? I said, "Yes, Doc, I would like to quit, at least for five six, or eight months until i get things straightened up and begin to get the respect of my wife and some other people back and get my finances fixed up and so on." And they both laughed very heartily and said, "Thats better than you been doing, isn't it?" which of course was true. They said, "We have got some bad news for you. It was bad news for us and it will probably be bad news for you Whether you quit six days months or years if you go out and take a drink or two, you'll end up in this hospital tied down just like you have been in these past six months. you are an alcoholic." As far as I know that was the first time I had ever paid any attention to that word. I figured i was just a drunk. And they said, "No you have a disease and it doesn't make any difference how long you do without it, after a drink or two you'll end up just like you are now." That certainly was real disheartening news at the time.

The next question they asked was "You can quit twenty-four hours can't you" I said, "Sure, yes anybody can do that for 24 hours". They said, "Thats what we're talking about. Just 24 hours at a time". That sure did take a load off of my mind. Every time i'd start thinking about drinking, I would think of the long dry years ahead without having a drink; but this idea of 24 hours, that it was up to me from then on, was a lot of help.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 am

I find "one day at a time" to be a very powerful concept, when used correctly.

I also find it can become a rationalisation for avoidance and procrastination (or, more simply, an excuse for sloth).

What I don't "get" is this common perception that "the first person out of bed has the most sobriety". Who ever invented such a daft idea? It's perhaps good to keep older members' ego in check, but does it really have any good purpose?
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

martin08
Forums Long Timer

Post by martin08 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:25 am

I have mixed feelings on this Slogan.

For someone who is white-knuckling through their second, fifth, or tenth year, it seems that one day at a time is a dreadful existence.

But for a newcomer who can't IMAGINE going without alcohol, it seems appropriate. Then as soon as they clear up a little, and provided they are willing to work for changes in their life, it isn't long before the Slogan gets refuted by reality in the Doctor's Opinion...

".....and so suggested a few years ago, that the action of alcohol on these chronic alcoholics is a manifestation of an allergy; that the phenomenon of craving is limited to this class and never occurs in the average temperate drinker. These allergic types can never safely use alcohol in any form at all; and once having formed the habit and found they cannot break it, once having lost their self-confidence, their reliance upon things human, their problems pile up on them and become astonishingly difficult to solve."

It's here when it gets revealed that can alcoholic can NEVER safely drink. Then 'One day at a time' is thrown out for the truth.

Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Post by Joe H » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:29 am

I believe that if we look at the makeup of the Big Book it is composed of truths and beliefs held by peoples from all over the world and specifically to those of the Western Culture. There is nothing new so far as the spiritual principles set forth in the Big Book, some can be traced to ancient peoples. What makes them unique is that they are specifically laid out as a way for the still suffering alcoholic to achieve sobriety and remain sober by living a spiritual life.

I think, and this is only my opinion, we need to look at Dr. Bob's background and beliefs to see where living "One Day At A Time" originated in the Program of AA.

From everything that I have read, Dr. Bob believed very strongly in the Bible. He therefore would have been familiar with the following,

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalm 118: 24

I am not trying to promote or discuss religion or religious beliefs, just the origins of ODAAT.

I have only three tenses of time, past, present and future to work with. My past is past and nothing I do can bring it back. I do believe that I am indeed grateful for everything in my past, good and bad, because with the absence of just one detail I would not be who I am today. My future is not here, therefore I cannot live it. Just as my past is what has made me what I am today, what I do today will make me what I am to be in the future. Therefore, I only have one day to exist in, today. How shall I live today?

The BB tells me I have a daily reprieve contingent upon the maintenance of my spiritual condition. In other words I have to work today to maintain and improve my spiritual condition. What I did yesterday got me through yesterday. If I look back through many yesterdays I find a common thread to living today, the faith to place myself in His care.

Because my faith was strong yesterday will it be strong today? I have no guarantee of this. Life changes and I am only human, subject to human emotions. Great men of strong beliefs had days of limited faith. My dilemma as an alcoholic is if I lose my faith, I am taking the change that the removal of the obsession is also lost.

My obsession to drink has been removed for every day but one in my sobriety. That day I was frail, having a hard time with dealing with life on life's terms and lacking in faith. I did not drink because I learnt the first day of my sobriety that even though part of me wanted to drink a prayer to my Higher Power over-ruled that part. That day I prayed with very little faith only because it worked in the past. That day there was nothing between me and a drink except my God. The result was I did not drink. My faith was not only renewed but made stronger.

Today is the only day that I have to be prepared not to drink. Will my faith be strong enough to over come any hurdle? Only tomorrow will give me that answer. If I pick up a drink today I may never know the answer. I don't have to worry about picking up a drink yesterday because I didn't. I don't have to worry about picking up a drink tomorrow, it is impossible to pick up or not pick up in the future today. Therefore I only have today.

Today is the only chance I have to be grateful and live in the sunlight of the Spirit.

Jim 725

Post by Jim 725 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 am

It may have grown out of the sentence on page 85, "What we have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition."
It is not one of the slogans found on page 135 but is one offered by the "Grapevine." Perhaps writing to the "Grapevine editors will clear it up for you.
Concerning Bill Dotson's story, that particular paragraph is pretty self explanatory:
"The next question they asked was, "You can quit twenty-four hours, can't you?" I said, "Sure, yes, anybody can do that, for twenty-four hours." They said, "That's what we're talking about. Just twenty-four hours at a time." That sure did take a load off of my mind. Every time I'd start thinking about drinking, I would think of the long, dry years ahead without having a drink; but this idea of twenty-four hours, that it was up to me from then on, was a lot of help."
And on page 16 of "As Bill Sees It,"
"Most people feel more secure on the twenty-four hour basis than they do in the resolution that they will never drink again. Most of them have broken too many resolutions. It's really a matter of personal choice; every A.A. has the privilege of interpreting the program as he likes.
"Personally I take the attitude that I intend never to drink again. This is somewhat different from saying 'I will never drink again,' The latter attitude sometimes gets people in trouble because it is undertaking on a personal basis to do something we alcoholics never could do. It is too much an act of will and leaves too little room for the idea that God will release us from the drink obsession provided we follow the A.A. program."
There's also a good read on page 284.
Jim S.

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:21 am

Some good shares on this topic :)

I remember about a week or two (can't remember) after my last drink, I was traumatised by the past. It helps to not live in the past.

After a while, I also became concerned about the future, worrying about "what might be".

So the balance seems to be about planning for the future without living in it.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: One Day At A Time Slogan

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:51 am

so do you wake up everyday and decide you are going to quit for next 24 hours?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:11 am

The post which avaneesh was referring to has been deleted, the person has a record as a known forum spammer with 14 recent 'hits' on the stop forum spam website. Some people get their kicks in very strange ways.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Noels

Post by Noels » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:12 am

Wow really great idea to bring the older threads back into the present. Firstly it shows me that 6 years ago the older members felt exactly the same way about the " then " older members which when we read their posts now shows progress and growth. It also shows me that its quite natural for newer members to come up with the same questions and have the same feelings. :lol: I'm gonna get into trouble for this but it could be a good idea for some of the " now " older members to read their posts posted when they were still " new " to the world of AA.
The second thing that jumped to me from the original post is something that I have been posting all along, just on a " different topic " if its easier to look at it that way -

It boils down to " are we fooling the (hate this word " newcomer") by avoiding certain words repeatedly used in the Big Book AND which is the actual foundation of the 12 steps in today's life" - the answer which is once again a definite reflected in this post - [quote="avaneesh912"]

Are we miss-leading that its one at a time deal?

One of the fellows, I think it was Doc, said, Well you want to quit? I said, "Yes, Doc, I would like to quit, at least for five six, or eight months until i get things straightened up and begin to get the respect of my wife and some other people back and get my finances fixed up and so on." And they both laughed very heartily and said, "Thats better than you been doing, isn't it?" which of course was true. They said, "We have got some bad news for you. It was bad news for us and it will probably be bad news for you Whether you quit six days months or years if you go out and take a drink or two, you'll end up in this hospital tied down just like you have been in these past six months. you are an alcoholic." As far as I know that was the first time I had ever paid any attention to that word. I figured i was just a drunk. And they said, "No you have a disease and it doesn't make any difference how long you do without it, after a drink or two you'll end up just like you are now." That certainly was real disheartening news at the time.

They didn't tell this man what he wanted to hear OR softened it at all. They told him the truth - " if you go out and take a drink or two youll end up in this hospital again ..."

Noels

BlackedOut
Forums Enthusiast

Post by BlackedOut » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:19 am

Joe H wrote:
This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Psalm 118: 24

I am not trying to promote or discuss religion or religious beliefs, just the origins of ODAAT.
I, too realize not everyone here believes the Bible is true nor do I want to push my spiritual/religious beliefs. However, I do believe that the Bible has a lot to offer anyone who wants to achieve stability.

Here is another verse that I think well-depicts the concept of "One Day At A Time:"

"...do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Matthew 6:34

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:43 pm

BlackedOut wrote:
Here is another verse that I think well-depicts the concept of "One Day At A Time:"

"...do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Matthew 6:34
I agree. Works for me!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:11 am

so do you wake up everyday and decide you are going to quit for next 24 hours?
I personally wake up everyday and ask for help with the next 24 hours. Not just until the Liquor Store closes, and not for the next 24-28 Days/Years. Just for Today.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:59 am

Is it about not drinking one day at a time? Its about being present here and now.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:34 pm

For me, it is about not having to worry about today. The morning prayer for assistance will get me through whatever today brings. If I start thinking about what tomorrow brings, that opens a whole new can of worms.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:14 am

Here's an excerpt from the pamphlet on AA's 24 hour plan:

"For example, we take no pledges, we don’t say that we will “never” drink again. Instead, we try to follow what we in A.A. call the “24-hour plan.” We concentrate on keeping sober just the current twenty-four hours. We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink. If we feel the urge for a drink, we neither yield nor resist. We merely put off taking that particular drink until tomorrow…."

The quote above summarizes how I held on for the first few months of not drinking. It's a miserable existence to live resisting the urge to drink for one hour or day at a time. If that was the way it was going to be for the rest of my life I wouldn't still be here. I would be back to drinking or dead. Thank God I lost the obsession to drink shortly after my fifth step.

Today life goes much smoother if I can just focus on living today. Not wallowing in the past or future tripping. Living with reasonable expectations. Living this way, one day at a time, life is good. Today whenever I wake up whether or not I might drink ins't even a thought. Not even on the radar.