Ok to step out of a service commitment?

For recovery discussion
I am not anonymous
Forums Newcomer

Ok to step out of a service commitment?

Post by I am not anonymous »

Hi everyone, I am not sure where to post this but i am flustered with my home group. I am the GSR and i want to step down because as I understand gso gives sobriety guidelines for structured service positions based on tried experiences. My homegroup is going away from those guidelines to adjust for who we have to fill service positions. Specifically talking about the alt gsr position taking the requirement down to 1 year. Im having a knee jerk gut reaction to this and not sure why..... Would it be ok to step down because i dont agree with them? Nor do i agree that members of the group werent given a heads up to participate and let thier voice be heard regarding this decision.

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Re: Ok to step out of a service commitment?

Post by Brock »

Welcome here, thanks for the question.

I have found that service work can be very frustrating, especially at the level you are discussing. If a group is electing an officer, then all members should be involved in the process, especially if as in this case, the person has less than the recommended experience. However, I suspect as in most smaller groups, it’s fairly easy to see ‘upfront’ who we have that is willing to do the job, and if necessary reduce the experience to fit the person, if not then you would have no alternate. While the guideline does say for GSR and alternate - “Experience shows that the most effective G.S.R.s have been active in group, intergroup, or other service, where they have developed a desire to serve, and encountered situations in which the Twelve Traditions have been called upon to solve problems. Usually, prospective G.S.R.s have at least two years of continuous sobriety...” But it’s just a guide, and apart from the two years sobriety, sometimes a group can’t find volunteers who have the other recommendations, like service at intergroup, or having used the traditions to solve problems and so on. In the service structure there is leeway for ‘learning as we go,’ and once a person is willing they usually get the nod. So to my way of thinking, if nobody else is available and willing, it’s OK to put a less experienced person.

I have stepped down from service in the past, frustrations like these can lead to resentments forming, and if you find yourself unable to accept the situation, and resent what is happening, I think stepping down is best. But we must be careful, even when I stepped down, I still had a bit of resentment, sort of because of X and Y doing the wrong thing I had to step down, it’s a double edge sword sort of deal.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Nor do i agree that members of the group werent given a heads up to participate and let thier voice be heard regarding this decision.
Does your home group have business meetings and are they announced ahead of time?

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

I am not anonymous wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 pm
... as I understand gso gives sobriety guidelines for structured service positions based on tried experiences. My homegroup is going away from those guidelines to adjust for who we have to fill service positions...
Nor do i agree that members of the group werent given a heads up to participate and let thier voice be heard regarding this decision.
Guidelines are not rules. I was given the GSR position when I had 18 months. We had no alternate until the gal who had been gsr 3 or 4 times stepped aside for me to be gsr, then she was Alt. but I never needed her to fill in much. I was gung ho. And I am pretty sure that others were given early service jobs of any sort seemed to do well at the AA program long term. Service to others is extremely important.

As for having no vote on lowering the sobriety time requirement if they voted in a newbie - that seems like a vote to allow it. 2 birds with one stone.

Don't take it all so seriously. That is kinda what I learned from being in service. W all love AA and we all want to be the best we can be as a Group to carry the message to the still suffering. Maybe you can do a Group Inventory... Available through the Grapevine - but really not sure where to find them. They might even be posted here somewhere on this Forum.

And check out this AA flyer https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-16_theaagroup.pdf
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Akroyd
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Akroyd »

In most of the smaller groups I’ve been part of we often didn’t have the numbers to worry about the guidelines. If they had sobriety, were regular members and would be good for them we voted them in. I’ve seen it can be very difficult to fill some positions, particularly GSR within certain groups. Getting anyone to do service can sometimes be a stretch particularly outside the group structure.
Have a group conscience.

I have left service positions, once when a group was folding, once when I moved.
I commit, it has brought about some “growth” in me when I come up against stuff. Either to teach or be taught.

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac »

So for my personal sobriety I am responsible to myself and I must remember I can't save the world and I have to keep my mind solely on the literature of AA and those principles I am supposed to represent. I will not slump to wit those with stupid stickers on their foreheads!!!! I instead made it clear I was stepping down on said date and I walked. Principles before personalities is clearly written for a reason :!:
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost »

Hello I am not anonymous.

Service work provides many opportunities to find areas to inventory in ourselves.
Especially if a form of resentment pops up.

To be committed to your commitments is a choice.
Choices have consequences and everything can be a learning experience.

The more we change our perceptions the more we are Graced with learning
and still, however much we learn, acceptance is still the key.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Dont build a resentment over it, thats all I will say. I served as corrections rep for my district, they would cry to fund the big books for inmates but fund trips to convention 3 times a year. Hotel and food. I just exited that post once I completed it. Dont visit the district meetings no more. Still take meetings into correction facility. I buy books from thrift stores.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)