Most Kind?

For recovery discussion

Most Kind?

Postby FYI » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 am

What was the biggest ‘kindness’ you ever received from someone in AA, has it affected your journey and how you treat others?
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: Most Kind?

Postby Brock » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I remember something a fellow called Brady did, it was the first time I went to a meeting at a church near our house, and afterwards he asked that since I had a car could I take charge of the scrolls, he said it was important, and no meeting could be held without them.

That they trusted me who they didn’t really even know, with those steps and traditions, made me feel pretty good and important, and of course made sure I came back to the next meeting. I found out some time later, that there was a secure cupboard that they could have been kept in together with the coffee and supplies, but the little gesture to show a new person that trust, and make them feel important to the group, is something I will never forget.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 pm

The very first meeting a guy gave me the big book and I felt so welcomed. Think that is one of the best gift ever.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby tomsteve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:27 am

FYI wrote:What was the biggest ‘kindness’ you ever received from someone in AA, has it affected your journey and how you treat others?

good question!
i can view the kindness 2 different ways. first would be situations like my very first meeting- i had remembered the chairperson from when i was court ordered but not ready. he smiled at me and said,"hey! glad ya made it back! welcome!"

then theres the kindness of my sponsor- kind and caring enough to call me on my BS when i didnt see it. he truly wanted to see me succeed and knew BS wasnt detrimental to success.
how that affected me? welp, at first i typically got pretty PO'ed. but then id see the BS, accept it, and work at changing.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Frihed89 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:45 am

I don't remember any unkindness in AA meetings, quite the opposite. The memories I recall most vividly are "Eskimo moments", when the most unlikely people just appeared out of nowhere to help me when I most needed it.
Frihed89
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:24 am

I would say sheepishly that the people in the rooms said they'd love me until I could love myself! I was nobody, I was fearful of trust and people who seemed to have some angle that I wasn't used to. That phrase I wrote has been said all over the world in the rooms of meetings I have attended over the years and it helped me and others grow to know that support comes in many forms.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions