Questions heard at meetings.

For recovery discussion
Brock
Trusted Servant

Questions heard at meetings.

Post by Brock » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:30 am

My sponsor got sober at a treatment center, and uses some Hazelden guides in his sponsorship. These are working for me, but I worry, because I sometimes hear people insisting at meetings, that the Big Book way is the only way.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Questions heard at meetings.

Post by ebear » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:18 am

As I understand it, AA does not endorse non-AA materials and practices. For that reason, links to such resources are not permitted on this site, and people in meetings are encouraged to focus on the Big Book and other approved AA literature. These things are the core of AA and have worked for countless alcoholics in recovery.

Of course, members have found additional outside help in studies of mindfulness, meditation, spiritual writings, and other guides, and they share these informally as part of their own journeys. They are just careful to distinguish these from the AA program, which is fully encompassed by the AA literature and traditions.
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:56 am

Here is what I love about AA and the Big Book.

{It is suggestive. Also it tries not to be prejudicial of any outside help.
It is a simple suggestive program.}

So anyone who says the BB is the only way should probably
show where the BB says that.
I understand that the only requirement is the desire to stop drinking.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:57 am

12&12 Tradition Five, p.151
Tradition 5: "Each group has but one primary purpose: to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers."
The only thing that matters is that he is an alcoholic who has found a key to sobriety.
Humbly I suggest that AA has A KEY - not the Key. We are to see where the religious are right about things. I was told to look for the similarities and not the differences.

This is a disease of perceptions for me and it was important that I try to NOT fix a broken tool with a broken tool - aka my brain. On BB page 85 - Step 10, when my brain becomes one of many tools... "It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will."

In the beginnings of sobriety it is best to keep it simple. THE STEPS are the way to long term sobriety.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 pm

My sponsor also got sober at Hazelden and she had me read the pamphlets along with the BB and 12x12.
...a score card reading zero...

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 am

There is a good and valid reason AA tends to ask us to stick to approved literature, but in my opinion some groups take this too far, I have seen a newcomer embarrassed after reading a short passage from another source, and firmly rebuffed with a “you can’t do that here!”

The danger lies in if a group like this or any other, decided to allow certain exceptions, members will propose others, probably saying ‘if you allowed X you can’t turn down my request for Y.’ But in the case of a one on one, like what the member in the original post was asking, I see no reason for a sponsor not to use anything they feel is useful, just like Spirit Flower’s sponsor did.

We have had suggestions here that we include the Hazelden 24hrs a day readings, along with our own Daily Reflection, I have mentioned being in favor but it’s never been put to a vote, maybe one of these days it will be.

I believe those who are against such things, should keep in mind the language most often used to ill speak AA, the stupid accusation of it being a ‘cult.’ One thing that certainly displays cultist behavior, is the idea of read this and only this.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

BA Lodi
Forums Enthusiast

Post by BA Lodi » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:33 pm

I was an atheist when I got here and, I am grateful that religious texts were not used as reference materials within the framework of an AA meeting. I am equally grateful that every member decides which supporting materials are used outside the meeting framework to supplement their understanding of recovery. Hazleton had too many religious overtones for me. For the same reason, I prefer the 12 & 12 to the Big Book; but I know the Big Book is the AA Text and I accept that.

A long time ago, I arrived late to a meeting and was about to have a conniption when I realized the topic seemed to be the 8 (?) levels of hypnotism!!! A new man left the meeting, and I was unable to catch him in the parking lot. I was the only Home Group member there, and I raised Cain with the chairperson and the folks in that meeting.

At one time, I would have enjoyed a philosophical discussion of various paths to spiritual growth. But I firmly believe that meetings should be built around official AA literature and suggestions. In the interest of KISS, I also resisted all self-help books, etcetera.

What I do on my own time can not be controlled by the AA Group, of course. I remember when I'd be so shocked to see an AA person driving a car or in the grocery store or department store! Alcoholics are REAL...they exist outside the meeting rooms and parking lots!!! :lol:

Thanks for listening. Barbara D, alcoholic

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:05 am

My sponsor got sober at a treatment center, and uses some Hazelden guides in his sponsorship. These are working for me, but I worry, because I sometimes hear people insisting at meetings, that the Big Book way is the only way.
I have no idea what the these guides entail. After being in the rooms for a while, even if one had used the big book, he/she could come out with a different understanding what powerlessness and unmanageability mean to them. I would say, if the individual wants to re-work the steps using the big book, nobody is stopping them. Its in the pursuit of knowing the truth, that will keep the person lit.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

beginningagain7
Trusted Servant

Post by beginningagain7 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Yes it is true that here in e-aa we want only AA approved material to be used. Mainly because this is a AA site that feels that the using the Big Book is the best way to achieve sobriety.

On the other hand, we do not forbid you to use other material in your personal life. Especially for those who Higher Power is associated with a religious organization.

By using A.A. approved material we prevent material that might be offensive to people seeking recovery, like agnostics and atheists. Although the word god is used in the Big Book, which we have had a lot of discussion here about the word. We do our best to tell the people that look at it in a religious matter, that there are better ways of looking at the word. So we always suggest using Higher Power, by doing that the person can use anything they want in having a Higher Power.

I hope that helps a little.
Beginningagain4
John T.

davep54
Forums Enthusiast

Post by davep54 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:18 am

On a slightly different tack; my home group wanted to forgo discussing the chapters "to wives" and "to employers" at our BB study because they were outdated and not in keeping with feminist approaches to modern society. My response was even though I'm 30+ years sober I'm not smart enough to figure out what should be not discussed out of the BB. I also mentioned what happens if we get a bunch of Catholics (for example, no offence given) who want to exclude "we agnostics"? Call me a fundamentalist but I got sober with the whole 164 pages, not piecemeal. If talkers want to criticise parts of the BB from the floor that's their prerogative, but to cut it out altogether, uh uh, no way.

tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Post by tomsteve » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05 am

Our book is meant to be suggestive only. We realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us.

i find it rather funny when i hear or read of criticism of the BB,then suggest those critics put pen to paper and write a book on how to recover. i havent read or heard of any of them doing that. apparently easier to criticize an eloquently written book that, if looked with an open mind , applies today just as it did back 70 years ago.