Meditations Practical Rewards

For recovery discussion
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Meditations Practical Rewards

Post by PaigeB »

November 10th
A SENSE OF BELONGING

Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of meditation and prayer is the sense of belonging that comes to us.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 105

That's what it is — belonging!
After a session of meditation I knew that the feeling I was experiencing was a sense of belonging because I was so relaxed.
I felt quieter inside, more willing to discard little irritations. I appreciated my sense of humor.
What I also experience in my daily practice is the sheer pleasure of belonging to the creative flow of God's world. How propitious for us that prayer and meditation are written right into our A.A. way of life.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

BA Lodi
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Meditations Practical Rewards

Post by BA Lodi »

When I was sober about 8 or 9 years, I had a meditation experience that scared the hell out of me. So I avoid "traditional" meditation like the plague!!!

But being alone in Nature frequently clears my mind and gives me a quiet, deeper awareness that soothes my spirit. These days, I don't walk in the woods very often. I can just clear my head by looking at my neighbors' houses and landscaping when I take short walks with my walker-on-wheels.

And there is one advantage to the aging process. I can be sitting anywhere and looking at a wall or the view to my dining room, whatever, and suddenly I realize maybe 20 minutes or so has passed by all by itself. That's kind of refreshing, too. =biggrin

Thanks for putting up with me. Barbara D., alcoholic.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

BA Lodi wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 am
When I was sober about 8 or 9 years, I had a meditation experience that scared the hell out of me. So I avoid "traditional" meditation like the plague!!!
GEE! I don't know what happened to you - mine was so spirit filled, that if I had been alone, I would have been afraid. I did in-person guided meditation for years before I got use to that kind of "flying".

Do they have wall/chair yoga there? Maybe a metaphysical shop that has guided meditations? But hey looking at a wall and losing 20 minutes IS ZEN meditation!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

Driving is my Best Meditation time. I know, I know 2 lane roadways only around here.

Other than that, every morning I turn it over. Sometimes in the Shower I hear an answer or direction. But I mostly hear them at Meeting, and after Coffees through other Members shares and views.

I am famous for working "My Will" as what I see would be my HP's will. And as I mention often, if My HP ever called me on the Phone, I would probably hang up.

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost »

There are so many ways to meditate.

I also like combining Prayer and meditation.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

Jackso1n
Forums Newcomer

Post by Jackso1n »

It may help reduce stress, enhance concentration, improve sleep, manage pain, and lower blood pressure. Daily meditation practice is ideal for reaping these rewards.

Neesh R
Forums Newcomer

Need Meditation Education Guidance please....

Post by Neesh R »

Hi friends,

You all have sparked my interest on the successful meditation practices you mention. Can someone please inform me on some simple, yet helpful meditation methods. I am anticipating spending my sobriety in "Blissful ZEN Meditation".

Any insight to some methods, would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all you amazing, inspirational people out there.

Keep shining your brilliant light.

NAMASTE,

N.R.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Below is from Power of now. There are other ideas in the book, you can google the free pdf version.

This technique is very apt for the current situation.
The body loves your attention. It is also a potent form of self healing. Most illnesses creep in when you are not present in the body. If the master is not present in the house, all kinds of shady characters will take up residence there. When you inhabit your body, it will be hard for unwanted guests to enter.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

SO many guided meditations available via the internet these days. Browse and find a voice to lead you in "Loving compassion meditation" or whatever ideas you might have for narrowing search options... male guided or female guided or pagan guided or christian guided meditations.

Chelle
Forums Contributor

Post by Chelle »

I very much liked that Avaneesh. You helped me today. Thanks