People Who Were Already Christians Before Becoming Alcoholics?

For recovery discussion
Kay
Forums Newcomer

People Who Were Already Christians Before Becoming Alcoholics?

Post by Kay »

Pretty much what the subject says. Can people have been born again Christians, but then become alcoholics years down the road?

MyNameIsBetsy
Forums Enthusiast

Re: People Who Were Already Christians Before Becoming Alcoholics?

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

Hi Kay, Great question.

Alcoholism is an illness. An alcoholic drinking to excess time and time again is not a moral failing. It is our illness playing out. We alcoholics aren't bad people, we are sick people.

I know a lot of committed, born again Christians in the rooms of AA. I am one. Alcohol had separated me from God for years and years while I was drinking. Once sober, I came back to God.

An alcoholic drinks because we have an obsession of the mind . . . we cannot get the idea of a drink out of our heads. Then once we drink, we can't stop at one drink because we have an illness, an allergy of the body to alcohol of any kind. It is a vicious cycle.

To most normal drinkers, the idea of getting drunk time and time again seems absurd. Crazy. Insane. Those normal drinkers can enjoy a drink, or two, and walk away. Not we alcoholics. We don't stop at one or two as long as there is more to be had. We protect our supply, make lots of excuses, and manipulate our situations to make sure we can drink more. I did that for a lot of years!

We alcoholics come in all sizes, ages, income levels, colors, and faith. The thing we all have in common is once we start drinking we do not stop. We may swear off the booze, only to find ourselves drunk again a short time later! I did that, too many times to count!

To stop, and stay stopped, we need help. If you - or someone you know - are ready for that help, you can find us in most towns and cities. To find a meeting near to you, try an online search for the name of your hometown and the words "Alcoholics Anonymous." Or try searching for your local zip code here (scroll down and look on right side of the screen) : https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/meeting-guide

Betsy, an alcoholic
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

I am a Christian, at least bought up to be, but not for the last twenty or so years much of a church goer, just funerals and weddings. My understanding of just about every religion, is to save your soul when you die, happiness after death.

AA is not religious but spiritual, and my understanding of spirituality, having studied a fair number of books on the subject, is to help us enjoy life here and now. That is why the program speaks of the essential spiritual awaking, and resulting life of serenity and happiness.

So in short, I can be a born again Christian and be unhappy, booze helps take care of that for a time. Or I can develop my spirituality, to the point that I feel better than I ever did from drinking.

Thanks for an interesting question.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

Alcoholism, doesn't discriminate. Anyone can succumb to the Illness.

tomsteve
Forums Long Timer

Post by tomsteve »

Kay wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:39 pm
Pretty much what the subject says. Can people have been born again Christians, but then become alcoholics years down the road?
alcoholism is an equal oppertunity destroyer. it doesnt care what religion or faith a person may have.
im a christain but because i am doesnt mean satan isnt at work on me. in fact, hes at work even more. satan doesnt work on the people he has. he works on the people he doesnt have.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Yesterday, I heard a guy who shared who avoids the group we were at because until 3 1/2 years ago, he would lie to his family saying he is going to Sunday Mass and sit in the parking lot few yards away and sipping whiskey for couple of hours. Further shared he was a catholic. Set aside the conditioned knowledge and look at the tragedy across the world. My wife started visiting alon meetings. She is so grateful that I am already in recovery. She sees so many families baffled. Its a mixed bag. The whole family is filled with drunks or this is the baffling feature, some are seeing alcoholism/addiction first time in the whole family history.

Read the first few paragraph of "There is a solution" chapter. Bill beautifully captures this. One statement would be sufficient.

We are people who normally would not mix.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

JimBrzoza
Forums Newcomer

Post by JimBrzoza »

Only Jesus knows if I have become a better Christian and if that is really a concern since my sobriety has been a gift.
My best thinking almost killed me before I came to A A.
When I got to a point in my life where I didn't want to die and I didn't want to live then I started to listen and was on the road to recovery.
God if you exist ,then please help was my desperate crying to my sometimes rocky journey.
Life is difficult for the sober or drunk.
After 39 years of sobriety this time I can say that life is still easier staying sober than trying to get sober.
Sometimes it was just for today I would ask God to keep me sober and other days it was one minute at a time asking to stay sober.
I pray I always remember the heavy price that it was to get sober.
Always remember KEEP COMING BACK
Jim

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Kay wrote:
Step 2: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. BB page 59

Therefore, Step Two is the rallying point for all of us. Whether agnostic, atheist, or former believer, we can stand together on this Step. ~ TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS. p. 33

and

True humility and an open mind can lead us to faith, and every A.A. meeting is an assurance that God will restore us to sanity if we rightly relate ourselves to Him. ~ TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS. p. 33
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Akroyd
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Akroyd »

I was brought up Christian, I’d say was pretty devote. I could tell you all about my religious knowledge, quote scripture, truly believed I believed.
All of that didn’t keep me from picking up the first drink. Didn’t save me from alcoholism. I Couldn’t treat my sick mind with a sick mind. I needed more that what I got in church. My religious convictions obviously didn’t have the needed power for a guy like me.

I found in the process of the 12 steps I was blocked from God. It laid out a clear spiritual pathway to reconnect. Which allowed me to really feel the sunlight of the spirit.

I have found all of my knowledge and prejudice can keep me from being able to experience God...a god personal to me, free from dogma and expectations. Free from what I think I know.

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

I was raised Roman Catholic and continue to practice my faith. I had lapses, of course, in my revolutionary youth, but for most of my 57 years I remained a practising Catholic. Well, I am an alcoholic, so...
I have also come across members of the Catholic clergy who are alcoholic.

StephenD
Forums Newcomer

Post by StephenD »

Kay wrote:
Being an alcoholic has nothing to do with your Christianity. It happens to many people! The AA Fellowship will lead you back to God though for sure. Alcoholism does not discriminate, as stated earlier I believe.

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

How do they put it? "Religion is for those who want to stay out of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there."

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac »

As it was mentioned above addictive nature doesn't not discriminate; but those who have a relationship with Jesus can overcome this disease and for me I am not cured as today I have no desire to drink and I fully believe I have been relieved of that part of the symptom called alcoholism. Those pesky character defects are my daily reminder of what life was and what it is today if I am honest and true to myself and to my maker I will have contentment with life.

I am sure many will disagree with my logic and that is ok as my way of understanding my life and each to there own until they find that special place they belong.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Db1105
Forums Contributor

Post by Db1105 »

If you want to save your soul, go to church, if you want to save your ass, go to AA.
Last edited by Db1105 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Db1105 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:35 am
If you want to save your soul, go to church, if you want to save your ass, go to AAA.
AAA has saved my ass before too! But I am pretty sure you meant AA.

Funny story. 50 years ago a woman in our community called AAA trying to reach Alcoholics Anonymous. By the Grace of whatever is Higher, the person answering the phone at AAA knew of AA and managed to get her properly connected with the correct Ass-saving agency in her time of need. :lol: :lol:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB