Adversity.

For recovery discussion

Adversity.

Postby FYI » Wed May 02, 2018 10:50 am

Do you agree with this?
...Adversity gives us more opportunity to grow than does comfort or success." As Bill Sees It pg. 234.
FYI
Trusted Servant

Re: Adversity.

Postby Blue Moon » Wed May 02, 2018 11:38 am

Certainly. Comfort and success tend not to be very good teachers. Humans learn through struggle and failure.

The real challenge is to actually learn from it, not just be a victim to it.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 02, 2018 12:31 pm

FYI wrote:Do you agree with this?
...Adversity gives us more opportunity to grow than does comfort or success." As Bill Sees It pg. 234.

Absolutely. When I am comfortable I just sit with it.
It is the Law of Inertia...
"What is in motion tends to stay in motion" Like the domino effect!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 02, 2018 12:48 pm

FYI wrote:Do you agree with this?

It doesn't much matter whether I agree or not, it is my experience. I noticed that for 2 or 3 weeks after taking a step, I would be comfortable -- actually rather smug. Then before a month was out I was beginnng to be uncomfortable. I then knew it was time to take the next step.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Roberth » Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 am

I don’t know if adversity gives us more opportunity to grow but it sure is a better motivator
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm

I was just watching a spiritual speaker on you tube, a place where there is a lot of good spiritual stuff to be found. He was saying that suffering or adversity as we are calling it here, can bring great spiritual growth providing we accept it. Almost like the first step, admitting or accepting that we were in deep crap, by accepting it the door to a way out via spirituality opens. He even used the example of some spiritual people in places like India, who stand on one foot all their lives or ‘sleep’ on a bed of nails, that is real suffering or adversity, and it’s apparently done so they can grow spiritually. When bad things happen I try to think there is a lesson to be learned in how well I accept it.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 am

I am self indulgent. Left to my own will I will almost always do what feels best. So, I would not equate comfort & success with zero growth, but rabbit tend to run faster scared than dogs do hungry.

When things were going well in my life I pursued various interests, writing, working with community groups erc. etc. and there was DEFINITELY growth through doing those things.

Throughout human history civilizations in warmer climes, more accomodating to crops often did better than their cold weather counterparts. Tge Aztecs had roads and schools and taught people to be engineers and doctors while their northern counterparts had not yet discovered metal or written language.

Then again, the Aztecs weren't self indulgent alcoholics.
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions