Power greater than ourselves - HP. Are they the same

For recovery discussion

Re: Power greater than ourselves - HP. Are they the same

Postby Frihed89 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:36 am

I liked this: "When, therefore, we speak to you of God, we mean your own conception of [a] God."

I don't think it matters, how you conceive of a higher power, as long as your belief is strong enough to empower you to let go of the alcoholic side of your thinking and actions. Faith in a higher power can make you free to make the choices you need to make to recover. The will to drink is so powerful it consumes us totally and eats away at every aspect of our lives. It beats us down with compulsion to the point where drinking is no longer a personal choice...and we hate ourselves for it. I needed something in my life that would give me hope and that would help me to have the confidence and ability to make choices that would lead me down the path of sobriety and keep me on it. Making the right choices through my actions, based on my faith that I could make it, produced good results and strengthens my faith that I can stay sober day by day or minute by minute if the need arrises.

What I believe in is based on my experience and actions and not on authority from any religion or dogma. I needed a higher power to sober up and I need a higher power to stay sober. Without this faith I will easily become lost again.
Frihed89
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Greywolf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:23 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
We alcoholics talk as if WE are the only people who live by spiritual principles
Not sure about this. Perhaps its your belief that others think like that. Perhaps some do. But I can assure you, I am not part of that set.

We have a small reading comprehension problem here. I didn't mention having a belief that others think like that. We alcoholics (not all of course) (talk) as if WE are the only people who live by spiritual principles. I have no idea what people believe.

If you want to make comments about what I say, please restrict your comments to what I write. It's the only way we can have a conversation that works. It's next to impossible to defend a position I haven't spoken about. Or is that your intention?
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:58 pm

(not all of course)

Thats what i mean. Now we can move on or keep arguing.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Greywolf » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:37 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:
(not all of course)

Thats what i mean. Now we can move on or keep arguing.

I vote to move on. =biggrin
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions