Drinking Dreams

For recovery discussion
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Drinking Dreams

Post by PaigeB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:49 am

I have a little over 10 years sober and after a strange day where my alarm didn't go off, someone almost backed into me, I cut myself with scissors, broke a nail and probably a few things I forgot that were annoyingly "wrong" - I even remembered to pray a few times and eventually prayed myself to sleep after reciting the How It Works reading and still laying there for over an hour... I had a dream THAT I DRANK while at the Carnival. I drank a few and nothing bad happened... but ew - I knew in the dream I was cheating and no one would know.

I woke up tired and felt like maybe I should call my sponsor or something! I felt a bit like a newcomer again! I texted my 10th Step Buddy and she confirmed that I was ok and on the right track. She told me to turn my thoughts, like it says in the 10th Step, to someone I could help.

THAT day did not exactly go off as planned either LOL. Strange gravity? Seasons changing? Stress for the holiday? Lots of people have drinking dreams and the newcomer often asks about them.

Let's discuss!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Drinking Dreams

Post by PaigeB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:56 am

Oh the Irony of my turning to the Daily Reflection after my "dreams" post! My 10th Step Buddy did laugh a bit at my distress and so did I. HAVING, and being honest with, a Buddy is practice! But Step 11 can bring more still...
KEEPING OPTIMISM AFLOAT

The other Steps can keep most of us sober and somehow functioning. But Step Eleven can keep us growing, . . .

THE LANGUAGE OF THE HEART. p. 240

A sober alcoholic finds it much easier to be optimistic about life. Optimism is the natural result of my finding myself gradually able to make the best, rather than the worst, of each situation.
As my physical sobriety continues, I come out of the fog, gain a clearer perspective and am better able to determine what courses of action to take. As vital as physical sobriety is, I can achieve a greater potential for myself by developing an ever-increasing willingness to avail myself of the guidance and direction of a Higher Power.

My ability to do so comes from my learning and practicing the principles of the A.A. program.

The melding of my physical and spiritual sobriety produces the substance of a more positive life.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:31 am

I woke up tired and felt like maybe I should call my sponsor or something! I felt a bit like a newcomer again!
My first time in, I had a Drinking Dream and I did pick up the 100lb phone and called my Sponsor @ 3:00am.

I told him about the Dream and asked what it meant? He said and I quote, "It means you were sleeping like I was." And hung up.

It's just a dream, yes a dream of a "Complex Thinker" but don't sweat it. Someday, this might make sense, maybe when a Sponsee calls you at 3:00am.

MyNameIsBetsy
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MyNameIsBetsy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi. I have no idea what the dream means, if it means anything at all. Someone told me once that a drinking dream gives us the opportunity to experience the horror of picking up that first drink (in the dream) without actually picking up that first drink. And if we are smart, it scares the crap out of us!
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Post by tomsteve » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:19 am

i dont read too much into my dreams any more. i found it way too complicated and what i think about them is only an opinion. reminds me of a part of dr bobs last message:
There are two or three things that flashed into my mind on which it would be fitting to lay a little emphasis. One is the simplicity of our program. Let's not louse it all up with Freudian complexes and things that are interesting to the scientific mind, but have very little to do with our actual AA work.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 am

tomsteve wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:19 am
a part of dr bobs last message:
Let's not louse it all up with Freudian complexes and things that are interesting to the scientific mind, but have very little to do with our actual AA work.
Oooohhhhh Dr. Bob! Of all people - a doctor. Tells us all to keep it simple. His his words "louse it up" - meaning don't put bugs in it! Ew, but I can totally see one dream can equal 100 bugs in my mind! Difficult to root them all out! :lol: :lol:

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Several things get registered in the subconscious mind. You could have been in a meeting that had lot of war stories being shared. Or some planning going on in your friends circle. I would just be happy it was a dream and move on. Obsessing over it may lead to unwanted outcome since that would be considered as resentment.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Several things get registered in the subconscious mind.
Totally thinking of Carnival with the whole All Hallows Eve - aka Halloween. :P

I did always have a problem with thinking I could get away with it if I left town...

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Post by tomsteve » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:00 am

PaigeB wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 am

Oooohhhhh Dr. Bob! Of all people - a doctor. Tells us all to keep it simple. His his words "louse it up" - meaning don't put bugs in it! Ew, but I can totally see one dream can equal 100 bugs in my mind! Difficult to root them all out! :lol: :lol:
a simple concept. not easy to follow but simple. =biggrin

reminds me of sumthin my sponsor taught me:
i was all buggered up one day and kind of obsessing on something. i went to his house and we were talkin about it. out of the blue he says," quick question- whats you all time favorite meal?"
"gotta be breakfast of cinnamon french toast with real maple syrup, bacon, ham, sausage, and add some toast with real butter."

then went on talkin for a while. about 10 minutes later he says,"so whats on your mind?"
"that dam breakfast!!!"
"thats how much you can control your thoughts but ya havent let that control your actions."