The great obsession of every abnormal drinker

For recovery discussion
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: The great obsession of every abnormal drinker

Post by PaigeB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:32 am

I imagine most if not all the other patrons are consuming alcohol at the bar as well.
Oooops!

I had to be careful about using my imagination for a bit... Especially when I am imagining ANYTHING about ALCOHOL. I do not think like normal people when it comes to the drink. Taking your image of all the happy drinkers there on Thursday night...
* Several are there that are going to be late & smelling of booze for family time tonight & are confused.
* There has to be a few people who said they'd have just one and now ordering #4, they are banging their fist on the bar asking how they could have screwed up again.
* Probably LOTS of people who are not drinking at all for medical reasons or as the DD for the night.
* Thursday night football ~ it might even be ME sitting there!
* And people like you, who you don't know yet, that are thinking they are the only one not drinking. Pray for THAT one ok?

We laugh a lot at things that normal people find tragic. We obsess over who left a half a glassful on the counter. We have drinking dreams that disturb us greatly that most people would never do more than shake their head at. It simply CANNOT STATISTICALLY be possible that you are the only one who is NOT drinking at a sports bar on Thursday night. :mrgreen:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 am

Curious indeed for an atheist, but I was willing to continue on with the process.
I was curious about what the people who call themselves to be part of secular AA do. I was checking if they are staying sober without the 12 step? Apart from the same misunderstanding around the first step, they too do work the steps but they have this strong aversion to this word GOD and they even came up with the 12 step without it. While the big book talks about not having prejudice and having their own conception of higher power, reality deep down within, they simply can't accept the book. One article loves the Living Sober book and they are so glad that the Steps has been relegated to chapter 30 instead of being in the forefront. Some dont even like the terms spiritual, while the appendix classifies it as a "attitude shift".

I am so glad that my pre-conditioned ideas didn't deter me from taking a deep dive like you Paige and have an attitude shift toward alcohol, life...
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:08 pm

PaigeB wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:53 pm

IF I COULD DRINK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON I WOULD BE DRUNK ALL DAY LONG!
HAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAAHA :mrgreen:
NORMALLY DRUNK ALL DAY LONG!! though.

It is so true, that our Brains are wired differently. That we have to imagine what a "Norm" is.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:13 am

avaneesh912 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 am
Curious indeed for an atheist, but I was willing to continue on with the process.
strong aversion to this word (ad infinitum) = still to much ego... maybe more drinking to do.
GOD - Good Orderly Direction/Group of Drunks
reality deep down within YES YES YES!!!
(and) the appendix classifies it as a "attitude shift". More YES!
I am so glad that my pre-conditioned ideas didn't deter me from taking a deep dive like you Paige and have an attitude shift toward alcohol, life...
First my Ego had to be complete and totally smashed. Alcohool did that but the women in AA drove it home. I didn't believe 'bad ego' for anything other than alcohol until I got a little humility by sticking around a bit. I had to KNOW "pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization" (PAID) and have a sponsor and some good women in my life who said "your ego" everytime I had a problem. They drove home the idea that I had to DO something different like scrub walls rather than drink. They told me I would indeed be ok if I just held on, worked the Steps... the Step would give me a different response to life. It did not take long for me to see results. Like - scrub walls until 2 am and I didn't drink that day... sore arms the next day + reminded me of my positive experience & my family saw clean walls! :mrgreen:

They assured me that one day I would react sanely and normally (hahaha). It started to work and I started to get Faith in the Program.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:14 am

D'oh wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:08 pm

NORMALLY DRUNK ALL DAY LONG!! though.

It is so true, that our Brains are wired differently. That we have to imagine what a "Norm" is.
Though :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :D :o :mrgreen: :D =biggrin :arrow:

rjr34036
Forums Enthusiast

Post by rjr34036 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Hi! I’m ReAnne, alcoholic, and new to this site! You know, I don’t know if I ever wanted to drink like other people. I assumed that everyone was like me, living fraudulently and miserable. I couldn’t believe that people actually woke up happy everyday, I just figured they found a way to look better and happier in their misery. I had no idea what real peace, happiness, serenity or joy was, and didn’t know how people lived to be 70 or 80 if their reality was like mine (and I assumed it was). I figured as time went on I’d too figure out how to do the life thing like everyone else on earth obviously had LOL. So when I got here, and to my astonishment, I learned that I was living in the dark after I had my first profound spiritual experience that gave me a bit of purpose (this happened before I got to AA, but is what led me here). Anyway, it never occurred to me that I may be different. I just thought I wasn’t doing it right. I was so happy to arrive to AA and be given answers to so many questions I had. I graduated college and was able to achieve so much, but why the heck couldn’t I stop doing something as simple as drinking?!
ReAnneR

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:10 pm

rjr34036 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:55 pm
Hi! I’m ReAnne, alcoholic, and new to this site! You know, I don’t know if I ever wanted to drink like other people. I assumed that everyone was like me, living fraudulently and miserable. I couldn’t believe that people actually woke up happy everyday, I just figured they found a way to look better and happier in their misery. I had no idea what real peace, happiness, serenity or joy was, and didn’t know how people lived to be 70 or 80 if their reality was like mine (and I assumed it was). I figured as time went on I’d too figure out how to do the life thing like everyone else on earth obviously had LOL. So when I got here, and to my astonishment, I learned that I was living in the dark after I had my first profound spiritual experience that gave me a bit of purpose (this happened before I got to AA, but is what led me here). Anyway, it never occurred to me that I may be different. I just thought I wasn’t doing it right. I was so happy to arrive to AA and be given answers to so many questions I had. I graduated college and was able to achieve so much, but why the heck couldn’t I stop doing something as simple as drinking?!
I love this! So glad you are here!!! My first "lights on" experience happened when I was still drinking - but it drove me to AA and I haven't had a drink since August 1. 2009!