God/Higher Power

For recovery discussion
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Re: God/Higher Power

Post by Layne »

It would have been much more helpful if the BB (and the Bible) was extremely specific on everything in it.
That would be nice, however what is specific for one person, will be vague to another person. There will never be a universal one size fits all anything when humans are involved. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against humans, my best friend is one; but they can and do complicate anything and everything.
My confusion with this is that if one choosing something as their HP, it would need to also relate to being their own creator. I don't know how humans were created, but the door knob theory just doesn't seem logical.
Unless you have chosen a doorknob as your higher power, you are free and clear on this issue, because whether it is logical or not shouldn't matter to you and it doesn't need to make sense to you.

I struggled for years because everything needed to make sense to me or else why should I do things the way that I do then. Looking back at my past history freed me from that need because I realized what the hell do I know anyway. For years I did things that make sense to me and those things qualified me for my seat in the rooms of AA and my seat at this keyboard. =surprised Initially upon coming into AA, I needed to do things that didn't make any sense to me but they were things suggested to me as alternative way to do things as opposed to the way that made sense to me and qualified me for my seat. I had to proceed on faith instead of sense. When I did that and took the leap of faith, things finally began to make sense.

Now days, when things make sense to me, I carefully consider the source because what the hell do I know anyway! :~)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

dralius wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:01 am
I am in my 14th week of sobriety. I don't not attribute any of it to a higher power. The concept still baffles me. I am told that the HP doesn't need to be GOD, that it can be anything, your AA group, the universe, even a door knob. Looking at the steps I don't see how this is possible.

5. Admitted to a door knob, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have my AA group remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked the universe to remove our shortcomings.
Ok - so a door knob? I can manipulate that. The god Gene? So far, I can't manipulate that!
"The God gene hypothesis proposes that human spirituality is influenced by heredity and that a specific gene, called vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2), predisposes humans towards spiritual or mystic experiences."
Theo50 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:10 am
I will post my question in a simpler way.

According to the BB, are the following 3 terms synonymous?
God
Higher Power
Creator

This is where I get confused.
Semantics. Semantics. Semantics!
Yes they might all refer to the same thing for most people, but not for me. I think Bill just did not want the word GOD to become redundant in the wording of the book and I hear that an atheist was instrumental in helping right this book. Not Ebby who originally mentions "god of your own understanding" and not Bill's grandfather who was an atheist either - but another drunk of the first 100. It is my understanding that this man insisted, and the others readily agreed, that the Big Book be "all inclusive and never exclusive". (page 46)
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

dralius
Forums Enthusiast

Post by dralius »

Layne wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:51 am
I had to proceed on faith instead of sense. When I did that and took the leap of faith, things finally began to make sense.

I guess this is what they mean by surrender.
"There is no greater disaster than discontent."
-Loazi...

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:01 am
Page 85 of the BB:
"Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities. “How can I best serve Thee-Thy will (not mine) be done.” "

Page 76 of the BB:
"When ready, we say something like this: “My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen.” We have then completed Step Seven."
There. My Understanding of it. Heaviest on the "(NOT MINE)" part.

May I ask, Do you have a Sponsor?

You don't have to answer.

My understanding of a Sponsor is simply "Someone who has what you want and is willing to show you How they got it."

My Sponsor's Belief is very vague, but for the Fact, that Humbly it isn't Them. In fact, ever Sponsor I have had over the Years, none have shared the same vision of a Higher Power, (nearly the complete Spectrum) but they All Humbly knew that without one, they wouldn't be here.

dralius
Forums Enthusiast

Post by dralius »

I am working with my sponsor on step 4 right now.

I don't know him very well, we have only spoken by phone a few times and been to some ZOOM meetings with him. I took him on when my last sponsor decided that he couldn't help me get through step 3.
"There is no greater disaster than discontent."
-Loazi...

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

dralius wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:41 am

I don't know him very well, we have only spoken by phone a few times and been to some ZOOM meetings with him. I took him on when my last sponsor decided that he couldn't help me get through step 3.
Step 3 has been a practice... the song gets better the more I try to play it!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

dralius wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:41 am

It is said "The first evidence of Step 3 is a 4th Step."

It was SO True for me. I was attempting my first 4th Step. Going through the Steps with My Sponsor. But I could not write a single word without getting confused.

Then, I went away to a Detox. (yes 2 months Sober), but Treatment would not accept me with Pending Charges. But I tried to make the Best of it, maybe some time away then I could do my 4th Step.

It was awhful, Drunks coming in, leaving and coming back. People going through DT's, and such (Why am I here mental attitude).

Then My Grandmother passed away, I went Home for a break from Detox. It was even Worse at Home. Drunks, even Relatives who were Members. Then I wound up at a Meeting that Night. Then it Dawned on Me. "OPEN MIND, everything Happens for a Reason"

I returned to finish Detox, and at the First Outside Meeting. a Member named "Joe" said "Every bodies Happy Faces in these rooms, That's not Them, it's a Higher Power working through Them." "They are all just Messed Up Alcoholics."

Then I had it! The Missing 2nd Step. The Group isn't a Higher Power, it's a mixture of Their Higher Powers working through them. I can have a Higher Power Also, if I just Ask.

tomsteve
Forums Long Timer

Post by tomsteve »

D'oh wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:51 pm

It is said "The first evidence of Step 3 is a 4th Step."
one of the places in the bb that has a time line is between steps 3-4:
Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us.

when i was crankin on my 4th i noticed at meetings quite a few people( mostly people brought to meetings from a local detox) saying,"i got to my 4th and drank/got high."didnt understand it.i was crankin on my 4th- i WANTED to know what was makin me tick (or not tick).
talked to an old timer after the meeting:" dont get it. im crankin on the 4th and quite a few say they got to the 4th and drank. what gives?"
his simple answer:
" you did the first 3 steps."