One day at a time

For recovery discussion
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Re: One day at a time

Post by D'oh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:26 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:24 am

Is there any reference to praying for sobriety here? There are specific things the authors asks is to pray for like direct our thinking especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest, or self-seeking motives.
Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for after all God gave us brains to use.
That is pretty much a Prayer, (of our own making). Then it continues with
We usually conclude the period of meditation with a prayer that we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be, that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems.
More Prayer
If circumstances warrant, we ask our wives or friends to join us in morning meditation. If we belong to a religious denomination which requires a definite morning devotion, we attend to that also. If not members of religious bodies, we sometimes select and memorize a few set prayers which emphasize the principles we have been discussing.

And more Prayer.
[/quote]
It is not about Not Drinking by Step 11, it is about "Life of Sobriety", a Promise from the 10th step.
We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:41 am

That is pretty much a Prayer, (of our own making). Then it continues with
They suggest that while we are in the 3rd step as long as it makes sense to you. Here are you adding to the context and distorting the whole message. But I am glad you accepted its your own and not from the book. Hope you tell the people you work with too, otherwise they are going to think, its written in the book. Already there is lot of wrong idea about powerlessness in the fellowship.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 am

But it is in the Book. The Book isn't 1 paragraph or sentence at a time. The instructions of "On Awakening" starts on page 86, and ends on page 88.

It does "Suggest" Prayer and Meditation, possibly with Family and Friends. Morning Devotion (if Members of certain Religious Bodies).

By Step 11, Our only job is to Grow in Understanding, of what His Will is for Us. Reading 86-88 only requires an Open Mind and to try to keep Our Wills out of the way.

I was advised by my Sponsor, to read page 83-86 at night, starting with "Yes there is a long period of Reconstruction ahead." Then 86-88 in the Morning. I chose my Sponsor because he had what I was looking for in Life.

Anyone that asks me to Sponsor them, I suggest them to do the same. For the reasoning of "That's how I got what it is that may have attracted them to me. It is not of my Own Doings, just what I was told to do to get where I am.

You don't have to feel like you need to Co Sponsor, someone else is looking after that.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 am

You don't have to feel like you need to Co Sponsor, someone else is looking after that.
I dont. You post few it bits like "Upon awakening" and "On Retiring" and sound really convincing.

In the working of the 3rd step they lay out what is the main problem: "Selfishness and self-centeredness" and rest of the steps is about dissolving those. Nowhere in the rest of the book they ask us to pray for sobriety.

They do talk about praying for those who still have the alcoholic mind.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:43 am

wrote:I dont. You post few it bits like "Upon awakening" and "On Retiring" and sound really convincing.

In the working of the 3rd step they lay out what is the main problem: "Selfishness and self-centeredness" and rest of the steps is about dissolving those. Nowhere in the rest of the book they ask us to pray for sobriety.

They do talk about praying for those who still have the alcoholic mind.
The 3rd Step, is no where near the 11th Step.

I am talking about "11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

It is not about getting Sober, by the 11th Step, it is about Living in Sobriety.

I once heard a Speaker "Marty J" he said "You can take these Steps any way you wish, but chances are if you try to jump from the 2nd to the 12th, you Will rip the crotch out of your pants."

My Sponsor had me reading 83-88 Daily when I was still at Stepp 2 or 3, I did not understand Why? But the Promises contained in the Reading helped me Work towards the 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on.

I do understand Word Communication, lacks a lot (25% effective) vs F2F with Body and Tones, but the 11th Step is all about A HP's will, not Our will. The 3rd Step is 1/2 about Our will, and moving on without it.
[/quote]

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:44 am

My Sponsor had me reading 83-88 Daily when I was still at Stepp 2 or 3, I did not understand Why? But the Promises contained in the Reading helped me Work towards the 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on

i am glad yours didn't fall off. you jump into others without understanding the 1st, this is the confusion we land in.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:17 am

i am glad yours didn't fall off. you jump into others without understanding the 1st, this is the confusion we land in.
\

Ok, now I am Intrigued, Please explain "Jump into others" And "What fell off" and Understanding the 1st" when the Conversation is about 1 day at a time.

1 day at a time which lead to "Daily Reprieve" "Daily Maintenance" of the 11th Step, and where this all started with
These are techniques one may adopt until they work the steps. I think the question is do we want to live like this rest of our life? People with years under their belt share that they do it today, it makes the program not attractive.
Asking for Sobriety everyday?

Years of Sobriety, or Hours. My belief is that "I" don't own my Sobriety, it is "Gifted" to me. I definitely could not be Here Today, without outside Help.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am

Years of Sobriety, or Hours. My belief is that "I" don't own my Sobriety, it is "Gifted" to me. I definitely could not be Here Today, without outside Help.
I dont want to affect/impact your belief. What I am concerned is you are very convincing that the big book requests us to pray for sobriety by throwing those snippets from 10 and 11. Thats what I am trying to address.

The initial realization that we can't handle alcohol or other substance is a gift or grace as some people label it. Then we come into the rooms understand the grave nature of the disease and understand that the main cause of our trouble is selfishness and self-centeredness. Again the willing that arise within us, to try this program is a gift/grace (Many dont even stick around to try, they get sucked into abyss). We then generate the initial inventory to figure out the areas we are selfish and where we are self-centered. The rest of the steps is all about fixing those areas. As part of the deal sobriety is a by product as long as we keep working on us. I dont have to pray for sobriety but I am grateful for sobriety for that i am eternally grateful for the program and the fellowship.
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davep54
Forums Enthusiast

Post by davep54 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 am

I don't think I've ever prayed for sobriety. I've certainly used the Serenity prayer, and either the 3rd, 7th and 11th Step prayers on a daily basis.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 am

davep54 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:57 am
I don't think I've ever prayed for sobriety. I've certainly used the Serenity prayer, and either the 3rd, 7th and 11th Step prayers on a daily basis.
Exactly! This sets us up for a day of thinking about recovery and not problems. We begin to have different responses to life.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

MyNameIsBetsy
Forums Enthusiast

Post by MyNameIsBetsy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Just me and my own experience . . . I pray every day for another day sober and the willingness to do my part. It's my daily request, and it has been granted graciously every single day for the past 16 years.
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

davep54
Forums Enthusiast

Post by davep54 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:51 pm

MyNameIsBetsy
Just me and my own experience . . . I pray every day for another day sober and the willingness to do my part. It's my daily request, and it has been granted graciously every single day for the past 16 years.

Thanks for that. I recovered after Step 9; if I think of alcohol I recoil from it as from a hot flame. I maintain my recovery by doing Steps 10-12 and maintaining a fit spiritual condition. After all the full title of the BB is "Alcoholics Anonymous: The story of how many men and women have recovered from alcohol". Alcohol hasn't been a problem for me for 31 years; living sure has.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm

I dont want to affect/impact your belief. What I am concerned is you are very convincing that the big book requests us to pray for sobriety by throwing those snippets from 10 and 11. Thats what I am trying to address.
The Big Book is meant to be "Suggestive Only" as is a Sponsor's directions, Suggestive Only, but to get what they have, which is why you asked them to be a Sponsor in the first place, one should follow their Directions of how they got there.

There are 103 Musts in the Big Book, One does not have to do all of them to obtain Sobriety, the Book is just Suggestive. But for me, just like Ikea Directions, If I want it to look like the picture on the Box and last a long time, I suggest following the directions to the best of your ability.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:16 am

The Big Book is meant to be "Suggestive Only" as is a Sponsor's directions, Suggestive Only, but to get what they have, which is why you asked them to be a Sponsor in the first place, one should follow their Directions of how they got there.

There are 103 Musts in the Big Book, One does not have to do all of them to obtain Sobriety, the Book is just Suggestive. But for me, just like Ikea Directions, If I want it to look like the picture on the Box and last a long time, I suggest following the directions to the best of your ability.
I get all the above. Somehow I feel, you are suggesting, we are not doing something that the big book is suggesting. Thats what I am puzzled.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:10 pm

I get all the above. Somehow I feel, you are suggesting, we are not doing something that the big book is suggesting. Thats what I am puzzled.
I think that Asking for Sobriety, is not necessarily a Prayer. The BB does say to use and memorize a Few set Prayers, the only ones that I know are the 3rd, 7th and 11th Step Prayer, and the Lords, and possibly "The Difference" which might be a Poem or Prayer.

Asking for Sobriety might be No More than a reminder, that I have a choice, but that I cannot do it alone, that I am do not have control, that it (sobriety) is a Gift.

Google the Poem "The Difference" (nonapproved literature) it kind of describes what I am saying. Basically "Of myself I am nothing"