AA satisfaction survey from AA member

For recovery discussion
jakebaa
Forums Newcomer

AA satisfaction survey from AA member

Post by jakebaa » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 pm

Please help me with the following AA satisfaction survey. I am interested in some honest answers thank you please bypass all the conspiracy theories I am a happy member of AA 17 years just interested in some facts thank you.

Welcome to e-AA.

Link Removed per Forum Guidelines

‌• Links will be deleted, exceptions being those with the following domains: aa.org and other country GSOs, e-aa.org, aa-intergroup.org, aagrapevine.org and al-anon.org.

You may wish to initiate a discussion here regarding your key questions.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: AA satisfaction survey from AA member

Post by PaigeB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:15 pm

jakebaa wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 pm
Please help me with the following AA satisfaction survey. I am interested in some honest answers thank you please bypass all the conspiracy theories I am a happy member of AA 17 years just interested in some facts thank you.
Any specific questions would be good.

Otherwise - a quick overview of my story... I am an atheist or, now, a poly theist = God is every thing. It happened because I worked the 12 Steps even though I was certain they would not solve my problems. After a 3 month separation from alcohol my liver enzymes were back to normal (after 40 years of drinking?!?) but I decided to give the Steps a try. I got a sponsor who worked the Steps herself and went through them. As a result I had a spiritual experience that helped me Hear the "God save me from being angry" prayer from the Big Book. I decided to try those prayers. At around 7 years sober, my sponsor did not want to take me through the Steps again so I got a new sponsor from a line that redid the Steps all the time where necessary and once a year over a weekend. My spiritual experience has continued to grow and widen exponentially.

In August 2019 I celebrated 11 years sober. Life is good today.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:07 am

Why are you looking for satisfaction from us? Sounds like another one of those college thesis things. If you want satisfaction I would suggest doing a face to face with other members in an open meeting.

My story doesn't matter to anyone but me and this I know.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Soberguy27
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Soberguy27 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 pm

As an atheist with now 30 years of recovery, I was able to go through the steps with no issues. Luckily for me I had a very loving and caring sponsor who did not push the higher power thing. He said I could use what ever I wanted as a higher power or use nothing at all.

I now use the the steps from *. I find them to be more practical and they make more sense for me.
My spiritual experience came from the people in the rooms and other like minded people. I found out that there were a lot of atheists in the rooms as well as humanists, agnostics and free thinkers. We are everywhere within aa and some of us go to meetings that are meant for us atheists and like minded. There is no God bashing at these meetings, we just don't emphasize deities of any kind but, people are free to speak of their spirituality.
One great revelation for me was that when people spoke, they we sharing THEIR experience strength and hope and though I may not always share their views I find I can always relate in some manor.
Take what you need and leave the rest was a great jem I learned early in recovery and something I use all the time.
For me, I was brought up in a very religious home but as I got to the age of reason it just didn't work for me.
I feel like there is so much meaning in life for me
and not having a deity in my life has not hindered my life one bit. I am happily married, have a son and two grandchildren who all benefit from me being sober.
Today I am still sponsoring many men, some who are religious and others who are not and all are doing fine and staying sober.
Today I concentrate living by the principles. It's a great way to stay in the present and to stay right sized.

* one of the many secular sites easily found with a quick search

‌• In keeping with our Group Conscience links policy, links to other sites are not permitted, and will be deleted.

Exceptions are those with the following domains: aa.org and other country GSOs, e-aa.org, aa-intergroup.org, aagrapevine.org and al-anon.org.

We neither endorse nor oppose other recovery sites.

Please do not refer to named sites or provide links to specific sites or any domains others than those approved above.     

The approved link for online intergroup above provides an extensive alphabetical directory that includes meetings for atheists and agnostics.

Please Note:

Over the years many online meetings have been created and run successfully, there are several platforms used.

AA does not endorse any of these platforms.  

retired baker
Forums Enthusiast

Post by retired baker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:31 am

Bill and Bob were discussing a de-emphasis of God because the subject was driving the drunks away.
Henrieta Seiberling told them " you may as well call yourself the lions club, if you remove God the steps have no Power".