New Slogans

For recovery discussion
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

New Slogans

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:03 am

I feel we need to come up with some new slogan to convey that the mind is the main culprit of the alcoholic and that is the core of step one. Physical absolutely. But the book points that the main problem of the alcoholic centers around the mind rather than in the body (craving). Some how majority of the people think its the allergy that makes us drink. It keeps us drunk no doubt but our mind tricks us to take that 1st drink. Thats the insanity.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Re: New Slogans

Post by Theo50 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 am

Easy, just change the name of the program to "Obsessive Thinking Anonymous"

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 am

I can sense sarcasm miles away.

Anyways. I see tragedy in the fellowship where some people are misled when they conclusion that powerlessness is about losing control after we take that first drink and that leads to slogans like 'if you dont take the first drink you wont get drunk' or 'Even if your ass falls off pick up and get to a meeting'..........
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:44 pm

I greatly respect the stance avaneesh takes, often speaking about the fact that so many still preach about just staying away from the first drink. We have one in my area, Mr. AA they call him, because he does much service at the inter group and attends every AA meeting, organizes the Christmas party, very hard AA worker, and been doing this for sixteen years now.

I respect his service and dedication, but we fall out at meetings from time to time. If I speak anything spiritual, he makes comments about ‘we are here to help people stop drinking, not get spiritual, (he is atheist to the core). And when he speaks it’s always -‘stay away from the first drink, and you can’t get drunk.’

I don’t take that lying down, and if I get a turn to speak, I open the book to the end of ‘More About Alcoholism’ and say, ‘they tell us the truth so many times, that here they start the sentence with’ - “Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink... His defense must come from a Higher Power.” And I say that loudly, sometimes followed with words like, ‘telling people to stay away from the first drink is useless, unless you tell them how to do it.’

Sorry I went off the subject of a slogan, but if I had to design one it might be something like -

If you think staying away from the first drink is the solution, you're an idiot.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Theo50 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:44 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 am
I can sense sarcasm miles away.

Anyways. I see tragedy in the fellowship where some people are misled when they conclusion that powerlessness is about losing control after we take that first drink and that leads to slogans like 'if you dont take the first drink you wont get drunk' or 'Even if your ass falls off pick up and get to a meeting'..........

From a sign on our customer service desk, "Sarcasm is just another service we provide here"

I am in full agreement that the main problem of the alcoholic centers around the mind. We must also never forget that not taking that first drink for many of us managed to get us walking through the doors of AA sober. Without alcohol, there would be no AA program =wink

Greywolf
Forums Contributor

Post by Greywolf » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:53 pm

I kind of like the Slogan, "Don't analyze, Utilize."

Does it really matter if someone who stops drinking and recovers believes that alcoholism is an allergy, an obsession issue or a craving issue. Isn't the important matter sobriety and recovery from the disease? Knowledge of alcoholism was historically proven nearly useless as a means of getting sober long before the founding of AA.

Many thousands of AAers stopped drinking and recovered from alcoholism never to drink again before the Big Book was published and widely distributed. In Akron Dr. Bob was actively carrying the message that sobriety was possible for the sick and suffering alcoholic. These alcoholics sobered up, recovered and returned to their home cities and towns to carry that message to more sick and suffering alcoholics.

The BB was written for alcoholics believed to live too far from New York and Akron to make sobriety possible without some sort of written material. Thus Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism came to be. It never was intended to be a text book on how to stay sober or achieve recovery. It for sure was not intended to be "the basis text of AA." It may have been intended to be a basic text for it's original intended readership target but not for AAers getting sober in autonomous groups.

Dr. Bob's admonishment "Bill, For God's sake keep it simple" is applicable even today and IMO if a new slogan were needed this would be a good one.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.

Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Theo50 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm

I would like to see this as a new slogan:
"Be prepared to work hard, this is not a Simple Program"

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 pm

We must also never forget that not taking that first drink for many of us managed to get us walking through the doors of AA sober.
Of course, i think in the pamphlet about AA it talks about it. That initial awakening keeps us going for few days/weeks/months, thats the one which brings us into the fellowship. But, I am talking about jumping into steps without the right understanding may lead them to balk in the middle of the steps. They could get complacent halfway through the amends process. Say if going with the idea that as long as i wont get drunk idea, i could run into restlessness, irritability and other forms of un-manageability the book talks about and that could lead to blind spots. like it did for the car salesman.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:14 pm

If you think staying away from the first drink is the solution, you're an idiot.
Everyone is my teacher. Many times, people that rub me the wrong way, provide me with great barometers with which to check my level of acceptance, tolerance, and compassion. I am grateful to my higher power for the continuing lessons and growth opportunities.

Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Theo50 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 pm
We must also never forget that not taking that first drink for many of us managed to get us walking through the doors of AA sober.
Of course, i think in the pamphlet about AA it talks about it. That initial awakening keeps us going for few days/weeks/months, thats the one which brings us into the fellowship. But, I am talking about jumping into steps without the right understanding may lead them to balk in the middle of the steps. They could get complacent halfway through the amends process. Say if going with the idea that as long as i wont get drunk idea, i could run into restlessness, irritability and other forms of un-manageability the book talks about and that could lead to blind spots. like it did for the car salesman.
I agree, when I stopped drinking, my restlessness, irritability and discontent certainly didn't stop along with it. It has been a lot of work to understand why I am restlessness, irritable and discontent and how to prevent it and or learn to cope with life in other ways that do not include the magic elixir called alcohol.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:38 am

Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree.
The above is from the big book page 92, I thought we could tweak it a bit and add the allergy concept that occurs after the consumption.

The mental twist leads us to a drink and the allergy keeps us drunk (or keeps us drinking).

Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Theo50 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Here's a slogan about the "body allergy":
"Our body's are allergic to alcohol and every time we put it in our bodies, our brain’s reward circuits are flooded with dopamine and it produces feelings of euphoria."
Is it any wonder why we start to crave it? Who doesn't enjoy feelings of euphoria. Non-alcoholics?

I see the same look of euphoria on the AA's outside having that first drag on a cigarette after a meeting.

Greywolf
Forums Contributor

Post by Greywolf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:38 pm

"Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree."
The above is what Bill says on page 92 of the big book, I say we tweak it a bit and add If we don't take a drink, we won't get drunk.

Most alcoholics have a life time of knowing what happens when they start to drink. Alcoholics have been told what we already know by so-called experts -- the doctors, psychiatrist, therapists, clergy, family, etc. -- for years before seeking help. We hear this at meetings and read it on forums frequently.

Hearing another alcoholic say that he was an ex-drunk and found sobriety in a fellowship with other sober alcoholics, gives hope to the sick and suffering alcoholic. Alcoholics have thoughts like "I can take one or 2 drinks and stop" or my favorite, "I can stop anytime I want to. I just don't want to."or similar thoughts that need to be replaced. New ideas such as "It's the first drink that gets me drunk" or "I'm going to call one of my new friends and talk with him before I drink."

And where do newly sober alcoholics hear these thoughts and ideas? It's at meetings when some living proof that AA works says something like "It's the first drink that gets you drunk."
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:55 pm

I kind of like the Slogan, "Don't analyze, Utilize."
I can second this.
I would like to see this as a new slogan:
"Be prepared to work hard, this is not a Simple Program"
I think this depends on the level of "Complete Defeat" one enters with.

Many walk through the Doors Defeated, Some come to realize this as time passes, Shares are heard.

"Scarcely more than Potential Alcoholics" as described in Step 1 in the 12 and 12, might just be the Hardest Way.

An additional 10 years of Literal Hell, helped me come to this conclusion. Grateful to be back.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 am

Most alcoholics have a life time of knowing what happens when they start to drink. Alcoholics have been told what we already know by so-called experts -- the doctors, psychiatrist, therapists, clergy, family, etc. -- for years before seeking help. We hear this at meetings and read it on forums frequently.

And we do that in the fellowship too. Thats the point. While the book says those consequences doesn't keep us from the first drink, yet, we tend to continue propagate the false. Yes its the first drink that gets us drunk. Thats just knowledge. Why do we need the program then?

The mental twists, the blank spots the spiritual malady that leads us into those zones are hardly talked about. What I am trying to say is, we need to highlight the mental factor (that anytime we can go insane around alcohol) and its just not losing control after we take the first drink. Another thing I see is when people jump into the program without the right knowledge they either suffer (at times they want to drink so badly) or some forget they have mental problem and start drifting and run into blank spots or go through this twist and pick up that first drink after years of sobriety.