God/Higher Power

For recovery discussion
DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

God/Higher Power

Post by DaveP1951 »

My name is Dave and I am an alcoholic. I am new to this group although I am not new to recovery. I decided to give online recovery a try to supplement my once a week face to face group. So here is my question "For those of you who have been sober for a while, in looking back over your sobriety, how much of your sobriety do you attribute to a belief in a Higher Power/God?

Indianapolis
Forums Enthusiast

Re: God/Higher Power

Post by Indianapolis »

I'm a pleasant, open minded agnostic. Don't mind that others have God, don't mind hearing about him, glad it works for them. But I neither have religion, nor have any desire to find it, nor stress about that gap in my life in the slightest. Thus, "God" has had nothing to do with my sobriety, to my knowledge.

My higher powers are the group, the telephone, and reality unfiltered by my alcoholic brain. I couldn't get sober or stay sober long-term without the group and the telephone, and I can't stay sober a day without a clearer view of reality. I couldn't do it alone, so help has been required, and I'm happy to embrace that assistance as my higher power.

Welcome! I also enjoy this as a supplement to my meetings. Nice to get a minute free at my desk and use it to think about recovery, keeps it fresh.

DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DaveP1951 »

Indianapolis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:46 am
I'm a pleasant, open minded agnostic. Don't mind that others have God, don't mind hearing about him, glad it works for them. But I neither have religion, nor have any desire to find it, nor stress about that gap in my life in the slightest. Thus, "God" has had nothing to do with my sobriety, to my knowledge.

My higher powers are the group, the telephone, and reality unfiltered by my alcoholic brain. I couldn't get sober or stay sober long-term without the group and the telephone, and I can't stay sober a day without a clearer view of reality. I couldn't do it alone, so help has been required, and I'm happy to embrace that assistance as my higher power.

Welcome! I also enjoy this as a supplement to my meetings. Nice to get a minute free at my desk and use it to think about recovery, keeps it fresh.
Thank you for your reply. Very well said.

Theo50
Forums Contributor

Post by Theo50 »

The entire AA program of recovery is based on a belief in a Higher Power/God.

I would appreciate any input in the thread I started here: https://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25896

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Theo50 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:02 pm

I would appreciate any input in the thread I started here: https://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25896
That thread got locked at page 5 - but would love to see the discussion continue in Part II and here!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

DaveP1951 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:25 am
My name is Dave and I am an alcoholic. I am new to this group although I am not new to recovery. I decided to give online recovery a try to supplement my once a week face to face group. So here is my question "For those of you who have been sober for a while, in looking back over your sobriety, how much of your sobriety do you attribute to a belief in a Higher Power/God?
I went the first 7 years of sobriety in comfortable atheism. It is entirely possible to remain that way as I have heard from others.

I have since become polytheistic and still enjoy a practical program of action in AA. My Spirit is not "one side of my being" it is indeed everything. We are spiritual beings on a human journey ~ Steve Covey (?). I do not say "Thank Goddess in AA lest I set myself as different & separate from others. I do not say The Lord's Prayer out loud at all. I just am who I am without any kind of proselytism in either direction.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

MyNameIsBetsy
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

how much of your sobriety do you attribute to a belief in a Higher Power/God?
All of it.

My daily prayer is that God will bless me with another day of sobriety and the willingness to do my part.

Betsy, an alcoholic
Last edited by MyNameIsBetsy on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

DaveP1951
Forums Enthusiast

Post by DaveP1951 »

PaigeB wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 pm
Theo50 wrote:

That thread got locked at page 5 - but would love to see the discussion continue in Part II and here!
Thanks for posting.

Theo50
Forums Contributor

Post by Theo50 »

PaigeB wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 pm
Theo50 wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, I will start a part II.

Theo50
Forums Contributor

Post by Theo50 »

PaigeB wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:37 pm
DaveP1951 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:25 am
I went the first 7 years of sobriety in comfortable atheism. It is entirely possible to remain that way as I have heard from others.

I have since become polytheistic and still enjoy a practical program of action in AA. My Spirit is not "one side of my being" it is indeed everything. We are spiritual beings on a human journey ~ Steve Covey (?). I do not say "Thank Goddess in AA lest I set myself as different & separate from others. I do not say The Lord's Prayer out loud at all. I just am who I am without any kind of proselytism in either direction.
Always good to hear different points of view from other "atheist" (or similar) perceptions.
I still struggle with my conception (mis-conception) of "God" but reading the AA BB, it is difficult as it appears to be a requirement, not an option. I am not aware of anything in the literature that states we can do this without God's help.

From "How it works";
Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures
before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

This is from power of NOW:

The word God has become empty of meaning through thousands of years of misuse. I use it sometimes, but I do so sparingly. By misuse, I mean that people who have never even glimpsed the realm of the sacred, the infinite vastness behind that word, use it with great conviction, as if they knew what they are talking about. Or they argue against it, as if they knew what it is that they are denying. This misuse gives rise to absurd beliefs, assertions, and egoic delusions, such as "My or our God is the only true God, and your God is false," or Nietzsche's famous statement "God is dead."
The word God has become a closed concept. The moment the word is uttered, a mental image is created, no longer, perhaps, of an old man with a white beard, but still a mental representation of someone or something outside you, and, yes, almost inevitably a male someone or something.
Neither God nor Being nor any other word can define or explain the ineffable reality behind the word, so the only important question is whether the word is a help or a hindrance in enabling you to experience That toward which it points. Does it point beyond itself to that transcendental reality, or does it lend itself too easily to becoming no more than an idea in your head that you believe in, a mental idol?

The word Being explains nothing, but nor does God. Being, however, has the advantage that it is an open concept. It does not reduce the infinite invisible to a finite entity. It is impossible to form a mental image of it. Nobody can claim exclusive possession of Being. It is your very essence, and it is immediately accessible to you as the feeling of your own presence, the realization I am that is prior to I am this or I am that. So it is only a small step from the word Being to the experience of Being.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

"For those of you who have been sober for a while, in looking back over your sobriety, how much of your sobriety do you attribute to a belief in a Higher Power/God?
Step 4, I could not write anything.

Step 1 was Obvious, or I wouldn't have ever walked threw the Doors. If Drinking was Good, I would be doing it 2-3 times a day, if I woke up that often.

Step 2 WAS Obvious, The Members were Sober, and willing to Help me get that way also.

Step 3 Was confusing, "How to turn My Will and My Life, over to the Fellowship? Well, Make Coffee, Open Meetings, Empty Ash Trays.

Step 4 Was impossible.

Then at a Meeting, a Member named Joe. Very Simply stated "Everybody's Happy Faces at Meetings, That's not Them, That's a Higher Power working Through Them. They are All just Messed Up Alcoholics."

Right then, I realized there was Something Bigger than the Fellowship.
Last edited by D'oh on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indianapolis
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Indianapolis »

Theo50 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:14 pm
I still struggle with my conception (mis-conception) of "God" but reading the AA BB, it is difficult as it appears to be a requirement, not an option. I am not aware of anything in the literature that states we can do this without God's help.
And yet here I am, sober. And thousands more atheists and agnostics with no "god", still sober through AA. Either that means (1) us agnostics are all doomed to fail, or (2) that the Big Book was written by one guy with three years sobriety who thought God was his answer, and maybe we shouldn't assume it as gospel on this issue.

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

And yet here I am, sober. And thousands more atheists and agnostics with no "god", still sober through AA. Either that means (1) us agnostics are all doomed to fail, or (2) that the Big Book was written by one guy with three years sobriety who thought God was his answer, and maybe we shouldn't assume it as gospel on this issue.
It does not say "God" is needed, only Sought.

It does say that a "No Human Power could"

A Higher Power, needs not be God. But it isn't Me or a Human.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I like this part of we agnostics:

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another’s conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe under- lying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps. We found that God does not make too hard terms with those who seek Him. To us, he Realm of Spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive; never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek. It is open, we believe, to all men.(this is zen like)

Again, if you are not convinced, you need the power, you will not look for it. As simple as that. Thats why they say step one is the most important step of all.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)