The secret to long term sobriety

For recovery discussion

Re: The secret to long term sobriety

Postby Service » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Don't Drink and don't DIE! Day at a time nothing long term!
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby Layne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:02 am

When I determine that other people are being judgmental... I have just been judgemental. If I recognize that, I am in a better position to work on the judgmental people that I can possibly change and that number is actually a singular one...me.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Frihed89 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Practice the Program in one's daily life to the point where it becomes a habit and then don't stop. I have a daily reprieve from the hell of alcoholism, no more, no less.
Frihed89
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Db1105 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 am

Greywolf wrote:Don't drink and don't die. =biggrin

I concur!

This site amuses me that it turns into a B.B. debate about Ebby who passed decades ago instead about asking a member who has been sober 55 years how they go about life. As I recal, the Big Book was written about 5 years in and I’ll bet they had no concept that someone would still be at it 55 years in.

What’s kept me sober 40 years in is the the Big Book is the Foundation of our Felloship, and that the experiences, sharing, and helping this with one day, and even 55 years or more is what keep us going.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 am

This site amuses me that it turns into a B.B. debate about Ebby who passed decades ago instead about asking a member who has been sober 55 years how they go about life.

It’s amusing that you don’t see that the same member with 55 years, is the one who caused the debate, by replying to a perfectly valid observation, that a fit spiritual condition was also required, with this comment - “Ebby kept in a fit spiritual condition yet he didn't maintain his sobriety.”

The number of years sober, is not a guarantee that someone has a message useful to other alcoholics, we should read all that they have said, before telling others to learn from them.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 pm

we should read all that they have said, before telling others to learn from them.

Oh - I don't know... I think that we ALL are uniquely useful. Page 89 was the reading for a meeting I went to last night:
Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.

Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.

... Ministers and doctors are competent and you can learn much from them if you wish, but it happens that because of your own drinking experience you can be uniquely useful to other alcoholics. So cooperate; never criticize. To be helpful is our only aim.

We are ALL uniquely useful... with our drinking experience AND our sober experience.

Let us all have some working Faith that our HP does provide everything we need, even from flawed humans!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:46 pm

It’s amusing that you don’t see that the same member with 55 years, is the one who caused the debate, by replying to a perfectly valid observation, that a fit spiritual condition was also required, with this comment - “Ebby kept in a fit spiritual condition yet he didn't maintain his sobriety.”

The number of years sober, is not a guarantee that someone has a message useful to other alcoholics, we should read all that they have said, before telling others to learn from them.

It shows how identified people are.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Saying a debate was caused by a comment is taking a pretty shallow view of the origin. The reason for the debate is more faceted and complex than that.

The usefulness of a message is not determined by whether I agree with it or not, but by the openness of my mind to learning. What i learn may not be what was intended by the poster, but the learning is mine so i have input as to the lesson plan.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:41 am

If you look at the title and the message together, it implies the secret lies in not drinking. After reading all the stories in the big book and seeing all the relapses in 80 years of our history, you could see many people go dieing on us, especially the one with long term sobriety. Why do people relapse? They have been in the fellowship/meeting for a while. They know that the 1st drink is the problem, yet they took it.

If you take the story of the Car salesman, they clearly paint the picture for us. It goes "the gentleman failed to enlarge his spiritual life". And they show when that insane thought came through, he was not able to defend himself from taking that drink.

This being a open forum and lot of newcomers and "guests" visit this forum. What is wrong in adding ideas about the problem and the solution? As Brock pointed out it, it was the OP who dragged Ebby into the conversation.

We assume all the people that are in the rooms are alcoholics and they know what we are dealing with and thereby the solution that is the fundamental mistake we all need to bear in mind.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:33 am

Service wrote:Don't Drink and don't DIE! Day at a time nothing long term!

The first 2 responses were laughing & joking. It is one of those AA things we do - laugh at the obvious that might not be so obvious.

Then a debate started. And on page 3, it's keeping it going as well. Why do us alkies always need to win? To be the last voice? It's just a character defect of mine.

I am not dead yet & I have now spoken - you can lock the thread now. :lol: :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 am

Db1105 wrote:instead about asking a member who has been sober 55 years how they go about life.

What's remarkable to me is how many have decades of sobriety yet appear to have no clue as to how or why.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Db1105 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 am

Blue Moon wrote:
Db1105 wrote:instead about asking a member who has been sober 55 years how they go about life.

What's remarkable to me is how many have decades of sobriety yet appear to have no clue as to how or why.

Feel better now?
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to Discussions