One day at a time

For recovery discussion
davep54
Forums Enthusiast

One day at a time

Post by davep54 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:46 pm

Is the above term Conference approved? I can't find it in the BB. I prefer the day time compartments bit in Steps 10 and 11 e.g. on awakening, throughout the day, when retiring at night etc.

Another peeve is when folk say "hand it over". The correct term is "turn it over", big difference.

Call me a fundamentalist but after 31 years of continuous sobriety I reckon I'm entitled to my opinion.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Re: One day at a time

Post by D'oh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Of myself, I am nothing.

I am Sober Today because I asked for my Sobriety on Awakening. Just my Gratitude for this Gift.

davep54
Forums Enthusiast

Post by davep54 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:34 am

D'oh, too cosmic for me

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:49 am

Is the above term Conference approved?

Are you talking about the "One day at a time" phrase?

Its in the AA No.3 story where Bill and Bob show us how to approach a new-comer.

The next question they asked was, "You can quit twenty-four hours, can't you?" I said, "Sure, yes, anybody can do that, for twenty-four hours." They said, "That's what we're talking about. Just twenty-four hours at a time." That sure did take a load off of my mind. Every time I'd start thinking about drinking, I would think of the long, dry years ahead without having a drink; but this idea of twenty-four hours, that it was up to me from then on, was a lot of help.

But they do tell the guy this has to be done for life. Probably this got, as time progressed, it became a staying sober one day at a time. Various other programs also use this phrase. Even normies use this phrase at my office when they are going through difficult phase.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:49 am

excerpt from http://csobrisbane.org/wp-content/uploa ... _is_AA.pdf
We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink.
So in a round about way, yes it can be found in conference approved literature. I am neither pro nor con on the slogan "One Day at a Time" (or any slogans for that matter) because slogans are mere snippets and my recovery depends upon a wider foundation and action.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:38 am

My Favourite paragraph of my second Favourite Story of the 4th Edition. Gutter Bravado page 509.
I walked out of there on a sunny afternoon. I intended to go to a meeting that night, but I also had ten
dollars in my pocket and a reason to celebrate. I was
sober for twenty-two days, and I was feeling pretty
good about myself. Soon my old instincts began to
take over. Sunny day. Ten bucks. Celebration. Feeling
good. Before I knew it, I was walking into the back
door of one of my old watering holes. The smell of alcohol hit me when I entered, and my mouth watered.
I sat down at the bar. I ordered my usual ginger
wash. Couldn’t I make it just one day without drinking? At this last question I realized that yes, since I
put it that way, I probably could make it just one day
without drinking. Besides, I was going to a meeting
that night and who knows, they might have breathalyzers there. I put down my dollar, got off that stool,
and walked back out the door. After all, I could drink
tomorrow if I wanted to—and that’s just what I
planned to do.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 am

These are techniques one may adopt until they work the steps. I think the question is do we want to live like this rest of our life? People with years under their belt share that they do it today, it makes the program not attractive.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:56 am

People with years under their belt share that they do it today, it makes the program not attractive.
Well said, that’s the problem right there, and why the misuse of that phrase has made it a pet peeve of mine as well.

We should always use these things in reference to what we do before the steps kick in, not doing that, and saying something like, ‘I am twenty years sober, one day at a time,’ makes it sound like you struggled every day.

The other day someone was saying here, that when a person relapses, it’s because they didn’t ask God to keep them sober for that day. Again, how attractive does that look to some newcomer reading here, or going to their first meeting and hearing that. If your practice is, after years of sobriety, still asking for a daily reprieve, OK for you, nobody can tell you what to do. But it doesn't give you the right, to have some newcomer thinking that’s what AA is about, because it certainly is not.

Spiritual fitness, like physical fitness, surely has a ‘shelf life.’ If I stop exercising today, my physical fitness will reduce day by day, if I stop my spiritual practice today, same deal. As each day passes I will grow increasingly discontented, my family and friends will probably notice it in my mood, there will be many signs that I am playing with fire and doing the wrong thing, and probably if I continue like that a drink will be in my hand one day soon. But it won’t be the first day like some folks say, I wouldn’t want a weak program like that, and the AA program is anything but weak.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

davep54
Forums Enthusiast

Post by davep54 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:55 pm

What's this stuff about techniques to use before taking the steps, I've never heard that before. It must be an American thing. Here in Australia we recommend individuals start on the steps asap. Worked for Dr Bob.

davep54
Forums Enthusiast

Post by davep54 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Well said Brock

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Here there are lot of conditioned meetings influenced by treatment center and other dilution of message and depending on the sponsor it could be quite sometime before people are convinced that they need the 12 steps.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:42 pm

The other day someone was saying here, that when a person relapses, it’s because they didn’t ask God to keep them sober for that day. Again, how attractive does that look to some newcomer reading here, or going to their first meeting and hearing that. If your practice is, after years of sobriety, still asking for a daily reprieve, OK for you, nobody can tell you what to do. But it doesn't give you the right, to have some newcomer thinking that’s what AA is about, because it certainly is not.

Spiritual fitness, like physical fitness, surely has a ‘shelf life.’ If I stop exercising today, my physical fitness will reduce day by day, if I stop my spiritual practice today, same deal. As each day passes I will grow increasingly discontented, my family and friends will probably notice it in my mood, there will be many signs that I am playing with fire and doing the wrong thing, and probably if I continue like that a drink will be in my hand one day soon. But it won’t be the first day like some folks say, I wouldn’t want a weak program like that, and the AA program is anything but weak.
That was most likely me. And as I said, I ask everyday for the Gift of Sobriety. If I don't ask, I most likely won't slip that day, but everyday I don't ask, is 1 day closer to a slip.

I have been there and did that. The Big Book does say "We are not Cured of Alcoholism" Page 86, has a list of things to do Every Night, and 86-88 Every Morning. Even after doing the Steps. It is apart of the Steps. It is not a Tesday and Friday thing, it states "When we retire at night." and "On awakening".

It also warns us about "Easier Softer Ways" in the 3rd Step.

davep54
Forums Enthusiast

Post by davep54 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Another related thingy to ODAAT is the celebration of AA birthdays; if an individual does ODAAT how can he/she have a sobriety birthday? I could throw Founders Day into the mix but I wont. None of it makes common sense and the program of recovery is very sensible.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 pm

Hey Doh,
Below is your response from "addicts in AA topic".
And as the Big Book describes "Alcohol was but a Symptom, we have to get down to the causes" (The ism's)
So if alcohol is but a symptom and we have to get down to the causes, what do you think the AA program would suggest? Help us overcome the causes right?

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 pm

Hey Doh,
Below is your response from "addicts in AA topic".

And as the Big Book describes "Alcohol was but a Symptom, we have to get down to the causes" (The ism's)
So if alcohol is but a symptom and we have to get down to the causes, what do you think the AA program would suggest? Help us overcome the causes right?
Yes, it is about the "Why" I drank. The "Why" I could not deal with Life on Life's Terms. I have to live Life on Life's Terms everyday, even Sober Days.

Selfishness and Self Centeredness is the Root of Our problem, driven by hundreds of forms of Fear. I totally believe, that if there were some Miracle meds, acupuncture or what ever, that wold make me Never take another Drink/Drug (escape) or such. But there was No Fellowship, I would be Dead or Locked Up within a Year. It's about Accepting Life on Life's terms, and constantly being aware of What his will is for me in that instance.