Addicts in AA meetings?

For recovery discussion
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Addicts in AA meetings?

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:46 am

I have heard you mention that before & don't know how to help you change that where you are.

I dont think we can do anything. There are so many treatment centers around here who dump all forms of people they treat. it could be drug addicts, alcoholics, it doesn't matter. Like Chris R talks about they have on big van to transport. I am sure they do the same with CA/NA meetings, take thorough bred alcoholics along with addicts and mess up their meetings too.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:15 am

avaneesh912 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:46 am
I have heard you mention that before & don't know how to help you change that where you are.

I dont think we can do anything. There are so many treatment centers around here who dump all forms of people they treat. it could be drug addicts, alcoholics, it doesn't matter. Like Chris R talks about they have on big van to transport. I am sure they do the same with CA/NA meetings, take thorough bred alcoholics along with addicts and mess up their meetings too.
Went to a meeting like that last night! went from 8 people to 28/39 people in no time. Most of them didn't share. The treatment centers in our city KNOW what meeting they are allowed at. YES - meeting have turned away addicts at our Closed meetings. They either all left or some had to sit in the van. Last night was an Open Meeting and when they see the van they rush to make more coffee. We gave out a 30 day chip and a 90 day chip. I read from page 42-43 of the Big Book. We finished minutes short of an hour.

It would be a Group Conscience thing to vote on and maybe CALL the treatment center and explain to them Closed vs Open meetings. Maybe do one or all of the ideas below... (We do them all here.)
If a Group of Drunks wants to come to your Closed meeting maybe someone can pick them up.
Put a sign on the door (or car door) clarifying it is a Closed, AA meeting - for alcoholics only.
You could start an Open meeting. Or a Speaker meeting.
Get the Area's Treatment Committee to do a clarifying message workshop for treatment center counselors.
Take a weekly Open meeting to them.

What has been tried there? I want to know what didn't work! Just in case! :wink:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:03 pm

I have a way of writing that might seem a little aggressive, but really I sympathize with the plight of addicts who can’t find a meeting of NA, and therefore choose AA, or simply find we have better meetings.

It’s all well and good to say things like ‘check tradition 3,’ and ‘what would the master do,’ the sort of answers you get if you ask GSO for advise, but I believe it comes down to how we interpret those ideas.

While I would never embarrass a drug addict at any meeting, the tradition says they must have ‘a desire to stop drinking,’ not a desire to stop taking drugs. The third tradition of NA says - “The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using.” I think tradition one, ‘our common welfare comes first,’ outweighs any interpretation of tradition three, which could make it permissible for us to accept addicts without concern.

As for asking the master what we might do, a good man who asked that question, regarding some fellows at the temple who didn’t belong there, got advise to apply a size twelve Jesus sandal to their backsides. As I say, it comes down to interpretation.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Gentle Brock, my favorite Thumper, says,
I have a way of writing that might seem a little aggressive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Went to a meeting like that last night! went from 8 people to 28/39 people in no time.
Now I will rant. I used to go to a weekly step study which had about 10-15 regular attendees. Then a treatment center started bringing 2 vans, 20 or more people to that meeting. Well, they all wanted to talk too. But they hadn't worked the steps. And from all over the US, so mostly drug addicts sent away by someone. So I stopped going to that meeting. It ruined it.
...a score card reading zero...

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Now I will rant. I used to go to a weekly step study which had about 10-15 regular attendees. Then a treatment center started bringing 2 vans, 20 or more people to that meeting. Well, they all wanted to talk too. But they hadn't worked the steps. And from all over the US, so mostly drug addicts sent away by someone. So I stopped going to that meeting. It ruined it.
Tradition 3 and 5 in Action

Good and Different, "Everything happens for a Reason."

1 simple check of the 3rd Tradition

•When someone turns up at AA needing information or help (even if he can’t ask for it aloud), does it really matter to me what he does for a living? Where he lives? What his domestic arrangements are? Whether he had been to AA before? What his other problems are?

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:47 am

Spirit Flower wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:09 pm
Went to a meeting like that last night! went from 8 people to 28/39 people in no time.
Others felt the same way you did and started an "Open" Speaker only meeting. It thrives!
Some stayed and had to build up the "Open" Discussion meeting. Most of the extra 20 don't share... 1 took a sobriety chip for 30 days - a regular member took a 90 day sobriety chip. This was an important act for them as they will get out at about 90 days. The gal who drives the van is an alkie - decades in AA. She had a one-on-one chat with the meeting Secretary about calling her cell ahead of time so we can make enough coffee. This meeting is doing well too! Heavy on folks who are 12 Steppers & want to sponsor newcomers.

I once temp sponsored a gal who thought she was a drug addict until she got out of treatment and found she was an alcoholic because she tried the "drink experiment." I mean she thought she could drink and ended up sick all over again and it didn't take along before she was doing both booze and drugs. I took her to AA.

I think I could have been a pill popper if booze wasn't readily available to me. I hated pot, but the idea of heroine always sounded appealing. I never ran into anyone who had any. So I guess I may never know. OR I might need those NA folks if my sisters at the AA home group suggest I go elsewhere.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Post by Jojo2 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:07 am

WHAT WE KNOW BEST

"Shoemaker, stick to thy last!" . . . better do one thing supremely well than many badly.
That is the central theme of this Tradition [Five].
Around it our Society gathers in unity.
The very life of our Fellowship requires the preservation of this principle.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 150

The survival of A.A. depends upon unity.
What would happen if a group decided to become an employment agency, a treatment center or a social service agency?
Too much specialization leads to no specialization, to frittering of efforts and, finally, to decline.
I have the qualifications to share my sufferings and my way of recovery with the newcomer.
Conformity to A.A.'s primary purpose ensures the safety of the wonderful gift of sobriety, so my responsibility is enormous.
The life of millions of alcoholics is closely tied to my competence in "carrying the message to the still-suffering alcoholic".

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:09 am

Group conscience plays a big part in the stand. Its all about what the mindset of those participants in the business meetings. If you have more dual addictive people on those business meetings, they are inclined to favor allowing addicts in. Remember the fundamental trait of the alcoholic/addict: Selfishnesss and self-centeredness. Especially when it comes to blood, they want their spouse, kids to be part of their own group irrespective of what the affliction is. I have seen that happen kids having gambling issues being brought into AA meetings because the father/mother is part of AA. Thats how every good thing turns bad.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Thats how every good thing turns bad.
That's a pretty Broad statement.

All I know is "What it was like" "What happened" And "What it is like Now" Before, during and after Alcohol entered my life. If the Spiritual way of Life is Not a Theory, I have to be open to everything around me. Good and Bad, might be "Just what I need, or someone else."

2zwudz
Forums Newcomer

Post by 2zwudz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Well I walked out of the meeting tonight. Girl (newcomer) came in tonight and I started small talk with her. I said to her “alcohol is a sumbitch isn’t it. She said I’m not alcoholic I’m a addict. I explained to her these are closed meetings for alcoholics and showed her the blue card. Then a elder female told her to stay that it’s all the same. This is the same lady that is bringing in addicts in and sponsoring them. This woman has thirty years sober 😳 . I then walked out. I’m going to call for a group conscience meeting next week and get the answer. If they say addicts can be in AA meetings I’m not going back.

Db1105
Forums Contributor

Post by Db1105 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:15 am

I've been hearing this discussion for over forty years, along with how AA is not the way it used to be, Etc., etc.. All I know was when I first showed up to AA, I was one of those addicts. Told I was not welcomed, I didn't belong, go to NA.

Of course I was lying out my ass. Drinking was my problem and I was not ready to admit that. I was there because I was court ordered, not to mention that Denial thing. I thank God that someone pulled me aside, told me I was welcome and keep going to meetings. Even suggesting a young peoples meeting to attend. I didn't know this person had previously seen me showing up to court drunk.

As far as someone showing up to a closed meeting with a child. I'm just grateful that I've never have been in that situation. Thankfully, through recovering through The Twelve Steps, I leave all those situations to my Higher Power.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:28 am

Db1105 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:15 am
I've been hearing this discussion for over forty years, along with how AA is not the way it used to be, Etc., etc.. Thankfully, through recovering through The Twelve Steps, I leave all those situations to my Higher Power.
I agree. I cannot hope to ever be qualified to judge the person who walks through those doors. I took pills but didn't consider myself a pill popper. I was however, looking for ANY reason to walk out and never come back. I thought my hill to die on would be that I was an atheist. They didn't judge me for that! In fact I insisted a few times that they judge that and toss me right out! They laughed and told me to keep coming back!

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Post by tomsteve » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:32 pm

that addict could also be an alcoholic but doesnt realize it yet. theres many cross addicted in AA.

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:03 pm

tomsteve wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:32 pm
that addict could also be an alcoholic but doesnt realize it yet. theres many cross addicted in AA.
I have seen this many times. Come in claiming an "Addict" only later to state "I am an Alcoholic/Addict" Switched to Alcohol when their Drug of Choice wasn't available.

And as the Big Book describes "Alcohol was but a Symptom, we have to get down to the causes" (The ism's)