Twenty Four Hours A Day January 10th

For recovery discussion
Brock
Trusted Servant

Twenty Four Hours A Day January 10th

Post by Brock »

Sunday, January 10
Thought for the Day

When we were drinking, most of us were full of pride and selfishness. We believed we could handle our own affairs, even though we were making a mess of our lives. We were very stubborn and didn't like to take advice. We resented being told what to do. To us, humility looked like weakness. But when we came into A.A., we began to be humble. And we found out that humility gave us the power we needed to overcome drinking. Have I learned that there is power in humility?

Meditation for the Day

I will come to God in faith and He will give me a new way of life. This new way of life will alter my whole existence, the words I speak, and the influence I have. They will spring from the life within me. I see how important is the work of a person who has this new way of life. The words and the example of such a person can have a wide influence for good in the world.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may learn the principles of the good life. I pray that I may meditate upon them and work at them, because they are eternal.

Hazelden Foundation PO Box 176 Center City, MN 55012
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Twenty Four Hours A Day January 10th

Post by PaigeB »

When we were drinking... To us, humility looked like weakness.

Meditation for the Day
I will come to God in faith and He will give me a new way of life. This new way of life will alter my whole existence, the words I speak, and the influence I have. They will spring from the life within me...

Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may learn the principles of the good life. I pray that I may meditate upon them and work at them, because they are eternal.
I only had Faith in AA but it was a well enough for a beginning! And I learned to speak Truth from my inner-most self in the meetings of AA. And I learned the Principles... I was not taught what to think, but rather HOW to think. (I saw this was also true for another member in a post I read earlier today!)
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB
DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Twenty Four Hours A Day January 10th

Post by DaveP1951 »

I only had Faith in AA but it was a well enough for a beginning! And I learned to speak Truth from my inner-most self in the meetings of AA. And I learned the Principles... I was not taught what to think, but rather HOW to think.

"I only had Faith in AA but it was a well enough for a beginning!" I can totally relate to that comment. It was my faith in AA meetings and the people at them that kept me coming back to those meetings.

"I was not taught what to think, but rather HOW to think." A lot if us have thru most of our lives (especially the early part) been told what to think, how to behave, and how to feel about certain issues. We do or did this in order that we not be shunned by our parents or peers. "Think like I think, feel like I feel, and behave like I behave or risk the consequences of being punished or banished from the tribe.

Upon entering AA I was introduced to a whole new concept of freedom. The freedom of being able to behave, feel, and think the way I chose. A choice made without the fear of not being accepted. At the most this freedom is adhered to in all groups. At the least it is one of the founding principals of AA. However, the fact is that this freedom to be yourself is what ensures our right to "tread innumerable paths in our quest for faith" and sobriety.

This concept allowed me to let go of my old way of thinking (which was created mostly by previous environment and the people in it) and create new ways of looking at and thinking of life. Ways that made sense and felt right to me. A freedom not to be taken lightly.