Giulian barre

For recovery discussion
Just-trying
Forums Newcomer

Giulian barre

Post by Just-trying » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:33 am

I don’t know if I spelled the subject right but I was diagnosed with Giulian barre syndrome in mid June and I also am an alcoholic. I know that alcohol affects your nerves so I know that becoming sober will significantly help my progress and I’m trying but I’m finding it hard. I want to be sober and I NEED to be sober but I think about drinking everyday...and I wonder...how do people distract themselves from that thought and just move on to be sober? It’s only been three days says I’ve drank (this time) but I still think about it. I want to get it out of my head completely.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: Giulian barre

Post by Brock » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 am

Welcome to e-AA.

The thing about the AA program, is that it treats the symptoms of why we drink in the first place, the literature says _ “Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.” We do the 12 steps of the program, which are not as hard as they may appear at first, and then the literature says things like this happen -
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. 
Problem removed, it does not exist, and those who have done the program all know that this is true, and all it takes to keep it that way is to live the way the program suggests in steps 10 to 12, an easy way to live and a lot of fun. And there you have the answer to why we don’t think about drinking, because we are living a life which is great and the problem has been removed.

I will put links to some literature you can read when you have time, including a meeting finder. Meetings are important at first, there you will meet others who will help you, at first it’s a struggle because you are forcing yourself to stay away from the booze, but as written above, once you do the steps the struggle is over. Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments, we welcome new folks here just as we do in live meetings, and enjoy helping if we can.

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

BA Lodi
Forums Enthusiast

Post by BA Lodi » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:22 am

Here's a footnote to Brock's excellent explanation.

Whenever I've had a medical problem over the years, I've made sure my doctors understood that I am alcoholic. If I am not honest, I'm defeating my own self.

As a newcomer, I focussed on not drinking today and substituting AA in my head when the drinking thoughts came...I called someone, went to a meeting, read the literature, wrote down what was going on when the drinking thoughts came, thought the drink through to the humiliating end, held on and started all over again tomorrow. As soon as I got some distance on my last drink and was working Step 1, going to a lot of meetings and talking to other AAers, slight changes in my thinking led to new patterns of behavior, and I began to get better emotionally too.

If you already have a God of Your Understanding, turning over your drinking urges can help tremendously or so I've been told. I'm non-religious, so it probably took me longer through an educational process to accept that I was not in charge and to grasp spiritual principles. I did not try to be "good" or tackle spiritual rules directly. I just worked the Steps and it all happened.

Good luck! Barbara D, alcoholic

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:38 am

Hi, Just-trying!

Because I can identify with what you're going through, I would add another thought to the great stuff that Brock and BA Lodi wrote. I found that if I waited for the thought of a drink before turning to the AA solutions (making calls, praying, reading literature, planning a meeting), it was often too late. The craving and the rationalizing already had their hooks in me. So I had to make the calls and take the other good measures regularly, throughout the day, no matter how I was feeling. I had to fill the hole (revealed by not drinking) all day long because the hole was really my thoroughgoing spiritual emptiness and bad thinking--the "causes and conditions" themselves. The drinking, the "symptom," had only covered it. I needed to keep myself full of the solution so that my bad thinking couldn't catch me off guard and squeeze in a temptation.

I found myself saying thank you (to my higher power) all day, keeping in constant contact. Beautiful weather? Thank you! Rain? So peaceful--thank you! Stuck behind a school bus? Thank you--a chance to slow down and check my stress. Nothing to do and feeling restless? Perfect time to pick up the phone and see what my AA friends are up to--thank you!

A spiritual experience can be glorious and sudden, but the process of transformation and recovery happens over time as we climb the Steps and replace the habitual bad thinking with new, healthy thinking.
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

Db1105
Forums Contributor

Post by Db1105 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm

I was sober 10 years when I came down with guillain barre syndrome. The medical profession didn’t know then nor do they know know what causes it. Spent a month in the hospital, the rehab to get my strength back up. It took a good 5 years to fully recover except my equilibrium been messed up since then. I believe it had nothing to do with my alcoholism. What it did do was certify me belief and reliance on a Higher Power and that it does work.

Conan
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Conan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:45 pm

It's not in your mind. Nor in my mind.
But it is in the human soul.
I recently discovered this.
I'm not sure .
But ideas change and turn and sometimes fade easily. But things that hang in the human psyche may accompany us for life. This is for alcoholics. I am alcoholic. Drink some kind I make. Adore it.
But myself can not bear.
I feel fragile whether I drink or stop drinking alcohol
My soul ... do not see Do not hear Do not speak ... Taste things only ... likes or dislikes ...

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:01 am

Conan wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:45 pm
... I feel fragile whether I drink or stop drinking alcohol.
Your words made me think of this quote from the Big Book. I hope you have a book, if not let us know!
We, in our turn, sought the same escape with all the desperation of drowning men. What seemed at first a flimsy reed, has proved to be the loving and powerful hand of God. A new life has been given us or, if you prefer, "a design for living "that really works.
We each have our own god... all the same god I guess, just different ways of understanding what is likely not fully understandable anyway.

But hang on. "This too shall pass" is one of the sayings. If you feel ill when you stop, you might need medical attention for withdrawals.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB