One Week Sober Today!

For recovery discussion
Rafita
Forums Enthusiast

One Week Sober Today!

Post by Rafita » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:37 pm

It’s official, it’s 7 whole days since I felt the spirit-crushing nausea, paranoia, shame, guilt etc of my last drunk!
I don’t miss that at all :lol: :lol:
However, it is very, very early days and although I haven’t felt the desire to drink since New Year’s Eve I’m being very vigilant and staying well out of risky places. My close friend who has recently bought a retirement apartment by the coast asked me to go there this coming weekend, but he is rather fond of a drink himself and I am just not prepared to risk it. It’s going to be like that for the foreseeable.
I went to my first meeting in 14 years last night. It was the same meeting I went to back in the day and there were a couple of people I remembered and who remembered me. To be honest, it felt like a big clique and I would have thought twice about going back (I am waiting for some surgery on my feet and it was quite difficult to get there) but someone who remembered me drove me home. I opened up a bit (I didn’t really feel comfortable to talk there) and he offered to take me to a different meeting on Tuesday. I’m looking forward to that.
Thank you for listening and for being here for me.
R x

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Re: One Week Sober Today!

Post by Jojo2 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:01 pm

Rafita wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:37 pm
It’s official, it’s 7 whole days since I felt the spirit-crushing nausea, paranoia, shame, guilt etc of my last drunk!

However, it is very, very early days and although I haven’t felt the desire to drink since New Year’s Eve I’m being very vigilant and staying well out of risky places. My close friend who has recently bought a retirement apartment by the coast asked me to go there this coming weekend, but he is rather fond of a drink himself and I am just not prepared to risk it. It’s going to be like that for the foreseeable.

R x
Good thinking, Rachel ! Being wary of drinking occasions is sound advice in early sobriety.
This topic is also covered here in another thread: http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=15
We have to put our sobriety first to make it last.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:46 pm

7 days!!! That is awesome Rachel, I am so glad for you. Keep moving forward.

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:26 am

Well done, Rachel.
7 days is good going.
Get started on the steps, and before you know it, it’ll be 7 years.
😁

Rafita
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Rafita » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:01 am

Nine days under my belt =biggrin
Had a gruesome headache the last two days but that will pass. Lots of water and my daughter recommended green tea for antioxidants etc, I’ll give it a try. She’s going back to university today so that’s going to be tough but I’m grateful that she can go to university at all. Mustn’t forget that.
God bless you everyone!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:52 am

Rafita wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:01 am
Applause! :D :) :P :wink: :shock: :wink: :| :) =surprised =biggrin =wink :? :cry: :roll: :| :mrgreen:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Rafita
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Rafita » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:08 pm

PaigeB wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:52 am
Rafita wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:01 am
Applause! :D :) :P :wink: :shock: :wink: :| :) =surprised =biggrin =wink :? :cry: :roll: :| :mrgreen:
11 days now! :D =biggrin Still feeling rough but been trying to get lots of vitamins and water down my neck
=wink :D

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:10 pm

We need a "like" button! :wink: :mrgreen: :arrow:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:22 am

PaigeB wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:10 pm
We need a "like" button! :wink: :mrgreen: :arrow:
Actually, yes, we do 😁

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:35 am

Congratulations =biggrin
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

Rafita
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Rafita » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:37 am

=biggrin =biggrin =biggrin =biggrin
16 days today! Been attending the online meetings, they are a lifesaver...face to face on Tuesday night!
Lots of love!

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 am

Rafita wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:37 am
=biggrin =biggrin =biggrin =biggrin
16 days today! Been attending the online meetings, they are a lifesaver...face to face on Tuesday night!
Lots of love!
Great news, Rachel.
Big grins indeed.
Look forward to hearing about the face to face meeting.

Rafita
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Rafita » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 am

Good morning everyone!

21 days sober today =biggrin

Been having a few medical problems, speaking with the doc later today. Will catch the lunchtime online meeting too, those really are a lifesaver!

Lots of love to all and wishing everyone a safe and sober weekend!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Rafita wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 am
21 days sober today =biggrin
Ooooohhhhhh Rafita!!! This makes us ALL :D :D :D

21 days is a big landmark. Be sure you Cherish your sober date. Write it in your Big Book. We are with you!

Snow day in Iowa today... and tomorrow - thanks for the well wishes!

Tasman1
Forums Newcomer

Post by Tasman1 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:15 pm

I’ve been sober a week too!

I’ve been in and out of AA for about 18 years, managed to get some months and years of sobriety. The last couple of years I have not been good to me. As predicted, each relapse has brought a new low. I am lucky as still have husband, house and job and have not been in trouble with the law.

It’s nice to be back on this forum, it is a good in between meetings/catch up with sponsor to remind me.

Thanks for still being here =biggrin