God/Higher Power

For recovery discussion
DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Re: God/Higher Power

Post by DaveP1951 »

BA Lodi wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 pm

"And it's hard to think outside the box when the culture I was raised in provides all my ideas and vocabulary! "
So true. What I was taught as a child in the society I was born into didn't serve me much purpose in my adult life.
So upon entering AA and being confronted with new information I had a choice. Either change my former belief, strengthen my former belief, or just ignore the new information. I used this new information to change my former belief to one that would work for me. I think I believe much the same as you.

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

Basically!

I Can't

AA Can!

Members carry the Message.

Then I found their Message is from a Higher Power than them

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

DaveP1951 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:07 pm
Layne wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:52 am
I believe my higher power provides a road map but the legwork is up to me.
That sounds like an interesting analogy Layne. Does each person have a different road map and if so how does one know how too read and navigate it?
I have no idea about anyone else and their map, but I navigate mine through improving and maintaining conscious contact with my higher power. Somewhat akin to an interactive GPS (turn right in 500 feet) :~)

DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DaveP1951 »

Layne wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:54 pm
DaveP1951 wrote:
Layne wrote:
That sounds like an interesting analogy Layne. Does each person have a different road map and if so how does one know how too read and navigate it?
I have no idea about anyone else and their map, but I navigate mine through improving and maintaining conscious contact with my higher power. Somewhat akin to an interactive GPS (turn right in 500 feet) :~)
Thanks for your reply Layne.

DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DaveP1951 »

D'oh wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm
Basically!

I Can't

AA Can!

Members carry the Message.

Then I found their Message is from a Higher Power than them
"Most Good ideas are simple" The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. And, that idea of yours fits into that philosophy. Thanks for your input.

DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DaveP1951 »

DaveP1951 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 pm
BA Lodi wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:43 pm

"And it's hard to think outside the box when the culture I was raised in provides all my ideas and vocabulary! "
So true. What I was taught as a child in the society I was born into didn't serve me much purpose in my adult life.
So upon entering AA and being confronted with new information I had a choice. Either change my former belief, strengthen my former belief, or just ignore the new information. I used this new information to change my former belief to one that would work for me. I think I believe much the same as you.
Sorry for the confusion in the above post. It should go like this.
BA Lodi wrote "And it's hard to think outside the box when the culture I was raised in provides all my ideas and vocabulary! "
And I answered “So true. What I was taught as a child in the society I was born into didn't serve me much purpose in my adult life. So upon entering AA and being confronted with new information I had a choice. Either change my former belief, strengthen my former belief, or just ignore the new information. I used this new information to change my former belief to one that would work for me. I think I believe much the same as you.”

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

DaveP1951 wrote:
Layne wrote:
All waterways and paths reach the Ocean. Even discarded pieces of trash reach the Ocean.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost »

"For those of you who have been sober for a while, in looking back over your sobriety, how much of your sobriety do you attribute to a belief in a Higher Power/God?

Hello DaveP1951.
Thanks for the question.

It is obvious to me NOW, that my best abilities and attitudes were driving straight toward destruction
of anything good in my Life, since I was so messed up by traumas and griefs.
Alcohol gave me the Power to carry out my destruction.

I was lucky in my sobriety that God/HP intervened in my Life and posed some questions to me right at
the time I was to enter another rehab.
These questions allowed ME/MYSELF and I to surrender.
So I see surrender as that pivot point that can lead an alcoholic to change no matter what or if they recognize a HP/God.

I personally have grown my definition of HP to be Great Mystery. Since I know so little
and cannot see the forest through the tree I am about to run into, it has become my
practice to surrender daily control over to this Greater then myself Mystery that works regardless
as long as I surrender, and occasionally even when I don't.
So my HP can be anything still to this day. If I need a Old Father figure to teach me,so be it.
If I need a tree to sit with and feel rooted, so be it.
Or a shooting star or a smile, whatever I need, I even find the door knob fine
as long as I have the KEY of acceptance.
The following phrase on pg 56 in the BB was a big mind opener for me. "Infinite Power and Love."
Thinking of Power and Love as Infinite was a mind blower.It allowed me to see just how much I limit myself, once again.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DaveP1951 »

Sounds like your open to what ever works for you when you need results. And, as we all know, we can argue the method but we can't argue the results. Thank you for your insight and input.

Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Soberguy27 »

Alcoholics anonymous is based on Christian values and those who say otherwise are just in denile. Most meetings end with the lords prayer which is a Christian prayer. God and reliance upon God are mentioned in the big book as well as prayer and meditation.
I am ok with that even though I am an atheist in aa with 30 years of sobriety.
In my early sobriety I was afraid to acknowledge my atheism as I didn't see anyone at meetings ever talk about not believing in God or a higher power. My 1st sponsor was a very religious man and a bit intimidating so I went along with what he said. I said all the prayers, meditated and said the third step prayer and other prayers all the time. Nothing ever came of it only that it pleased my sponsor.
We read through the BB and I had a hard time with the chapter we agnostics. Basically because it tells you how not to be an agnostic rather than showing you that you can still get sober while being agnostic so you can see as an atheist this was even harder for me.

I had a falling out with that sponsor ( not because of my atheism)
So I moved on. My next sponsor was a Christian but was not as pushy on the God thing although he began to become controlling.

So, I was looking again for a new sponsor. I found someone who did believe in God but wasn't religious. He was great and really helped me. Now I still did not tell him about my atheism as to me that word was unwelcomed in aa or at least I thought it was. He sponsored me for many years but then moved away.
It was in my 18th year that I decided to out myself as an atheist. I was waiting for the backlash but it never came. I did get a few sarcastic keep coming back remarks but I shrugged them off.

It was then that I found out that there were many atheists within the rooms of aa. There was a lot more than I thought and people who I had known for many years who told me they were also atheists.
Being free from fear of the backlash on the God thing my program became even stronger. I really began to concentrate on the principles and applying them in my every day life.
It took me 18 years to fully embrace the old saying " take what you need and leave the rest"
I realized that when people would share at meetings that they were not telling me how to work my program, they were sharing how they work their program. I know, some of you may think, it took you that long? Well sometimes quickly sometimes slowly right?

My life has been great for a long time, I am married, have children and two wonderful grandchildren who are now young adults. My life is full of happiness.
I go to meetings still ( never believed in stopping) , some what I would call regular aa meetings and meetings for atheists and agnostics. I always seem to get a lot from each.
One man told me something a long time ago that I hold dear to this day.
He said " if you believe in God, you can get this program, if you don't believe in God, you can get this program, it's when you think you're God, that's where you are going to have problems"

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 »

Soberguy27 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:07 pm

One man told me something a long time ago that I hold dear to this day.
He said " if you believe in God, you can get this program, if you don't believe in God, you can get this program, it's when you think you're God, that's where you are going to have problems"

Indeed ! Thank you for that.

Congratulations to you and to AA on your sobriety anniversary.

Have a wonderful virtual celebration.

retired baker
Forums Enthusiast

Post by retired baker »

DaveP1951 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:25 am
My name is Dave and I am an alcoholic. I am new to this group although I am not new to recovery. I decided to give online recovery a try to supplement my once a week face to face group. So here is my question "For those of you who have been sober for a while, in looking back over your sobriety, how much of your sobriety do you attribute to a belief in a Higher Power/God?
God is the answer, what was the question again? :wink:

Stassity
Forums Newcomer

Post by Stassity »

I work in a partnership with God in all areas of my life. He holds my sobriety. I seek guidance from God everyday. This all goes hand in hand with step 3 for me. I will never have to deal with anything in life alone, ever again. I tried holding my own sobriety and did a pretty good job for 17 years but relapsed because of the absence of a working relationship with the God of my understanding. Peace to you in your search for truth in your sobriety.

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

Welcome here Stassity.

Thanks for the reminder, it’s a powerful message you wrote. One that reminds me that without step eleven, I would really have no AA program at all.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Lee S
Forums Newcomer

Post by Lee S »

Hi I’m Lee
I’m powerless over my addiction
And
My life had become unmanageable
I am an alcoholic

Zero.... Zero attributes from someone’s god or higher power in my sobriety.
Clean and sober from the ages 15-37 ish... / 37 ish-45 were years I spent very deep in the bottom of a bottle.
I don’t complicate my sobriety or life with any way shape or form of religion.
I go to a lot of meetings, very few of them secular. I work a 12 step Secular program very similar to the AA traditional steps and traditions.
I follow too the best of my ability the 12 principles we find in its teachings.
I Work with a sponsor, who is of the catholic religion I’ll add, fill positions of service, reach out to newcomers.
I read quit a bit of secular recovery literature.
I don’t hide these facts from anyone in the rooms and I don’t use or say things that would lead anyone to think that I work anything other then a secular program.
I do this mostly for the newcomer who might feel unwelcome or put off with all the god talk, and I do it for all others to help them understand, that yes! It is possible to recover without a god or higher power.
( I often refer to the 3rd tradition )
You work your program, I’ll work mine. It works best that way.
I’ll help you if I can, please help me if you can. It’s called 12 stepping.
I refer to this as a power greater then my self. There are lots of them!
Do not confuse it with the phrase, higher power.
The biggest attributes in my sobriety are work, work, work!
And remembering!
REMEMBERING that we are dealing with alcohol, cunning, baffling, powerful.

Wishing everyone here the best,
And thank you everyone for being here

Lee S.
To many years and not enough days made Lee a drunk boy ....