For recovery discussion
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: One Week Sober Today!

Post by PaigeB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:29 pm

Tasman1 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:15 pm
I’ve been sober a week too!

I’ve been in and out of AA for about 18 years, managed to get some months and years of sobriety. The last couple of years I have not been good to me. As predicted, each relapse has brought a new low. I am lucky as still have husband, house and job and have not been in trouble with the law.

It’s nice to be back on this forum, it is a good in between meetings/catch up with sponsor to remind me.

Thanks for still being here =biggrin
Welcome back Tas! (HUG)

We don't shoot our wounded so keep coming back - no matter what you might think others think! You sound alot like me... I know that when I found this Forum and came back every day to read and write in Daily Reflections, my LIFE changed. I was really thinking more about AA and the way my disease acted - throughout the day. That is how I drank, so that is how I work my program. I used to joke that I was the most prayer atheist anyone might meet! LOL, but seriously ~ I guess I became sort of a "contemplative" - like a lonely Poet. hahaha. But it became even more true as the years have gone on. And though I may not be "in prayer" like a monk, I have become quite practiced in meditation and in taking my own inventory. Heaven Knows that I spent most of my years blaming others all day everyday and the switch I have made to contemplating AA is a kinder gentler Me.

I hope you can find what I have found. :)
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:33 pm

January 26th
RIGOROUS HONESTY

Who wishes to be rigorously honest and tolerant?
Who wants to confess his faults to another and make restitution for harm done?
Who cares anything about a Higher Power, let alone meditation and prayer?
Who wants to sacrifice time and energy in trying to carry A.A.'s message to the next sufferer?
No, the average alcoholic, self-centered in the extreme, doesn't care for this prospect — unless he has to do these things in order to stay alive himself.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS. p. 24

I am an alcoholic. If I drink I will die.
My, what power, energy, and emotion this simple statement generates in me! But it's really all I need to know for today.
Am I willing to stay alive today?
Am I willing to stay sober today?
Am I willing to ask for help and am I willing to be a help to another suffering alcoholic today?
Have I discovered the fatal nature of my situation?
What must I do, today, to stay sober?

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services. Inc.
http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=26
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Tasman1
Forums Newcomer

Post by Tasman1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:23 pm

Thanks Paige!

12 days now =biggrin
Took me a while to log back in as I got locked in a circular password nightmare.

All good now, just off to a meeting

Rafita
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Rafita » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 am

Tasman1 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:15 pm
I’ve been sober a week too!

I’ve been in and out of AA for about 18 years, managed to get some months and years of sobriety. The last couple of years I have not been good to me. As predicted, each relapse has brought a new low. I am lucky as still have husband, house and job and have not been in trouble with the law.

It’s nice to be back on this forum, it is a good in between meetings/catch up with sponsor to remind me.

Thanks for still being here =biggrin
Hi there Tasman! That’s amazing, and it’s great that you have a sponsor too! I’ve been around for about the same amount of time as you, and even if it’s difficult to get to a meeting in person it’s so good to know there is always support here. Lots of love to you and God bless!

Rafita
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Rafita » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:26 am

Hi everyone =biggrin
I’m proud to announce that I picked up my one month chip last night at the meeting! 32 days today!!!

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:07 am

Rafita wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:26 am
Hi everyone =biggrin
I’m proud to announce that I picked up my one month chip last night at the meeting! 32 days today!!!

Well done, Rachel.

That's brilliant news.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 am

Yay Rachel!
...a score card reading zero...

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:09 am

Well done, Rachel.

JQuick72
Forums Newcomer

Post by JQuick72 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Day 8 today for me !

I got through my first weekend, which I knew was gonna be the hardest test and am glad to say I’m 8 days sober .

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Welcome back. Hope you are getting all the support to help you in the recovery.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:09 pm

JQuick72 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:40 pm
Day 8 today for me !

I got through my first weekend, which I knew was gonna be the hardest test and am glad to say I’m 8 days sober .
Congrats on getting that behind you! You never have to do it again - unless you have other plans! :mrgreen:

Lavender
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Lavender » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 am

Wow what an achievement. Every day without alcohol for an alcoholic is a good day.
I remember when I was just getting sober. I was scared shirtless and I think it was that fear that I might fail again which kept me going until I worked the steps and made a deeper connection with my Creator.
Good luck and well done. Keep doing what you are doing as it's clearly working.
Nothing can dim the Light that shines within you
Blue Lavender