DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Re: In what ways has the Fellowship of AA changed

Post by DaveP1951 »

tomsteve wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:16 am
avaneesh912 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:36 am
The shift from 12 step to attending more meetings. Also wearing away from the basic text.
ive been to a few meetings in metro detroit i call Whatver-ya-want Anonymous meetings. problem based where people show up to talk about their day,their car broke down, etc.
also too much meetingmeetingmeeting without talking about THE program being the solution.
I find it very difficult to contribute to those types of meetings ["Whatver-ya-want Anonymous meetings. problem based where people show up to talk about their day,their car broke down, etc."] because I do not have some of the same problems some of those folks have, For instance my car runs just fine. Used to be people talked about the steps in reference to how the steps kept them sober and improved their life. I agree way to much " meetingmeetingmeeting ."

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

I am ok with the "Day by Day My day was Just Awful/Great" Meetings, for after all "Alcohol was but a Symptom".

But I do usually Share during those types of Meetings, a message of "The Spiritual Life is Not a Theory, We have to Live it." for Page 64.
Resentment is the “number one’’ offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically.

(which follows the 3rd Step, before the 4th Step).

The 3rd Step is about "Us, becoming apart of the World, about Life" and not "Us trying to Control Life." And Who am I to say "I don't need to Hear this Rubbish right now?" It might just be Exactly what I need to hear to be ready for tomorrow.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

D'oh wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:28 pm
The 3rd Step is about "Us, becoming apart of the World, about Life" and not "Us trying to Control Life." And Who am I to say "I don't need to Hear this Rubbish right now?" It might just be Exactly what I need to hear to be ready for tomorrow.
Thumbs up on this!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

The shift from 12 step to attending more meetings. Also wearing away from the basic text.
Actually, many of the old timers who were there when I got sober (34 years ago), went to meetings every night. I was so grateful to listen to them.
...a score card reading zero...

retired baker
Forums Enthusiast

Post by retired baker »

DaveP1951 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 am
This is my second post { re: topic selection] on this forum since I joined a short time ago. Just to clarify, I joined this forum, because it offered me an opportunity to ask questions that are important to me regarding my sobriety as well as questions that would give my-self a better concept of AA outside of my home group. I must say I appreciated all the feedback from the first post and wish to move on to my next question/topic.
During my almost four decades of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous I have seen a number of changes in the philosophy and functioning of our society. [relating to the society of AA] Some seem to be beneficial to our survival and others perhaps not so beneficial. I am interested in what others on this forum have noticed in the way of changes in the fellowship in what they believe to be both positive or negative aspects. The reason underlying this question is I seem to hear a lot of “AA isn’t what it used to be.” This topic is posted in the hopes of giving my-self a better understanding of how others outside of my geographical area feel about the path AA is on.
Depends how AA is defined, to me its a book.
If there are problems in the fellowship its self correcting.

Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Soberguy27 »

I guess it depends on where you live. I have three decades in aa and I have moved from where I first got sober about ten years ago.
In my early years there were several big meetings meaning meetings of at least fifty people and more. Those were great with many old timers a d young people too. The Saturday night chip meeting would attract almo 100 people. That meeting always ran long because of how many people got hips that night. Afterwards many of us would go over to the nearby cafe' and take over the back meeti g room which they always held for us on Saturday nights. We would ha e pie and coffee ( decalf) and just talk amongst each other and close the place down.
Where I got sober most meeting were speaker discussion meetings. The speaker would speak for about 15 minutes then pick a topic and open theeeting for discussion. When people would share, they would stand at the front of the room and share.

Where I currently live, there are no after meeting going to the local cafe' for a quick bite thing. People just go home. And people do not go to the front of the room to share, they share from where ever they are sitting. So sometimes you have to turn around in your seat to see who is sharing. I'm not a big fan of this. I sometimes drive to the city I got sober at which is about an hour and 20 minutes away just to see some old friends and actually go out for coffee after the meeting. So the change for me is mostly that there is not a lot of fellowship ping after the meetings.
One thing that I do like is how aa is not as strict as it was when I got sober. You very rarely saw addicts at meetings. Now there are widely accepted as most addicts today are also alcoholics. Myself, I did do my share of drug use but I always returned to alcohol as my main drug of choice.
Times have changed and so aa has to change with it if it's going to be around in the future.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

In 1992, when I first attended a meeting of AA, the fellowship was full of people that didn't understand ME and MY alcoholism and obviously didn't have a clue how to help ME. Over the years I have seen a 180 degree turn in the personalities of the people in the fellowship. I can only hope that I have changed as well. :~)

Greywolf
Forums Contributor

Post by Greywolf »

Changed from sharing Experience, Strength and Hope to quoting Bill W. out of the BB.
Changed from The Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous to AA being spoken of as when I came to "this program".

IMO The biggest change since I came in is the steps being used as so-called tools instead of steps taken as a program of recovery resulting in a spiritual awakening.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.

Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Post by Joe H »

Meetings have changed how they present the message and the fellowship is different. But one thing has not changed, alcoholism. One alcoholic helping another and the first 164 pages still works.